Lets discuss one of my favorite topics. The 30 cals

No offense, but I see a 32" barrel like I would guys that heated and rolled shotgun barrels down smaller to cheat at ham/Turkey shoots. Seems like at that point you might as well mount it to a vehicle with that yard stick barrel haha

No offense taken. It's a Hunting slash ELR rig. I wanted to dabble in ELR shooting and still be able to do some light hunting. It's not a packing rifle that is for sure. But out here on the plain's it will be just fine. Could still get over 3300 fps with a 28" barrel.

If I was to go full ELR I would put 36" to 42" barrel on it... LOL :D That could be an extra 80 to 200 FPS. That would go a long way in ELR shooting.

whats the capacity?

.300BSM is right around 138 grains H2O to the top of the neck.

.300 HCM is right around 142 grains H2O to the top of the neck.

Kirbys .300 Raptor is another big .30 cal.

No offense taken. It's a Hunting slash ELR rig. I wanted to dabble in ELR shooting and still be able to do some light hunting. It's not a packing rifle that is for sure. But out here on the plain's it will be just fine. Could still get over 3300 fps with a 28" barrel.

If I was to go full ELR I would put 36" to 42" barrel on it... LOL :D That could be an extra 80 to 200 FPS. That would go a long way in ELR shooting.

.300BSM is right around 138 grains H2O to the top of the neck.

.300 HCM is right around 142 grains H2O to the top of the neck.

Kirbys .300 Raptor is another big .30 cal.
Regardless you have an amazing rig!

Is the .30-378 still the king? With all these new cartridges, is there even a still a place for the monster Roy, with its hen teeth brass, and disposable barrels?

If you made a 30 cal with 8mm Rem Mag brass, wouldnt that just be an H&H?

I did find out today, that my 30-375 Ruger wildcat (in 2009)is now called the .300 PRC. I was thinking the 30 Nosler was the same, but it uses Jeffery brass, which has a .550" body, and I believe the 375 Ruger brass is .532" ? I never got to test my own wildcat. So 200 grain in both, how does the PRC do VS the ole Winnie?

I have a huge interest in the .300 Norma Mag, any of you guys using one?
Yes I am shooting a 300 norma with a 28inches of barrel and a 230 Berger hybrid target with 86gr of H1000 AT 2985 AND SUB 1/2" GROUPS I AM GETTING READY TO TRY RL33

No. Its not king anymore. BUT it may be the only one you can get in a factory rifle.
I almost bought one before I bought my 300 Rum Sendero. Just the cost of the brass startled me. Then a lot of guys told me it is not a cartridge that you want to fire a lot, because they torch the throat of the barrel.

Strangely enough, the RUM didn't do anything I couldn't really do with my 300 Win Mag.

Hear you there. I try to limit myself to two shots three tops before letting it cool down. Might even be better If I just did one shot then let it cool. I also wonder if HBN would help with erosion. I want mine to last for years. But time will tell.

Then a lot of guys told me it is not a cartridge that you want to fire a lot, because they torch the throat of the barrel
The joke is on them...and you. There (practically) isn't any throat on a factory 30-378 Weatherby chamber. The rifling starts a .361" ahead of the chamber, so I'm not sure what they are torching.

I wish I had have got it. An Accumark sure is purdy.
Looks can be deceiving... Take it from someone who's owned one. Not worth the money. You can build a better rifle for less.

Also, after how Weatherby treated me when my rifle was defective, and how they refused to acknowledge their sh*tty defective barrels, or even look at the rifle to see if they would fix it under warranty, despite me having purchased it brand new, and even after a professional gunsmith looked at it and said it was defective, I wouldn't **** on them to put out a fire.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.