Let them walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my opinion on this subject if anyone cares.
Trophy hunting is hurting hunting for a lot of people. A lot of trophy hunters belittle those who kill something that is not a trophy in their eyes. People should shoot what makes them happy and not be shamed for shooting a lesser than monsters animal.
Where I hunt it doesn't cost 2-10k a year to be told what you can and can not shoot. I can shoot anything I please. For years I've watched and let walk spikes and small antlers deer. Never to see a so called mature buck.
With the price of meat climbing, a few ot those younkers are on the menu this coming season. Hoping my granddaughters can claim theirs.

There's 18,000 acres that borders our place. For years no spikes were allowed to be shot. Guess what, it got to where the majority of bucks were spikes.

People should hunt how they please without being belittled.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

To the OP
To post words without experience with individuals and their hunt is…,, just words
Hunting is a experience. A individual experience. Each hunter has a choice. Each choice is theirs. That's the great thing about our country. WE GET TO CHOOSE!
You want one thing. Others want another.
I want my thing.
Why not let each of us pursue our hunts like we want?
Some agree with you
Some disagree with you
Some are in the middle
Hunting is such a precious thing
Each hunter is a precious thing
Together hunting is carried in the future

Edit
I love hunting. I'm a hunting guide. I get be part of someone's hunting dream. Each hunter has their dream. Once again it's their choice.
Not mine. Not yours. Theirs. Sign me up for that each and every time.
Each hunter deserves the choice

Last edited:
That's darn good shooting
I've not even shot at a box at 1000.
Wouldn't know where to start with out a scope.

Just in case I have to shoot at my "trophy" goat at 1000 yards. Off a bipod here's a 1K plate. Center was to confirm zero with 280AI 175EH. Head marks were with 300WM 215Hybrids, I chambered both barrels, both Wilson barrels. 5.5x22x56 NXS work great. This is still not hunting, just trigger jerking. I am not a hunter, just a trigger monkey.
Screenshot_20220702-215807_Messages.jpg

There's quite a few of you that will read this post and you'll just get mad and try to tell me how it is. Cool, you do that. I will hit "ignore" on every one of you without hesitation. If you want to disagree, you better do so in a manner befitting a Christian. Fact is, I have almost nothing in common with most "hunters" these days, and I'd rather be disliked by all of them than be "popular" among that crowd.

This post is for the rest of you. The guys that are trying to be good responsible sportsmen that know how to manage our resources.

My request is this: Learn how to score on the hoof. Stop shooting immature animals. If you want food and the joy of the hunt... do it with a doe. They taste better.

That is all.

I'm out scouting for pronghorn, as I usually do this time of year. Some areas of the country you see massive pronghorn regularly. Tags are hard to get in those areas. Permission to hunt, even harder to get. They grow big there, because most hunters are kept out.

That's not true of my area. Here, there isn't much for sizable pronghorn. Fewer and fewer sizable anything, actually.

It's a sad reality when in order to foster trophy animals, hunters must be kept away. Yet, despite how sad, that is very true of many hunters. We're suppose to care... not just look for instant gratification of a kill on our vacation from our life, wife, and job.

Took this guys picture 15 minutes ago... and I know the majority of hunters would blast him if given the opportunity. Sure, he's a "nice" goat. He's got decent cutters, decent length, decent mass, and there's even some ivory there.

Though he sure doesn't have much of a curl does he? I bet he's 3yrs old is all. Next year he'll be nice. Two years, he'll be a STUD! What do you think he scores?

sGoB5grh.jpg

Now compare what you see above, to a real trophy pronghorn. Here's a 90" goat from pronghornguideservice instagram page:
Uz7qbtUh.jpg

Now what do you think that first goat I posted scored?

I'm talking about pronghorn here, but the same applies to every species. Just let them walk. What is the big deal? Shoot a doe for as many years as you need to foster some proper management of the species. Teach this restraint to the younger generation. If you don't, then $10,000+ per hunt guides will be the only place any of us get to hunt a real trophy. You can very likely still do all the things that are important to you on your hunt without shooting an immature buck.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I personally think that getting your point across isn't done by ranting at everyone. It's a bit tacky and very Hollywood, just saying. I don't use Facebook and Twitter etc because of the opinionated nutters there. Anyway go ahead and mute me 🤐

Written like a fully mature Sportsman.

If I see a 10 point go by I'm taking the first good shot!

I'm probably about halfway through the maturation process if I'm being honest.
With time you'll get there, especially if you're trying too manage your own property it's like most things when you have a stake in it you take better care of it .(Human Nature)

Just in case I have to shoot at my "trophy" goat at 1000 yards. Off a bipod here's a 1K plate. Center was to confirm zero with 280AI 175EH. Head marks were with 300WM 215Hybrids, I chambered both barrels, both Wilson barrels. 5.5x22x56 NXS work great. This is still not hunting, just trigger jerking. I am not a hunter, just a trigger monkey.
View attachment 377099
May have been asked previous, a lot to read here.

But I got to know? Was that steel mature? Did you watch it year after year to make certain it had reached its prime? Was a shot of that range ethical? Could have wounded the poor steel. I could probably think of more but cant really remember why we're upset
real good shootin

But I got to know? Was that steel mature? Did you watch it year after year to make certain it had reached its prime? Was a shot of that range ethical? Could have wounded the poor steel. I could probably think of more but cant really remember why we're upset
real good shootin

More importantly, did he use a Tangent Theta??

real good shootin
I don't know how mature that steel is , but I bet it has a lot of temper.

Status
Not open for further replies.