Let’s take a vote… bullet choice

Hammer or Berger

• Total voters
I'm taking 2 rifles on my hunt. 7RM and 180 VLDH for the open country, burn scar portion.
The other portions are un-burned heavy timber where the 280AI is loaded with 143 HH. I want to see how the Hammer does and the 280AI rifle is a bit lighter for me for sneaking around. They will both be with me in the gun rack every morning....
Just got to find where the deer are feeding, pine/aspens or burn scars....

Attachments

• 20220217_163745.jpg
    20220217_163745.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20220217_163801.jpg
    20220217_163801.jpg
    980.7 KB · Views: 36
Deer: relatively small animal, I'd go with Berger. Adequate velocity vs higher velocity with HH would likely damage the meat considerably more. That's my thinking, hope it helps you decide.
It actually works the opposite as you've suggested. Those monos do less meat damage in general even at the high velocities.

Yup, hammers, badlands, PVA cayuga, every one I have used show less bloodshot even with very high velocity impacts.

It actually works the opposite as you've suggested. Those monos do less meat damage in general even at the high velocities.

YD5g8is.gif

There's that first hand experience giving opinions the smack down again. 🤣

Great posts fellas. Venturing into monos for killing stuff, I find this very valuable. Thank you. I haven't shot anything with a mono except a 375 cheytac and a 352gr cutting edge. Not same same.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

YD5g8is.gif

There's that first hand experience giving opinions the smack down again. 🤣

Great posts fellas. Venturing into monos for killing stuff, I find this very valuable. Thank you. I haven't shot anything with a mono except a 375 cheytac and a 352gr cutting edge. Not same same.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Here is a good example. This doe antelope was shot at under 200 yards, pretty high impact speed, from a .338 cal 270 grain Badlands that started life at a little over 2900 if I remember correctly.

From looking at the animal on the ground with the exit placement, one would think a lot of the driver's side of that animal would be a loss. However, after breaking the animal down and minimal clean up, it can bee seen that there is little to no bloodshot, just a big hole that drained the pump house very quickly. Other than what the bullet itself actually took out, there was no meat loss on that shoulder.

20200824_122532.jpg
20200824_145843.jpg