Let's talk about Mks and what they'll do to a deer's internals.

jcpython357

Let\'s talk about Mks and what they\'ll do to a deer\'s internals.

Hey guys,
I had a chance to test my 150MKs for my 708, shooting into a box that held(for a moment)3 milk jugs filled with water and an old curtain stuffed in there to hopefully catch the bullet as it lost speed, yeah right, what lost speed, and for insurance an old railroad tie to really catch the bullet, anyway, paced off 100yds. and put the rifle on a halfassed rest, fire in the hole! CRACK went the rifle and at the same time my milk jugs were obliterated, Of course the hole going in was the size of the bullet, all 3 jugs were in tatters, blown to pieces, you get the picture, exit wound if you will in the back side of the box was the size of the quarter in my pocket, I could not for the life of me find the bullet in the old railroad tie, gotta be in there somewhere, at any rate, I wouldn't want to be the deer on the recieving end of this bullet, it didn't pencil through like some of the naysayers on AR.com say it would, it didn't go all to pieces either, made a perfect exit hole from what I saw. Needless to say, I'm sold on the MATCHKING for deer, Only question is, was that pretty much a typical exit hole and damage that's done when shooting through milk jugs? I'm thinking yes, Thanks for listening, Jay

Re: Let\'s talk about Mks and what they\'ll do to a deer\'s internals.

The plastic will blow apart like that with any round. Not a real world type comparison. The plastic has no elasticity and will just shread to pieces. I wouldn't make my bullet choice based on water jugs.

Clg9mm, I just wanted to see if the MK would poke right through or tear itself to pieces, and from what I could tell it held together pretty good, Jay

Jay,

If you want to see what the bullet looked like, shoot it through about 5-7 jugs and pick it out of the one it falls into. If you want, put pieces of cardboard in between each jug and number them to see the size of the hole it makes as it passes through each one. Laundry soap jugs work great too.
smile.gif

Water is a hard and incompressable substance, take it from the nuts who jump off bridges. I'm not too sure how bullet performance in water compares to performance in live tissue. I have shot many handgun bullets into a burlap bag which was floated just beneath the water. I got PERFECTLY mushroomed bullets every time and the water easily stopped the bullet within 2' which allowed them to fall into the burlap bag for retrieval.
Just a thought, but has anyone tried shooting Matchkings or any other bullets into a line of pumpkins, watermelons or similar material?

Here is the totality of my scientific testing of Matchking bullets on big game:
I shot one large whitetail doe with a 168gr Matchking from my 7 WBY mag. Bullet took her broadside in the chest, just behind the shoulder. Doe ran about 50 yards uphill and keeled over dead. Although I did not perform an autopsy to determine the extent of bullet expansion or tissue damage; the deer was quickly and hunanely dispatched.
That would constitute a 100% satisfactory performance standard for the Matchkings during my tests. Even DC couldn't boast to that!
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

VH

[ 10-12-2003: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Varmint hunter

Good going with the 168 gr MK.

I've had such good success with the Match Kings, I can't imagine a quicker kill then MKs give, then what I have witnessed through the scopes or Bigeyes.

My tests are on real animals and the final conclusions are, they die VERY quick and the wound channels are unbelievable.

Later
DC

Not a Matchking story but we recently followed the wound path in a mulie doe that had taken a 168 Nosler J4 in the front ribs, bullet went diagnally throught upper lungs, diaphragm, top of stomach and smashed the opposite femur (big rear leg bone - top one). We found a large chunk of lead, no jacket.
Distance of shot was just over 500 yards, this deer only went a short distance before she headed to that great alfalfa patch in the sky.

J.
The cartridge was the .308 Win., exact load was Win. brass and primer and 45 gr. Varget loaded at 2.830". Shoots very well in almost any rifle we try it in.
Guy's rifle was a new Rem. M-700 VS that shoots very well.

Thanks. I have a small 308 I was going to use, but unsure of grain weight. I have 155's and 168's. Probably go with the 168's.

Any problems with short range and them? 200 max with this crappy scope I have on it.

Quick personal story.

Shot a whitetail doe last season at about 150 yds with a 168gr MK (.308)

A little forward of the shoulder was the entry point, and the exit would, which was straight through, was about the size of a tennis ball.

Anyway, the doe bucked and ran toward me, as i was near the treeline and she was in the cornfield, so i grabbed my REM 870 and fired one more round as she passed me on my right side. She dropped about 20 yds from where i thought i hit her with the slug.

Turned out that when i examined the wound, it was, in fact, the .308 round that hit. The entrance and exit wounds were on the "wrong" sides to have come from the shotgun.

FWIW, Al

A good low-cost bullet test medium is wet newspaper. Soak it for at least 2 hrs then let it drain for a couple of minutes so that any test you do now will be relevent to any in the past or future.

Wet newspaper is reputed to have the same resistance to a bullet as muscle tissue. Lung tissue is softer so penetration and bullet integrity would be better than the result you get from newspaper.

Last spring I took a good sized black bear at about 300yds with a 240gr. MK from a 300 win mag. MV was 2850fps. Bear dropped in his tracks. He was running up hill and the entrance was the left side rib cage. When we got the hid off there were several smaller exits on the other side and the jacket was found stuck in the rib tissue on the exit side. Not premium bullet performance but the bear was sure impressed.

I recently shot a 4x4 Muley at 460 yards and a big black bear at 250 yards. I am using a .300 RUM with the 200g SMK. I hit the buck in the shoulder, (where I was aiming) and the bullet exited out the opposite shoulder leaving just about a baseball size exit hole. The deer dropped in his tracks. I hit the bear right behind the shoulder and it went a couple yards and piled over dead. I ended up finding the bullet just before you got to the offset hide. The bullet was pretty desintegrated, but the bear sure didn't complain. The internal destruction on both animals was by far the worst I have ever seen, even beat the B-tips I usually use. Those were my first 2 big game animals shot using Match Kings. I used the 100g SMK out of my 25/06 with erratic results on coyotes, meaning some expanded, some didn't, but in the end, they all proved to die very quickly. I am hooked on these SMK's for hunting, at least the 200g out of my 300 RUM. Next is elk season. Hoping to try them out on a bull that steps out. The biggest problem is finding one to shoot at.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.