Let's see your Varmint rifles !

77/22 with machII barrel....

IMG_3339_zps3f3f105d.jpg
Excuse me Sir, but what did the backstraps weigh in at on this fine specimen?

Did I see some dead rodent draped over the stock of a shorty rifle ? - Imagine pressing your face against filth and possibly catching some horrible disease - plague transmitted by rodent body fluids, most likely urine. Hopefully, health insurance would pay for the $ thousand antibiotic treatments. Possibly, some ballistic quality nitrile gloves might be large and stretchy enough to fit over the gun owners head.

Shooting cats? I guess it may not be illegal but I would keep in mind the possibility that not all cats are feral and a claim could be made against the shooter for destruction of someone's property and having the case heard before some female judge (human) that happened to be a cat lover. Claims of causing emotional damage, distress and anguish might up the $ claim against the shooter - Judgments are nasty and last a long time. Then there are animal abuse/cruelty charges arising from causing the death of the animal intentionally. Yes, life is not fair!

Indigenous game animals on private property are under the control of state fish & feathers.

I heard that President/General Eisenhower of D-Day 1944 fame had a farm in rural Pennsylvania and used arms to protect innocent birds from cats.

Me - longest shot on small rodent (prairie dog) just under 1,000 using .22-.250, 75 ELDM.

IMG_1417.JPG

Life is not fair. I don't take or show show photos of thousands of bloody, gut exposed, dismembered & blown up dead rodents because that would encourage analysis from mental health providers.

Photo included - no "hijack" intent.

In closing, "show me a cat that eats mice and I will show you a cat that has bad breath" - Garfield, circa 1970 - 1980?

Last edited:
The stock is a thumb-hole design by Jim Cloward, an old time Seattle area gunsmith who had a outstanding career in shooting - winner of Wimbleton cup, WA state hi-power champ, armorer for our Palma team, successful hunter in North America, Africa, & New Zealand with a complete trophy room including Lions, Elephant, Cape Buff, Antelopes, Sables, Elks, Deers, & Bears and even a stuffed coyote.

The stock was duplicated from a Rem 700 SA pattern but left un-inletted and I finished the rest of it for a push feed Ruger M77 MKII push feed. It has a Timney trigger, single shot. The fore-end tip is 3 pieces of J-B Weld laminated cherry salvaged from my late parent's bed-room set. (I have lots of it remaining). The barrel is a Lilja #5 contour, McGowen made, 7.7 twist, 4 l&g, 26 inch. Favored load is 75 H ELDM with RL16, H4350, SW4350, 4000MR, and it even does well with T8000 & 75 grain H hpbt bullets. This is the 3rd barrel, not including the original barrel. Stock is American black walnut having 1st rate grain flow. I built a second one for wifey, identical except for maple stock & shorter pull. Her rifle shoots slightly better than mine - the barrel is heaver and it has 7.7 twist 5R rifling (slanted edges land to groove (cleans up quick & easy). The Leupold 6-18 AR Mod 1 scope is an excellent scope for the money and has enough elevation adjustment to reach 1,000. A useful mil dot reticle at 18X & .1 mil dot adjust.

Thank-you for your interest.

Last edited:
Hugnot,
Thanks for the details, again a beautiful rifle. The cherry wood forend tip from your folks is very cool, a real keepsake, first day of fall so your probably getting out the big rifle, have a good season, MT.

I tend to like rifles that don't kick too much. My go to P. Dog rifle is a sweet little (9lbs) Small BSA Martini, in .222 Rem. carries a Hart Stainless barrel, and likes Sierra 52-53gr HPBTs, over 4198, or BL-C2.
That's an early Simmons scope on it.

Attachments

• Radio 438.jpg
    Radio 438.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 107
  • Radio 439.jpg
    Radio 439.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Radio 440.jpg
    Radio 440.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Radio 441.jpg
    Radio 441.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 94
I tend to like rifles that don't kick too much. My go to P. Dog rifle is a sweet little (9lbs) Small BSA Martini, in .222 Rem. carries a Hart Stainless barrel, and likes Sierra 52-53gr HPBTs, over 4198, or BL-C2.
That's an early Simmons scope on it.

That there is a bee-you-tee. Wish I still had my Rem 788 in .222 Rem.