Let's talk about 2 mile cartridges

Hello,

Ed, so you have gotten 350gr projectile over 4000fps? What 350gr 416 projectile? What propellant and is it compressed load?

When I get back to States this weekend we should talk about commercialization status.

Thanks,
THEIS

Just 350 gr jacketed hunting bullet. Comressed load. 300 gr surplus
ball powder, bullet out in long freebore. Flat base bullet loaded
way out, in slow twist barrel, real easy to get high speed.

Got better faster twist much heavier barrel
coming to do heavy testing for HSM,
416 barrel here is too light, gonna just do forming
with it.Commercial, be nice got to figure a way to make
them faster.If mfg did one there'd be changes to make it
perfect, or try to make it perfect..ED

Last edited:
Oscar:
The design concept is Jons'. I asked him if it would be OK to transpose it to the 375 and he was most obliging. Made up some estimates of water capacity to increase volume over what the Barrett holds and went to town with tooling. Having had experience from making the tooling for the 14.9 and ending with the rev4 version,(my changes) I hit it on the nose with the 375. Tossed the capacity issue around with Josh and Dan for about a week prior to starting. Water of the Barrett is 215, the 375 Warner is 236.
I've yet to hear from a couple of customers about the Barrett's velocity performance.

I'm working on a customer project that is based on the 50 with an expanded shoulder diameter and 30 degree for a 375 that shows a water cap of 263g. Tooling is done and only a few will be made till we ( the guys heading up the assembly) determine if it needs to be shortened a tad or two. They are just now chambering and readying for pressure tracing.

We have taken a few orders for the 375 Warner and will are producing dies and brass. The reamer is still proprietary so chambering for now is only available here. That may change at some point.

The primary reason I wanted to use a 50 is ignition. I am convinced that the Chey Tac does not have enough primer fire to light it off well. I get SD's in the single digits and ES mostly less than 10-12 with the 375 Warner. And that is with a powder that is not ideal .
Alan

Alan:

I'm surprised the descriptive name of the cartridge, before ".375 Warner", was .375/.50 - which to me rather assumes that the design has a case approximately the size of the parent or more with a neck down. From the pics and bits and pieces of the dialog, seems this is more of a 375/416 (notwithstanding that the brass is .50 BMG). Anyway, I look forward to the results. BTW, did you consider using the RWS .416B brass - or could you just not resist spending all the extra time making a size 7 out of a size 11? Thanks. Oscar

Alan:

I'm surprised the descriptive name of the cartridge, before ".375 Warner", was .375/.50 - which to me rather assumes that the design has a case approximately the size of the parent or more with a neck down. From the pics and bits and pieces of the dialog, seems this is more of a 375/416 (notwithstanding that the brass is .50 BMG). Anyway, I look forward to the results. BTW, did you consider using the RWS .416B brass - or could you just not resist spending all the extra time making a size 7 out of a size 11? Thanks. Oscar

Oscar:
It would make no difference in the number of operations to get the form finished and I have a good source for the 50 brass along with RWS primers. When it comes to experimental work like this, I just don't give a lot of weight to incidental costs. If and when we get this to 3700 with good , reliable performance will I even consider making changes. One step at a time. ------

FWIW, I've thought to inquire about obtaining straight wall drawings with the extractor cut and primer pocket in order to form down to the shape instead of having to neck up first.
Probably very premature even to think about commercialization at this point.
Alan

The primary reason I wanted to use a 50 is ignition. I am convinced that the Chey Tac does not have enough primer fire to light it off well. I get SD's in the single digits and ES mostly less than 10-12 with the 375 Warner. And that is with a powder that is not ideal .
Alan

I know you're busy but I ran across this reference to primers for larger capacity cases without having to step up to the .50 BMG:

The new Primer 6,5 mm
Grillmayer / Ginex

Hot new rifle primer for medium bores from .338 LAPUA and upwards
world first in 1/4" size - new technology in ignition of slow propellants.
New lease on life for all those .408 - improved enhanced ballistics for
the new breed of long range cals.
Excellent for those big African Cartridges - good for minus 41dg Centigrade.

I'm checking with a couple of suppliers to see if they can order these into stock.

Regards.

Hello,

Those primers are not available, not only in the USA but even international countries cannot get them.
My last inquiry to their CEO was they are too busy with other primer orders and even if they had the time I would have to purchase entire shipping container for it to be worth their time.

Maybe they changed their minds but I doubt it....

THEIS

Last edited:
Yes we inquired also and was told same and they
said last Nov, Nato orders would keep them busy for
at least a year but now it seems for a few years,
which is one reason we are developing 416 HSM
with bmg primers. And I wanted to get that
Ginex primer in the worst way..Ed

Nato orders would keep them busy for
at least a year but now it seems for a few years,

If not longer than that...
I was just at a Bulgaria munitions company and they are receiving 10 shipping containers per week of NATO approved primers from Ginex, but their order is for 20.....

Also this past February we tested those Ginex primers at Switzerland facility and their ignition temps were too iradict for ELR...IMO, so we haven't inquired for updated status.

THEIS

Here is case measurements for our 416 HE target case
made from our 585 HE big belted case. Ed

416heprint.jpg

Here is case measurements for our 416 HE target case
made from our 585 HE big belted case. Ed

416heprint.jpg

I know you run (or that it has been done) the 585HE in the Ruger #1 . What would be the max pressure you would say is safe to run the 416HE in the Ruger #1?? I am sure it would maybe not be a good idea to run full bore loads right? Would 50,000 PSI be safe?

Thanks

David

You can run 585, 375, 416 HEs in #! at 65,000 psi, the push on the breech is all the same, the #1 is as strong as the bolt actions we use..Ed

Last edited:
You can run 585, 375, 416 in #! at 65,000 psi, the push on the breech is all the same, the #1 is as strong as the bolt actions we use..Ed

Thanks for the Reply ED. How many grains does the 416 and 375 hold? Also has there been a 338 version tested yet?

Thanks

David