Let’s take a vote… bullet choice

Hammer or Berger

• Total voters
Yeah I seated it to mag length and the groups spread way out. I'll mess with the seating deapth eventually but don't want to spend a bunch of time and components on that right now if I already have a load that shoots
Understood. I found berger to be pretty happy around 100 thou. If and you decide to mess them again I set mine in 2 rifles to 2.950 and they shoot very well. 2815 in a 18" and 2915 in a 22". Just don't need that heavy of a bullet for what I do so I'm running 135 A tips.

60.8 gr of N560 with hornady brass

WITH A 156 EOL!?!?!?!

kGhoOoc.gif

I'm not surprised it shot bad. Actually, I'm surprised it didn't shear off your bolt lugs.

0aKGdaV.jpg

... or are you talking about the 124 hammer?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I'll try to make story short . Last year I had an out of state hunt the was copper only. Hmmm... Where could that be. My CDS dial was made for a 156 Berger load. I worked up a 124 Hammer load and tried it with the Berger dial. Problem was I only tested to 200 yds. It was hitting same spot. Ok. I took a 50 Rd cartridge holder half 124 Hammer and half 156 Berger. 156 labeled Wy. 124 labeled other state. I found a beautiful big buck on morning of day three where I found a lot of sign. I ranged him. 598. I set CDS to 600. Not remembering it was downhill. Rangefinder sent on LOS. I took first shot. He just looked around. Second. Same thing. After that shot he walks higher and left around tree. He stops. About 605 yds. I take third shot. He walks behind tree. From there he went out of site . I walked down there. Ranged back. Found the tree. Tracks no blood. Walk up hill about 25;yds.. I look left and there a buck looking at me at 65 yds. I shot and dropped him. The Hammer went in low neck all the way to right ham and almost out. I cut him up. Took balls tongue liver heart backstraps and assorted meat in my pack. Came back with frame for quarters and head. Only a little of a mile to camp. 2 nights later in bed I started reliving the hunt. I remembered the buck I was shooting at was a beautiful reddish brown summer coat. One I killed grey. The one I was shooting at had very tall reddish rack like it just rubbed velvet of. Mine was hard horned with peices of old velvet on it. Antlers grey and way shorter and not as wide. I shot the wrong buck ! If I'd of walk over hill from the last juniper I shot at buck from I bet he'd of been standing there looking up at me. Oh well. Done deal. I was happy with buck I shot. In 2012 I missed 2 long shots at bucks there. With a Luepold with CDL tho. Over 600 and a crazy story on another buck at 583. That's another story by its self. Anyway. I had the Berger 156 loads in my tent. Maybe should of had a couple in my pocket. I try to do the right thing.... Sorry for loooong story.

Taking a vote. October mule deer hunt at 7k-10k elevation. Rifle is a 6.5prc. The options are 124 HH at 3330fps shooting 1/4 moa or the 156 Berger EOL shooting 2835, also 1/4 moa. Longest range I'll take a shot if conditions are perfect is 500 yards.
Thanks for the input
Deer: relatively small animal, I'd go with Berger. Adequate velocity vs higher velocity with HH would likely damage the meat considerably more. That's my thinking, hope it helps you decide.

Recent Posts