Lets hear about your wildcats

Indiana currently has a unique reg for deer-legal rifles. .358 minimum bullet diameter, 1.8" maximum case length. The intent was to allow all handgun cartridges through 460SW shot through rifles, but they actively encouraged wildcatting.

After waiting years to make sure the regs were stable, I had a wildcat built. There are several very similar .358 WSM 1.8" designs, all perform very close. I believe my particular version was designed by my smith. 225gr Accubonds at just shy of 2800 fps -- a bit more than 35 Whelen power in a little piggy of a cartridge.

The cases I bought from my smith (expensive) were formed from 325 WSM, which are very hard to find. I picked up a bag of 300 WSM a couple weeks ago and decided to give it a go at forming my own cases. Using my FL die and good lube, I managed to push the shoulders WAY back in small increments and only ruin 9/50 cases (most at the beginning before I learned what worked). Then I cut off the 30cal neck at its shoulder with a hacksaw, uniformed on my trimmer, then expanded to .358 with my die. This left just a few hundredths to trim off to get a finished case.

I took deer out to 325 yards with it this year and was very impressed with how it performed. Of course after dropping the coin to do this, it now looks like they will open up to all .243 and larger rifles for 2015...It's still a good lightweight rifle packing a big punch.

I've built a ton of wildcats over the years and still do a bunch of them. I've done 22BR, 6BR, .243AI, 6-284, a 6mm-270 Imp (like a .243 Catbird), 6.5-284 (way before it was standardized), 6.5-300wm, .270-7rm, 7-300wm, 30-338wm, 30-8mm Mag, 30-358STA, 30-338 Norma Imp, 30-338 Lapua Imp., 30-378 Weatherby Imp, 30-378 Weatherby and 338-378 Weatherby (before it they were standardized), 308 Baer, 338 Baer, 338 Edge, 358STA, 375-358STA, 375JRS, 416 RUM, 458-358STA, .500 A-Square. I'm sure there are more but I'd have to go look through my old reamers and data. I also still own a large portion of the above rifles. I've built my own guns for 22 years so it allows me to play much more than the average person. I'll do a 6.5SAUM and 6x47L in the near future and I have some other wildcat ideas I'll probably do this year.

Lets see here, got 7 going for now .....

Got a couple going and a few coming .... two still secret .....
I've mentioned some of these in other threads

7mm Long Range Hunter reamer is in, rifle under construction
8mm Long Range Hunter reamer is in production ...
both of these are off the 338 Norma Mag case maxed out ....

460 Zeus reamer is in, waiting on barrel and gun parts ...
parent case is the 416 Barret maxed out, necked up & beats the 460 Steyr case capacity in a shorter length .... thems high bc Lehighs gonna thump some at LR

got a couple mini wildcats I've been considering in doing for several years now and finally ordered up the reamers ....
The 6.5 Wolf Killer and 243 Coyote Killer wildcats are off the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser , maxed out case dimensions and 35 degree shoulders... ballistically similar to the 6.5-284 Norma and 6-284 cartridges ...
The build is on a Tikka T3 in a Manners Elite Hunter stock with 5 round extended factory mags..

The 6.5mm reamer is set up to load 140 gr Berger Hybrids kissing the rifling with base of bullet bottoming out at base of neck without impacting case capacity

Forming the 6.5 Wolf Killer is easy, open case necks with 7mm-08 fl die then size down neck in 6.5 Swede fl die for headspace and fireform .....

The 243 Coyote Killer is simply a necked down 6.5 Wolf Killer...., use 243 Win fl die to neck down new 6.5 Swede brass for headspace and fireform .....
reamer is set up for the 105 gr Berger Hybrids kissing the rifling while seated to base of neck ..
Factory Redding 6.5 Swede dies will be converted to bushing dies for these wildcats ..

My Tikka T3 Light stainless in 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser will get rechambered to the 6.5 Wolf Killer and used for fireforming brass and load developement, will be simple enough as 6.5-284 Norma load data can be used, excellent quality Lapua brass is available and is almost half the price of 6.5-284 brass ...

Have 6.5mm & 6mm Bartlein barrels for the project and waiting on reamers ...

**** Disclaimer **** Hahaha !
These two wildcats are not intended to compete with any existing same cal. cartridges, just something I wanted to do for a light carry rifle that will double as a snowmobile, showshoe, cross country ski wolf hunting and goat, sheep hunting rifle ....

Happy New Year everybody !!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 266
The "Killer" rifle ....

Tikka T3 Lite stainless set in a Manners Elite Hunter stock and factory extended 5 round mags
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X44 EBR-1 Illuminated reticle scope set in light weight Talley base/rings
currently in 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser & soon to be in the
6.5 Wolf Killer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 142
Tagging in.

JE I was hoping you would build my rifle here when the parts come in. What is the difference between your 30 Texan and 300 rum?

I have a 303-25 on a Lee Enfield action. Shoots 75gr SST @ 3200, 90gr Gamekings and 100 gr Pro hunters, all accurate under an inch groups.

Hmm one of my new favorites is a 20/47 Laupa, shoots a 57 gr bullet at 3875 fps. I like this even over a 22-250 that small bullet ha a BC of 411. Also shoots 55 gr Berger good to.

My 7mm /338 Norma 35 degree long neck is passing up the 7 mm Ultra. But I have to throat everything long. I am shooting 192 CE at 3100fps but want to get to 3250 this next spring. Hoping to will see.

Finally got back to testing the 30 Texan and I am Pleasantly surprised.
It is based off the 375 RUM cases and the improvements boosted the case volume 17 grains.
Forming the brass has been interesting and it appears (For now) that forming works best with out annealing first. The shoulders tend to collapse sometime while sizing down to 30 cal. if annealed even in steps, so the strength of the un annealed shoulder seems to prevent this. After resizing My intention is to anneal before loading to aid in final forming.

The first test results were very good while fireforming using a 180 grain Ballistic tip and 103 grains of 50 BMG (I may back off to 101 grains for fire forming even though accuracy was very good while forming (.563 5 shot group, 3139 ft/sec lowest, 3158 ft/sec highest with a SD of 9).

Accuracy is good enough that I plan to hunt with it and fire form at the same time.
Once I get the cases fireformed, and load chamber size ammo, I will update with the final bullet size and performance.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Plus 1 on annealing afterward Jerry.
I learned that when i was developing my stuff.
Sounds like you have a good one there👍

Plus 1 on annealing afterward Jerry.
I learned that when i was developing my stuff.
Sounds like you have a good one there👍

Thanks !
I think you are afflicted with the same illness to push the envelope like I am, and sometimes you have to get into the unknown to find out what works for different cartridges.

I really enjoy your post and insight as to what works best and what you have done with your designs.

J E CUSTOM

While I'm no wildcat pioneer like some of y'all I had a 257 Rob AI built and have enjoyed getting it running.

Currently I'm running 110 accubonds at 2950 and it's devastating on whitetails!

Have a fast twist 22-06 that shoots 70 gr TSXs @3700.
Save a mint K31 w/bad bore with a JES rebore of my creation the 35x55.

IMG_3709.jpg

K31w:scope.jpg

Finally got back to testing the 30 Texan and I am Pleasantly surprised.
It is based off the 375 RUM cases and the improvements boosted the case volume 17 grains.
Forming the brass has been interesting and it appears (For now) that forming works best with out annealing first. The shoulders tend to collapse sometime while sizing down to 30 cal. if annealed even in steps, so the strength of the un annealed shoulder seems to prevent this. After resizing My intention is to anneal before loading to aid in final forming.

The first test results were very good while fireforming using a 180 grain Ballistic tip and 103 grains of 50 BMG (I may back off to 101 grains for fire forming even though accuracy was very good while forming (.563 5 shot group, 3139 ft/sec lowest, 3158 ft/sec highest with a SD of 9).

Accuracy is good enough that I plan to hunt with it and fire form at the same time.
Once I get the cases fireformed, and load chamber size ammo, I will update with the final bullet size and performance.

J E CUSTOM
I might have missed it, but why use 375rum brass instead of 300rum? Any other details on your texan? Love to see details. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts