Lets talk .338 bullets

angus-5024

I've been wondering about all my options for .338 bullets that people are liking. I'm shoting a .338 RUM and have had very good results on paper with the 300 SMK and Okay results with some old barnes triple shock 250 grainers.
I wonder if the 300 grainer are goin too slow, and I dont really like how the barnes are preforming. Lets here your favorite's. Some that Im interested in are
-300SMK
-250 SMK
-250 AB
-250 Game King
-225 AB
-225 Game King
-225 Interbond
-200 Ballistic Tip

any custom huting bullets are welcome too!

Right now, my load of choice is 97 gr of RL25 in front of a 225 NAB @3300, the only problem is that I have begun to question the terminal performance of the 225 NAB, on the other hand, nothing has walked away from being hit with them. I am thinking of trying the tipped tripple shock or the hornady 225 gmx when they are available. I also have several boxes of 215 game kings and 250 game kings but I haven't tried them in this barrel yet.

Have a try with the Hornady, 250 grain BTHP Match bullet.
This is what one does out of a .338WM, imagine what it would do out of the .338RUM.

mypic19.jpg

I forgot to mention that I hope (if I get the draw) to go after a Grizz this spring, so If anyone has any experience with Grizz hunting, let me know what you used and how it worked out for you.

D.Camilleri,
I have been thinking about the 225 AB's alot, but recently have heard some doubts about terminal performance. Going after Grizz using a fragile bullet may be a risk that I'm not overly inclined to take. Thus far it is between the AB and the triple shock. I will use the 300 grain SMK if I can get a magazine that will let me load them close to the lands.

Topshot,
What kind of animal is that anyways? I sure look lke there was no issue with expansion!

thanks for the posts and keep em' comin'!

Topshot,
What kind of animal is that anyways? I sure look lke there was no issue with expansion!

thanks for the posts and keep em' comin'!

It was a Sambar Stag,
Bigger than a Red Stag but a bit smaller than a Bull Elk. One very tough animal.
The stag was shot at about 150 yards with a .338WM and the 250 grn Hornady Match bullet. It put a 3" hole right through the shoulder blade and a 5" hole through the chest beyond.

It died instantly as you would imaging.

I like the 225 and the 250 Accubonds in my 338 RUM.

I have had no issues with ether, only good accuracy and terminal performance.

I don't like bullets that grenade and prefer to use controled expansion bullets IE;
Bonded core,Partition type or mono metal bullets so they expand but don't come apart
and destroy a lot of meat.

I use a lot of Nosler Partitions and Accubonds for hunting and Berger's and Match Kings
for paper.

Just my preference but ultimately the rifle has the last word.

J E CUSTOM

I've been wondering about all my options for .338 bullets that people are liking. I'm shoting a .338 RUM and have had very good results on paper with the 300 SMK and Okay results with some old barnes triple shock 250 grainers.
I wonder if the 300 grainer are goin too slow, and I dont really like how the barnes are preforming. Lets here your favorite's. Some that Im interested in are
-300SMK
-250 SMK
-250 AB
-250 Game King
-225 AB
-225 Game King
-225 Interbond
-200 Ballistic Tip

any custom hunting bullets are welcome too!

I didn't know Nosler was making a 250 AB.
If so, what is the BC?

My rifle likes the 300 SMK best of all that I have tried.

A MV of 2730 or so is only ~100 FPS off of the 338 Edge MV with the same bullet says the velocity is good enough for any thing I go after and at pretty much any reasonable distance up to 950 yds limited only by the capabilities of the scope.

I didn't know Nosler was making a 250 AB.
If so, what is the BC?

Ernie.

In my rifle the ballistic tables work out to be around .587 BC . some say 585 and some claim
590s.

They are good bullets and seem very accurate at long distance.

Terminal performance is also good at the longer ranges.

J E CUSTOM

If we are talking about a bullet for grizzly, then I would have to say Swift A Frame, they are very dependable to not come apart. I would opt for either 250 or 275 grain versions.

D.Camilleri,
Do you know what the B.C is on both those bullets? I am interested in the both, but more so the 275 grain. I know that the Barnes are good for Grizz but its always better to have options.

I think that Im going to use the 300 SMK for most big game, I just need a longer Mag.

In May 09 I went to South Africa and shot 13 plains game animals with my .338 RUM and 250 Swift A-Frames. I have to say that I was most impressed with the bullet performance. I shot a lot of heavy bodied animals like a Wildebeest, Kudu, Zebra and Gemsbok. The only bullet I recovered was from a Wildebeest and and after traveling most of the length of the animal, still weighed 237grs. I have also taken two large black bears in British Columbia the year before while on a Griz hunt and they preformed equally well there. I only wish I could give you a report of how they did on a Griz, but it was not to be.

Totch

I don't understand what you mean that the Barnes are not performing. They are the only perfectly forming 100% dependable hunting bullet on the market that shoots like a target bullet with an acceptable BC. The BC is not quite at the top of the heap, but close, and in hunting BC is only one of the factors to consider. Hunting is not target shooting. I have shot or guided hunters who have shot animals with virtually every bullet you listed. You said grizzly so eliminate most of those. Yesterday four of us were shooting some 338-300 ultramags that I built back in 98-99 time frame using the 225 Barnes TTSX. These have had quite a few shots through them. We were holding 1" groups out to 400 yards with them at velocities up to 3320 fps with low extreme spreads. The new Barnes with the cute little rings cut in them will shoot like a target bullet.

I honestly thought and hoped the 225 Accubond would be the answer but it has failed miserably out of several big 338's this season at various yardage out to 750 yards. Just blows all to crap when it hits something. The Barnes blows right through anything with a perfect mushroom every time. It is the premier hunting bullet on the market.

With your 338 ultramag you have a very good half mile rifle and most hunting is done inside that range. With the 300 matchking you can go beyond that but I like a bigger 378 case or something going that far. You mentioned grizzly, no 300 matchking. I shoot a lot of bullets and test a lot of stuff through all my contacts. With all things considered in a bullet to take everything in North America with a 338 ultramag I am convinced the 225 Barnes TTSX at .514 BC is the best hunting bullet available. BC is actually a little better than that I think. The next would be the Swift Scirroco 200 grain at .507 BC. The Swift is tougher than the accubond but still nothing beats the Barnes for performance on game so I list it number one. The BC on the Swift would be max. It might be slightly lower but very close to that.

With the 338-300 and the 338 ultramag I think they are best suited shooting the lighter bullets giving you a much better trajectory eliminating click adjustments out to 800 or so yards. Just use a mil dot scope and get on game quick. I would not have killed my big bull the other day with my 338 ultramag at 740 yards if I had to use clicks. Just didn't have time. If I am shooting the 300 matchking way out there I shoot a bigger gun that gets substantialy more velocity than the ultramag stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.