Let’s see your coyote rifle!

The Native Americans I've talked to say eating coyote will make you crazy . But the coyote back straps I ate were pretty gamey , not tough just gamey .

The Native Americans I've talked to say eating coyote will make you crazy . But the coyote back straps I ate were pretty gamey , not tough just gamey .
No need to bring ethnic groups into what or who eats coyotes. You probably should have put some more seasoning (or cure them longer) with your back straps. I have eaten "Dog" on several occasions from groups deep inside Asian Countries and it was very good -actually a delicacy when prepared right. I would think the coyote (but not rural city coyotes) could be similar to wild dog.

No need to bring ethnic groups into what or who eats coyotes. You probably should have put some more seasoning (or cure them longer) with your back straps. I have eaten "Dog" on several occasions from groups deep inside Asian Countries and it was very good -actually a delicacy when prepared right. I would think the coyote (but not rural city coyotes) could be similar to wild dog.
I think he is saying that the Native Americans don't eat them.

I'm not being racist because it is likely ethnic groups and different cultures that eat cats, bats, dogs, snakes, reptiles, insects etc that is not so common in western civilization cultures.

Maybe it evolves from availability and necessity but some nationalities and cultures continue to eat these for traditional or cultural reasons as they always have and many enjoy it or see it as a delicacy.

I wasn't raised with it and I'm not into it. Some cultures may think we are the odd one out, just they are not posting here.

I also ate dog when I was in Southeast ASIA it wasn't bad there the coyote I had was gamy . I was just stating that the people I talked to said not to eat coyote stating a fact that I was told by them about what they believed . I didn't think that I was stating any thing bad just what I was told by some guys that I worked with from AZ that were boiler tube welders .

I also ate dog when I was in Southeast ASIA it wasn't bad there the coyote I had was gamy . I was just stating that the people I talked to said not to eat coyote stating a fact that I was told by them about what they believed . I didn't think that I was stating any thing bad just what I was told by some guys that I worked with from AZ that were boiler tube welders .
Dog is a fine meal

Pretty cat. Are you sure it is dead? Looks like it is waiting for you to return and feed it. And what are you so mad at that coyote about. I like coyotes. It is just hard to eat a whole one in just one meal.
I was angry cause it was sooo skinny, not much back strap on that one 😋

I was angry cause it was sooo skinny, not much back strap on that one 😋
I have to tell you that I have a 378 Weatherby Magnum. Had it since about 1982. Love it. I really wish I had a 30-378, and I have recently gotten into .33 caliber bullets, so I also want a 338-378. All Weatherbys. I just love 'em. I almost forgot, I also have a new to me 340 Weatherby.

Last edited:
I have to tell you that I have a 378 Weatherby Magnum. Had it since about 1982. Love it. I really wish I had a 30-378, and I have recently gotten into .33 caliber bullets, so I also want a 338-378. All Weatherbys. I just love 'em. I almost forgot, I also have a new to me 340 Weatherby.

TS,
I ABSOLUTELY love my BIG Bee, it kills critters DEAD RIGHT NOW!!! I've had it since the mid 90's and have taken a lot of game. One thing with all that speed is you MUST shoot good bullets, mono metal is the name of the game!!! Recoil isn't as bad as most think, it is a LASER for sure!!!

That . 340 might be a great Coyote rifle.
Load some Hammers and let her eat!

That . 340 might be a great Coyote rifle.
Load some Hammers and let her eat!
I intend to just do that. Another thing on the menu will be raccoons. My brother-in-law, (I hunt his place) raises chickens for eggs, and the coons are killing the chickens, so I hope to exterminate a few of those pesky critters. And he has bobcats, too. Coyotes, coons, and bobcats along with many hogs should keep the 340 busy this winter, or what we call winter, that is. I am thinking about a night vision scope, maybe for Christmas, to shoot the raccoons. There is something about cleaning hogs in the middle of the night that makes it seem like more work than it should be. Hope the lock-ins Down-under are over soon.

Thanks @Treeslug

Things are improving in Australia. Lockdowns are easing. I expect things will be eased for Christmas and hopefully the vaccination slows the spread and keeps things open.
HEAVY hailstorms are now smashing the East coast, madness.

Anyway, what I find interesting are the different issues different countries have as far as pests. Raccons, Armadillo, Squirrel etc. They seem like harmless little critters from afar.

We have rabbits and Foxes. Both introduced. Pigs are a problem but provide good hunting. Deer and goats are introduced , same as Camel and Buffalo, otherwise we would not have any big game.

Kangaroos are widespread though I think some try to make it seem as though they are endangered. Truth is that Kangaroo have spread and flourished since settlers introduced artificial watering points. It's a fact and it's proven.

If people looked into the facts Kangaroo's are an industry and sustainable resource. I completed a management hunt in South Africa and hunting there is an industry.

Thanks @Treeslug

Things are improving in Australia. Lockdowns are easing. I expect things will be eased for Christmas and hopefully the vaccination slows the spread and keeps things open.
HEAVY hailstorms are now smashing the East coast, madness.

Anyway, what I find interesting are the different issues different countries have as far as pests. Raccons, Armadillo, Squirrel etc. They seem like harmless little critters from afar.

We have rabbits and Foxes. Both introduced. Pigs are a problem but provide good hunting. Deer and goats are introduced , same as Camel and Buffalo, otherwise we would not have any big game.

Kangaroos are widespread though I think some try to make it seem as though they are endangered. Truth is that Kangaroo have spread and flourished since settlers introduced artificial watering points. It's a fact and it's proven.

If people looked into the facts Kangaroo's are an industry and sustainable resource. I completed a management hunt in South Africa and hunting there is an industry.
If hunting became an industry in all of Africa, maybe the locals would stop the poachers and stop buying bushmeat. I know why the locals are starving, but I won't go there now.

From up here, I have heard about the rabbit population at one time due to few, if any, predators. As for the deer and other animals, I think that could be good. Would love to shoot a big buffalo.

As for the Raccoons and other pesky critters, they are considered furbearers in some places, except for the armadillos, which thanks to the leprosy scare, are pretty much taken care of by the largest predator on the block, the automobile, so they stay pretty much in check.

As far as your native kangaroos, word around the campfire up here is that some burger companies use their meat mixed with beef, and they are so plentiful that they are considered a pest Downunder.

Glad to hear the China flu restrictions are easing up a bit. Hopefully, y'all won't have the shipping and labor problems we here in what's left of the U.S. with our new regime.

On a dead run in the back of the head with a 6.5 prc. Not pretty……
F3BAE606-F697-4833-B19B-879D15CCC103.jpeg