Lets hear about your wildcats

7mm blaser improved to 37 degree and straighter sidewall. Seems to shoot berger 175. 180, 184, and 195 equally well. Shooting 195s and 68.3g h1000 from 24" proof cf at node of 2840, 2890 with surpressor now. Thoroughly impressed with this T/S Customs build

I might have missed it, but why use 375rum brass instead of 300rum? Any other details on your texan? Love to see details. Thanks

I was lucky enough to have the first 338 Texan. This thread shows it's evolution.

I might have missed it, but why use 375rum brass instead of 300rum? Any other details on your texan? Love to see details. Thanks

The Texan series of cartridges all use the 375 RUM cases because they can be necked down to form a donut to head space off of instead of seating the bullet against the lands or using the COW method saving one loading and finish fireforming in just one shot with very good accuracy while fireforming (I hunt with them while fire forming and they are consistently around 1/2 MOA while fire forming

The 30 Texan and the 7mm Texan both require the parent case to be expanded to one caliber larger and then necked back down to the original caliber for ease of chambering with proper head space. The donut also supports/holds the loaded cartridge with zero head space, like the Ackley cartridges do to minimize case growth and seal the chamber during firing.

All the RUM cases are the same volume except the 338 RUM so the 375 Rum cases cover the 338 Texan, 358 Texan the soon to be 375 Texan and the 416 Texan. The 7 mm RUM and the 300 RUM Are better for the 7mm and the 30 Texan sizing process. Increasing the case capacity by up to 20 grains requires different processes for the different Texan's so choices were made to use the different cases for some of the Texan's for ease of sizing.

Originally I tried the 375 RUM case for the 30 Texan but found the process work hardened the case to the point of collapsing the shoulders and annealing before sizing/forming the cases increased the chances of collapsing the shoulders so the decision was made to do the annealing after the case was formed for fire forming.

J E CUSTOM

The Texan series of cartridges all use the 375 RUM cases because they can be necked down to form a donut to head space off of instead of seating the bullet against the lands or using the COW method saving one loading and finish fireforming in just one shot with very good accuracy while fireforming (I hunt with them while fire forming and they are consistently around 1/2 MOA while fire forming

The 30 Texan and the 7mm Texan both require the parent case to be expanded to one caliber larger and then necked back down to the original caliber for ease of chambering with proper head space. The donut also supports/holds the loaded cartridge with zero head space, like the Ackley cartridges do to minimize case growth and seal the chamber during firing.

All the RUM cases are the same volume except the 338 RUM so the 375 Rum cases cover the 338 Texan, 358 Texan the soon to be 375 Texan and the 416 Texan. The 7 mm RUM and the 300 RUM Are better for the 7mm and the 30 Texan sizing process. Increasing the case capacity by up to 20 grains requires different processes for the different Texan's so choices were made to use the different cases for some of the Texan's for ease of sizing.

Originally I tried the 375 RUM case for the 30 Texan but found the process work hardened the case to the point of collapsing the shoulders and annealing before sizing/forming the cases increased the chances of collapsing the shoulders so the decision was made to do the annealing after the case was formed for fire forming.

J E CUSTOM
So you do use the 300rum case for the 30texan. Thanks. I must have missed that. Look forward to seeing the performance. Definitely one of my favorite cases.

edit- does the 7 texan use the 300 rum case or 7rum?

Last edited:
So you do use the 300rum case for the 30texan. Thanks. I must have missed that. Look forward to seeing the performance. Definitely one of my favorite cases.

edit- does the 7 texan use the 300 rum case or 7rum?

The 7 Texan will use the 7 RUM brass. I started out wanting to use the 375 RUM brass for all Texan's But as we all know, Not every idea works out like planed when you are in uncharted territory. The sizing process just works better using. 7 RUM and 300 RUM brass for those calibers even though they are more or less identical cartridges.

Performance

So far the 416 Texan has increased velocity Of a 400 grain bullet by 300+ ft/sec over the 416 Rem Mag with normal pressures. (I was after 2650 to 2700 ft/sec to fill the gap between the 416 rem mag and the 416 Weatherby without high pressures that normally are associated with high temperature's in Africa).

