Let’s see your coyote rifle!

I don't know how the 17 rems are now but I suspect that there more ammo and bullet offerings then when I had mine in the early 80's .

I posted a rifle or two in this thread back when it was new, but I was slapping together what I think is as close to coyote killing perfection as I could manage. It is a 6mm arc, and as some of you know, I haven't been able to call in a dog yet this year, but I'm sure it will do fine when it happens. It probably already has a hundred miles on it. 🤣

Attachments

• 20210122_210947.jpg
    20210122_210947.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
  • 20210122_210924.jpg
    20210122_210924.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
Is it just me, or are those dogs too cute to shoot? And I do like that .17 Remington.
Hmm, if they are like our Dingo they are shot on sight.
I have nothing against the animal, it's a nice looking dog but it is our only predator and creates havoc where there are sheep.
We have birds of prey,
Foxes and feral cats prey on smaller species and eat carrion.

The .17rem was popular when fur was. Many people used it to shoot foxes for pelts in the 70's early 80's.

CBH , were your fox introduced as our red fox are here in the U.S. ? Here in the part of the U.S. that I live in the red fox kills more young lambs then coyote till the lambs get big enough then you will see a lot of lambs with half their tail missing from the fox . And yes coyote are shot on sight here as well .

Hmm, if they are like our Dingo they are shot on sight.
I have nothing against the animal, it's a nice looking dog but it is our only predator and creates havoc where there are sheep.
We have birds of prey,
Foxes and feral cats prey on smaller species and eat carrion.

The .17rem was popular when fur was. Many people used it to shoot foxes for pelts in the 70's early 80's.
Well, I never had any use for sheep to begin with. Have you ever tried to eat one of those nasty little creatures? And you are always having to shear off all that kinky hair they grow. What do you do with all that stuff? Nah, I think sheep are great. All us cattle lovers love sheep. I'm just kidding. I just woke up.

I think dingos are nifty looking animals, but I can only imagine what they can do to a flock of sheep, and other animals. If I lived down-under, I'm sure I would shoot dingos, too. And I have always wanted to shoot a huge wolf. But I still like dogs, and most .17 caliber rifles. So, 'ave a g'day mate. I'm from Texas and we all talk that way here!

Well, I never had any use for sheep to begin with. Have you ever tried to eat one of those nasty little creatures? And you are always having to shear off all that kinky hair they grow. What do you do with all that stuff? Nah, I think sheep are great. All us cattle lovers love sheep. I'm just kidding. I just woke up.

I think dingos are nifty looking animals, but I can only imagine what they can do to a flock of sheep, and other animals. If I lived down-under, I'm sure I would shoot dingos, too. And I have always wanted to shoot a huge wolf. But I still like dogs, and most .17 caliber rifles. So, 'ave a g'day mate. I'm from Texas and we all talk that way here!
G'day Mate and welcome from Australia.
Even down under we know Everything is bigger in Texas.
We learn that from the movies.
We have plenty of use for sheep. Lamb roast is an Issue favourite. The wool industry has changed and some graziers opt for meat sheep with a decline in demand for wool.
The cattle station where I shoot Dingoes is 1,200,000 acres it would not be the biggest in Australia but pretty big for the area it's in it's pretty big but it's also owned by a company.
Where I am in NSW it's partilally protected by fencing a corner of the state for 200 miles south and 200 miles east with a high fence. That has worked for years and they are now extending it to help slow incursion s of dingo.
I have used a Rem 700 in .223 and a .308 on them but hoping to spend some time out there with my "Truck rifle" a Tikka CTR 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel

When I was in Singapore With the U.S. Navy I ran into some Aussies shot darts and drank beer all day from 7:00 A.M. till 17:00 P.M. then went and ate at their Mess decks . Some of the best mutton I've ever eaten .

Long range for me is about 400yds with this set up. Savage MSR-15 in 224 Valkyrie with the new XG-50Thermion... not super impressed with the round (Big coyotes here) so I'm waiting on my 6DTI to be delivered any day.... my day time rig is a Remington 700 in 243 RCBS ( don't hear much of that round) shooting 87 Vmax at about 3400....

Attachments

• 1C3240B3-6DB8-470A-A85D-1B311967A9E7.jpeg
    1C3240B3-6DB8-470A-A85D-1B311967A9E7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
G'day Mate and welcome from Australia.
Even down under we know Everything is bigger in Texas.
We learn that from the movies.
We have plenty of use for sheep. Lamb roast is an Issue favourite. The wool industry has changed and some graziers opt for meat sheep with a decline in demand for wool.
The cattle station where I shoot Dingoes is 1,200,000 acres it would not be the biggest in Australia but pretty big for the area it's in it's pretty big but it's also owned by a company.
Where I am in NSW it's partilally protected by fencing a corner of the state for 200 miles south and 200 miles east with a high fence. That has worked for years and they are now extending it to help slow incursion s of dingo.
I have used a Rem 700 in .223 and a .308 on them but hoping to spend some time out there with my "Truck rifle" a Tikka CTR 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel
Howdy Pard'ner! Welcome from Texas, where everything is bigger--is a myth. I am only 5' 10" and weigh about 200 lbs. I once hunted in New Mexico and a bunch of cowboys walked into this little bar we were visiting with our guide/friend. I had been around Texas cowboys my whole life. These New Mexico boys made me nervous. I was very glad they all knew and liked our guide.

I'm sure sorry you don't have a bigger place to hunt those darn dingos. I had a very wealthy Aunt that owned two different ranches. One was on the Katy Prairie and International Flyway. Lots of ducks and geese. A whopping 320 acres. Half a section. One-half mile by one mile. Surrounded by rice fields. Great hunting and surprisingly large coyote population.

The other ranch she owned at the time I was a teenager (I lived on those ranches most of my life until I went to work full time) was 2,300 acres. Killed my first deer there. As you can see, you were deprived of Texas-sized lands to hunt on. Must be a tough life Downunder where you exist.

Never had a bolt .223 or a .308. Some darned fool told me that belted magnums were the only way to go. Did have a short barrel .30-.30 once. Open sights and I called it my brush gun. Loved to shoot jackrabbits with it. There used to be sooooo many jackrabbits, and they would devastate an oat field in a matter of days. We had fences around everything we owned. Did I ever tell you that I can build a really nifty 5 strand barbed wire fence?

Well, have a wonderful time down in your so far great country, and don't let the politicians get you in your sleep.

Last edited: