Let them walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. The atmosphere when I joined was much better and most threads were very valuable and I learned so much. I don't like to speak up in dumpster fires like this, but you read my mind with your comments. It's sad when legitimately valuable threads are started and get half the attention that something as lame as this is getting.
It is sad and I'm mad at myself for letting this get under my skin but I was specifically mentioned in the same breath as being unprincipled never mind I'm done with it!

So then you're saying don't hunt in spike only elk areas? Or forky only deer units? I really think this attitude of self righteousness you have is just as much a problem within the hunting community. People who think others are wrong because they don't hunt the same way. A bow is superior to a rifle. Or a Trad bow is superior to compound. My family expects wild game in the freezer. I prefer to take does rather small buck when I can, but opportunities don't always allow for that. If a big buck is your thing then go ahead and hold out. You can't kill big ones if you're tag is hanging on a small one. But each hunter needs to decide what they want out of their hunt. It's not for others to impose their views.

There's quite a few of you that will read this post and you'll just get mad and try to tell me how it is. Cool, you do that. I will hit "ignore" on every one of you without hesitation. If you want to disagree, you better do so in a manner befitting a Christian. Fact is, I have almost nothing in common with most "hunters" these days, and I'd rather be disliked by all of them than be "popular" among that crowd.

This post is for the rest of you. The guys that are trying to be good responsible sportsmen that know how to manage our resources.

My request is this: Learn how to score on the hoof. Stop shooting immature animals. If you want food and the joy of the hunt... do it with a doe. They taste better.

That is all.

I'm out scouting for pronghorn, as I usually do this time of year. Some areas of the country you see massive pronghorn regularly. Tags are hard to get in those areas. Permission to hunt, even harder to get. They grow big there, because most hunters are kept out.

That's not true of my area. Here, there isn't much for sizable pronghorn. Fewer and fewer sizable anything, actually.

It's a sad reality when in order to foster trophy animals, hunters must be kept away. Yet, despite how sad, that is very true of many hunters. We're suppose to care... not just look for instant gratification of a kill on our vacation from our life, wife, and job.

Took this guys picture 15 minutes ago... and I know the majority of hunters would blast him if given the opportunity. Sure, he's a "nice" goat. He's got decent cutters, decent length, decent mass, and there's even some ivory there.

Though he sure doesn't have much of a curl does he? I bet he's 3yrs old is all. Next year he'll be nice. Two years, he'll be a STUD! What do you think he scores?

sGoB5grh.jpg

Now compare what you see above, to a real trophy pronghorn. Here's a 90" goat from pronghornguideservice instagram page:
Uz7qbtUh.jpg

Now what do you think that first goat I posted scored?

I'm talking about pronghorn here, but the same applies to every species. Just let them walk. What is the big deal? Shoot a doe for as many years as you need to foster some proper management of the species. Teach this restraint to the younger generation. If you don't, then $10,000+ per hunt guides will be the only place any of us get to hunt a real trophy. You can very likely still do all the things that are important to you on your hunt without shooting an immature buck.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

You're a preachy one. Do what's legal and mind your own business. You clearly have no clue when it comes to pronghorn horn growth and age correlations.

Some people don't understand genetics OR killing culls. Management is a complex scenario and some have proven their theories. It's amazing how much we've learned about game management in the last 2 decades, much of that in the last. You have to have good genetics, good food sources, and take out the culls. All of that matters.

So then you're saying don't hunt in spike only elk areas? Or forky only deer units? I really think this attitude of self righteousness you have is just as much a problem within the hunting community. People who think others are wrong because they don't hunt the same way. A bow is superior to a rifle. Or a Trad bow is superior to compound. My family expects wild game in the freezer. I prefer to take does rather small buck when I can, but opportunities don't always allow for that. If a big buck is your thing then go ahead and hold out. You can't kill big ones if you're tag is hanging on a small one. But each hunter needs to decide what they want out of their hunt. It's not for others to impose their views.
🥂🇺🇸

After further reading I think I have the answer. In Georgia if you don't want to hunt with other hunters, want to make the rules and have big trophies bucks then you lease the land. You then follow the basic hunting rules but can apply your limits as well. If you don't want to lease land, maybe cant afford it or don't have family land then you just have to hunt with the common folk, follow the same rules they do. Now Im betten you all don't have large tracks of timber company land for hunting leases, but I'll bet some rancher would lease hunting rights for a little $. Problem solved, capitalism at its best.

After further reading I think I have the answer. In Georgia if you don't want to hunt with other hunters, want to make the rules and have big trophies bucks then you lease the land. You then follow the basic hunting rules but can apply your limits as well. If you don't want to lease land, maybe cant afford it or don't have family land then you just have to hunt with the common folk, follow the same rules they do. Now Im betten you all don't have large tracks of timber company land for hunting leases, but I'll bet some rancher would lease hunting rights for a little $. Problem solved, capitalism at its best.
Good assumption. I'm lucky to have Millions of acres of Nat. forest, BLM and State land here to hunt for free. Moose bighorn elk Mtn goat antelope whitetail mule deer two bears Mtn lion wolves coyote fox badger and a lot of little critters. I thank God I don't have to pay to hunt private land like in south and Texas, Ok. etc. I feel for you . I couldn't afford it.

Good assumption. I'm lucky to have Millions of acres of Nat. forest, BLM and State land here to hunt for free. Moose bighorn elk Mtn goat antelope whitetail mule deer two bears Mtn lion wolves coyote fox badger and a lot of little critters. I thank God I don't have to pay to hunt private land like in south and Texas, Ok. etc. I feel for you . I couldn't afford it.
Family land, never even had to buy a hunting license.
I'm lucky and thankful for it.

There's always guided hunts for those who want the biggest trophies. A lot of hunters don't necessarily have the time or resources at their disposal whether it be family or job or both to pass up deer (or said game) after deer because there's always the next day and the one after that. Some people may have very limited time. Are they not supposed to hunt what or how they want to because it's gonna tick off other hunters?

Status
Not open for further replies.