Let’s talk favorite hunting rigs!

Holycity73

For the last three and a half years I have hunted primarily with a browning X bolt Western Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.
It has Talley rings, a VX6 3-18x50, a lighter trigger spring and I added a cheek piece.
I'd say that the rifle has less than 75 rounds through it and has been well hunted. Some say it looks abused.;)
Today, I shot a slow and steady three shot group with the same Precision Hunter series ammo I've run since it became available.
It seems as if factory offerings in both rifles and ammo are getting nothing but better.
Although I have several custom rifles, I always seem to grab that X Bolt when it's time to go.
73C24460-F8CA-4A32-BDBA-FB33F095AD6E.jpeg
FD0D9F0E-35F0-49F6-AEC1-333E79CEF5C5.jpeg

Yeah, I adjusted my zero!

Nice shooting. That doesn't surprise me out of that X-bolt. I've read (and believe) that for production rifles, Brownings have very good barrels. I have a 1995 A-bolt medallion in .243 that I believe was manufactured in their Miroku plant. It have shot similar groups to the one pictured with factory ammo out of that rifle on many occasions. It is free floated from the factory and I've killed truckloads if groundhogs and deer with it. A real keeper, and my son now uses it as his woods rifle. I remember when I got it the guys at camp gave me a lot of ribbing about it being made in Japan. I have no problem with that. The Japanese might not be innovators but they are quality and reliability fanatics. That rings true with every Browning I've ever owned.

Well mine used to be a browning x-bolt eclipse hunter 7mm rem mag with a 3-9x40 scope. Great all around hunting rifle. I've bounced back and forth between that and my semi custom 6.5 creed built on a savage action. This year I'll be using my new 7mm which I think will turn into my favorite hunting gun. Remington 700 long range 7mm rem mag topped with a 4-16x50 vortex ps-t gen 1. Right now shooting the 180 eld-m at 2958fps which should make for some bad bear and deer medicine! That 180 hits like a hammer at 1000
20190421_161749.jpg

My favorite rig has always been the next build. But this time I mean it....I swear.....I only need one more then I'll quit:

7mm Mag
Proof sendero 24" barrel
LPA Ti Razor action
Manners EH1 w/MCS-DBM
TriggerTech Special
Scope: TBD

It won't be ready for this hunting season, but it will go live 2020!

My last fav rig was a factory Remmy LR in 30/06 Sherman with a Jewel trigger and the action glued into the stock... Ha...

She's one sweet shooter as it gets racked away until it's needed as a back-up unit during hunting season...

This year it's a custom Remmy BDL 6.5 A-square fully worked over with a 24" Bob Jury Stainless Steel 2.8 contour pipe,,, 11.9 lbs with Trigger Tech...

It will be a bit lighter when I put the hunting optic on it...

Nothing overly fancy,,, but good enough for the Elk,,, Moose and Deer harvest this year... All the draws came back with a green light for go to time...

Lots of over time the fill the freezer fore sure...

Been shooting a 325wsm browning x bolt since 2008. This year I got a browning x bolt longe range in 300 winny. The verdict is still out on which one will be my go too rifle for elk this season. Either will get it done I'm sure.

Sendero 300WM I bought in 2000 that shot Partitions inside 1" in first 3 shots and then just got better. Go to load is 200AB with RL22 that IF I don't drink coffee for few days I can get it inside .5" at 300 yards. Shoots inside 2" off cross sticks at 300 so it is my flop bang rifle. I have gotten my 300WSM to shoot reasonably well at 0.5 at 100 but just can't seem to leave the Sendero in safe when I go on a hunt. Just feels right on shoulder and just can't replace or replicate that feeling with another rifle yet.

Win m70 SG 257 Roberts, Leupold vx3 2.5-8. Or Ruger Hawkeye same caliber w/2-7 Leupold. Old stand by Remington 700 mtn rifle 270 win with action and barrel full bedded. Maybe the same as last but in 7mm-08 w/2-7 vortex

For the last three and a half years I have hunted primarily with a browning X bolt Western Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.
It has Talley rings, a VX6 3-18x50, a lighter trigger spring and I added a cheek piece.
I'd say that the rifle has less than 75 rounds through it and has been well hunted. Some say it looks abused.;)
Today, I shot a slow and steady three shot group with the same Precision Hunter series ammo I've run since it became available.
It seems as if factory offerings in both rifles and ammo are getting nothing but better.
Although I have several custom rifles, I always seem to grab that X Bolt when it's time to go.
View attachment 141338 View attachment 141339

Yeah, I adjusted my zero!
Freaking X-bolts...its
my go to as well for big game. Mine is an xbolt medallion in 270wsm sporting a leupold VX5HD 3-15x56. I am also running the precision hunter ammo - I can't believe how accurate it is.

28D65E19-1381-420F-8F09-B3EA369E17F4.png
D51BA0F7-DB08-4B98-83CE-F86C448B50AE.png

My favorite walking around rig is a Steven's 200 6X47 Rem that loves a steady diet of 70 grain NBT bullets. It's my prairie dog to white tail and pronghorn rifle. It was my first ever Savage barrel swap.

These next three are the ones I built to hunt all my big game with.

M70 Extreme Weather .270 Win McMillan FWT Edge stock VX3 3.5-10x40 weighs 7 lbs 13 oz scoped.

M70 FWT Classic .30-06, McMillan Hunters Edge stock, VXIII 2.5-8X36 and weighs 7 lbs 2 oz scoped.

1359426492.jpg

M70 Classic .338-06 built by Kevin Weaver, McMillan Hunters Edge, VX3 2.5-8X36 B&C and weighs 8 lbs 4 oz scoped.

The EW is the only rifle that has drawn blood so far a small 4 point muley during 4th season back in 2014. In Sep 2015 I shattered my leg and wasn't able to hunt again until 2017. I've really been focusing on getting my Daughter her hunts now that I'm mobile again. She's a junior this year and when she's off at college I'll start using my preference points up on hunts.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts