Let's talk about 2 mile cartridges

EXPRESS:

I never received the appropriate training to set up this problem but these seem to be at least some of the factors to be considered:

1. Material spec - probably yield strength in psi.
2. The area of the projectile, adjusted for the fact that the full cross-section is not what will be impacting the target. The bullet manufacturer's meplat data is a start but certainly too small an area to correctly define the area over which the impact will be applied over time.
3. The energy still in the projectile at the target distance (JBM has that info).
4. An allowance for friction while piercing the target, i.e., the impact of material lubricity and surface coating, if any.
5. An allowance for the deformation of the projectile while piercing the target - the projectile will expand and thus be dealing with more and more target area as it tries to pierce the target. The type of the projectile material will have a significant effect on how well its shape is maintained - an AP vs soft lead point.

Possibly Bryan Litz or the guy that produces the JBM calculators might find this problem interesting enough to spend a few minutes with it. Bryan's contact is [email protected]. See the JBM contact page at JBM Contact

As one point of reference, URSA targets are 3/8" AR500 and we do not even dent them with 50 BMG at our starting distances (2054 or 2080 yards).

Express- Ed Hubel here. Those CNC turned cases probably will not stand high enough

pressures to get the speed you need.. The 375 Lethal and the 375 Warlord are nearly

the same and made from our 585HE brass. The Warlord guy wants his out in

public domain, so maybe contact him for cases or maybe for the dies to make cases from

our 585HE and you can get our cases direct from Bertram.. And maybe use the CNC guys

to make bullets like Mitch used winning the 2 Mile Shoot. Mitch is here in Michigan close

to where I live and I just took Mitch couple big boxes of 585 cases for a bunch

of long range gun packages they are doing for others. Ed

Last edited:
I think its pretty similar to the 375 Warlord. They're all going to be somewhat limited by powders though. Like they mention on the LPA website, use of the 400+ grain bullets will be limited because there just aren't powders out there slow enough to make full use of the case capacity with bullets that heavy.

I have a reamer print drawn up for a .458 off of the Barrett case that I wanted to use for a super heavy ELR gun. I just don't have time to really start working on it, so it's kind of on hold right now.

If it's not too much trouble could you or someone else please explain powder burn with large bullets in these cases being an issue?

I have a Bat CT action, McMillan a5 supermag stock and Bartlein gain twist 12 to 7 twist I planned on chambering it in 375 Snipetac but if I can get the reamer and dies should I go with 375 lethal mag or warlord? Also I got the barrel in that twist to shoot 400 to 450 cutting edge bullets But this has me concerned that I may not get it to perform with the powder burn issue. If so I found a 10 twist Bartlein I can get for 350 to 375gr bullets would this be a better option with the the lethal or warlord ?

CHW:

As I see the CT case next to the .375 Lethal Magnum case (The KING), I seriously question that the BAT CT will handle the LH - bolt face diameter. As best I recall, the bolt face in that action is fairly thin in the sidewall.

Since 375 ST dies are really scarce (if you know of any I have a good friend that is looking for same), if you can make the LH fit, I'd go with it.

There are powders slow enough for the 375 Lethal and 375 Warlord.

They are surplus powders like WC 872 ball only slower and slow speed

surplus stick powders that are as slow as slowest bll powders.

But with these powders, it is hard for large rifle primers to ignite most of them.

So we have to test and see what works. With 585 cases used as 585 no problem

as we don't have to go that slow of powders.

A possible solution see next post....Ed

Who sells the # 6.53-.070 GINEX Boxer Primers in the US.

Or who imports them or could import them.

It is made by Ginex in Bosnia. It is .254" OD compared to

.210" OD of large rifle primers that we mainly use here in US.

It has 68 mgs of priming mixture compared to 38- 40 for large rifle

primers and 120-130 mgs for BMG primers..

I will try to get these, and if I can, the 585 HE cases that we

supply guys to make 375 cases, I will ream pockets to take these

primers, if they want, so as to be able to use the slowest powders

in case full amounts for top velocity. ....Ed

The first run of cases the rim is .654" the same diameter as the .654" belt.

Second larger run rim is .640" -- same as Gibbs/Cheytac size and

the belt is .654" like others. I have both here. Bertram also. Ed

image.jpg

Will my 12 to 7 gain twist work well with 350-375gr bullets or would it be better to get a 9 or 10 twist?

Mitch is doing one in Bat for a guy, his first was a Lawton Stiller.

Best is plain ole round singleshots.

It might work, he used 1 in 8 twist for 400gr. Ed