The 358 Texan has bested all 358's by 1 to 200 ft/sec again at normal pressures.

The 338 Texan has exceed my design requirements of 3,000 ft/sec with a 300 grain bullet and reached 3150 ft/sec with the big 300 grain bullet.

At this time the 30 Texan test have not been completed but has easily top the RUM and is in 30/378 territory with less powder and pressure.

The 30 Texan and the 7mm Texan are still a work in progress and when testing is finished I will up date.

Just having fun

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Well, in 2009-2010, I made my own .30 Mag by running a .375 Ruger into a .300 RCM die. Now the doosh bags at Hornady call it the PRC and refuse to accept that I had it years before them.

The 7 Texan will use the 7 RUM brass. I started out wanting to use the 375 RUM brass for all Texan's But as we all know, Not every idea works out like planed when you are in uncharted territory. The sizing process just works better using. 7 RUM and 300 RUM brass for those calibers even though they are more or less identical cartridges.

Performance

So far the 416 Texan has increased velocity Of a 400 grain bullet by 300+ ft/sec over the 416 Rem Mag with normal pressures. (I was after 2650 to 2700 ft/sec to fill the gap between the 416 rem mag and the 416 Weatherby without high pressures that normally are associated with high temperature's in Africa).

The 358 Texan has bested all 358's by 1 to 200 ft/sec again at normal pressures.

The 338 Texan has exceed my design requirements of 3,000 ft/sec with a 300 grain bullet and reached 3150 ft/sec with the big 300 grain bullet.

At this time the 30 Texan test have not been completed but has easily top the RUM and is in 30/378 territory with les powder and pressure.

The 30 Texan and the 7mm Texan are still a work in progress and when testing is finished I will up date.

Just having fun

J E CUSTOM
No penetration is gained when over-driving .416 bullets. Once you go above 2400-2500, you are punishing yourself for zero gain. Thats why people in Africa still use the Rigby. Same with the .375's. The .378 Wby is answer to no question. Just pointless bravado.

I never knew this myself, until I started talking to PH's that live and hunt South Africa. I always thought more speed = more gooder ,but when over-driven, penetration can actually be less on animals like the Cape Buffalo.

No penetration is gained when over-driving .416 bullets. Once you go above 2400-2500, you are punishing yourself for zero gain. Thats why people in Africa still use the Rigby. Same with the .375's. The .378 Wby is answer to no question. Just pointless bravado.

I would have to disagree with that because most dangerous game is hunted with solids for better penetration and higher velocity means better penetration. I have many friends that hunt Africa and they would strongly disagree, and there request was the reasons that the 416 Texan was developed. The deeper the bullet goes in the game hunted, the more vitals it will effect. It also means better trajectory if needed. (The 416 Texan has a trajectory that closely matches a 270 Winchester making single leaf sights adequate).

The other issue was the pressure spike when temperatures go well above 110o loads can become troublesome and ejection of a round for a second shot is need and not available. The reason most PH's preferred the double rifle so there was always a second shot availability.

Recoil will always be a factor In any cartridge/rifle package and many can't manage the recoil
of even a 375 H&H, so it becomes a personal choice of what you want to use and how good your PH is with his really big rifle if hunting something that wants to turn you into that green and red stuff between his toes.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Normally what people use is what they are use to and the fact that it is what they have.

I have never developed my own but I have a wildcat for hunting Indiana public land. It's a 358 Winchester case shortened to 1.8" it's called the 358 Hoosier. I got into it so I could hunt public land with a rifle (instead of a shotgun) but it's really grown on me.

It's not as flashy as the 358 Wsm Indiana wildcats or the big magnums but it's a thumper for sure!

Tagging in.

JE I was hoping you would build my rifle here when the parts come in. What is the difference between your 30 Texan and 300 rum?

The 30 Texan is the 300 RUM case that has been modified to it's max and the Case capacity has been increased to 129.5 grains with usable volume of 119 grains with bullets seated to Magazine length. Other features are proprietary at the moment.

Testing is almost done and I am very happy with the performance at this time.

Sorry I missed your post.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.