Let’s see your coyote rifle!

A long long time ago I bought this barrel with a certain caliber because it was all the rage and it was hip and trendy. Well I looked at the size of the brass and it's case capacity, and said to myself how the hell am I going to get any speed out of this itty bitty thing it holds just a little more than a 223. Anyways the next day a package came from PTG that I had forgotten about since it was backorder for so long, and said to myself this is no coincidence so I sent my new barrel and new reamer to the gunsmith and told him that I wanted him to rechamber it. He thought I was nuts I said that's beside the point, look it is already profiled crowned and threaded so just stick the reamer where the sun don't shine on this barrel and I will be a happy camper. He called me and asked what I wanted to do with the lazer etching on the barrel I said leave it there or no one will believe me. I crack up every time I think about it.
This is they end result.

PS: For those that are not familiar with this caliber a 6mm Mach IV is a 257 WBY necked down to 6mm or 243.

Dean

Exhibit A

IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg

A long long time ago I bought this barrel with a certain caliber because it was all the rage and it was hip and trendy. Well I looked at the size of the brass and it's case capacity, and said to myself how the hell am I going to get any speed out of this itty bitty thing it holds just a little more than a 223. Anyways the next day a package came from PTG that I had forgotten about since it was backorder for so long, and said to myself this is no coincidence so I sent my new barrel and new reamer to the gunsmith and told him that I wanted him to rechamber it. He thought I was nuts I said that's beside the point, look it is already profiled crowned and threaded so just stick the reamer where the sun don't shine on this barrel and I will be a happy camper. He called me and asked what I wanted to do with the lazer etching on the barrel I said leave it there or no one will believe me. I crack up every time I think about it.
This is they end result.

PS: For those that are not familiar with this caliber a 6mm Mach IV is a 257 WBY necked down to 6mm or 243.

Dean

Exhibit A

View attachment 254885View attachment 254888
Scope-eye ,

Will this cartridge push a bullet to MACH 4 ???

1140 FPS @ sea-level x 4 = 4560 FPS .

55 gr. , Yes .
70 gr. , Maybe ?
Just my thoughts .

What barrel length and twist , powder , primer , and bullet combination?

DMP25-06

6mm Mach IV
6mm Arnold
6mm Atlas
6mm Incenerator
These are some other names this wildcat goes by, mine is a 257 WBY necked down so there is not even any pet name for it, but I like
The Mach IV name so I stuck with that and yes it lives up to it's name. Actually I have two a 10 and a 12 Twist it will send a 110gr Vmax 4000fps easy
a 75gr Vmax is well over Mach IV and a 55gr nosler is a 5000fps round. If you are so inclined there are plenty of loads if you search under those four names I listed. there is no load data for my WBY version, I cannot load as HOT with RemMag or WinMag brass like I can with WBY brass it's in a class of it's own.

Dean

Left to right 58gr Vmax, 70gr Nosler, 75gr Sierra HP, 80gr Nosler, 87gr Vmax, 95gr Nosler, 105gr Amax. I can't seem to find any 55gr Noslers I know I have some, I'll just look for something else and I'll find them. The nickle plated ones are actually 270 WBY necked down.View attachment 254974

Dean
When you hit a coyote at 5,000fps, you don't have to skin it, the bullet sucks the pelt off as it passes by. Ron Spomer told me

Yes there is a very large area scattered with end trails, and if you wait long enough when it starts baking in the hot sun that is where the fun starts.
the smell is like a magnet the crows, vultures, foxes, racoons, and other all come out. that's when the fun really begins.

Dean

Mines a 22-243, 75g amaxes at 3500. Big horn action Mesa altitude stock trigger tech trigger, scope is vx5hd 3-15x44. Also run a lane scorpion king can on it. Steel plate was at 500yards the paper group was at 200 yards.

Attachments

• 41DD665E-5311-4D90-B6B5-C39E8D65FAFF.jpeg
    41DD665E-5311-4D90-B6B5-C39E8D65FAFF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
  • C916D463-7A47-45FA-BF8D-CA1A42EFE5BD.jpeg
    C916D463-7A47-45FA-BF8D-CA1A42EFE5BD.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 169
  • F40F726A-2A0B-47FE-A8D7-AA20E7BB1CB3.jpeg
    F40F726A-2A0B-47FE-A8D7-AA20E7BB1CB3.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 227
Mines a 22-243, 75g amaxes at 3500. Big horn action Mesa altitude stock trigger tech trigger, scope is vx5hd 3-15x44. Also run a lane scorpion king can on it. Steel plate was at 500yards the paper group was at 200 yards.
If I remember correctly , Jim Carmichael , legendary gun writer for Outdoor Life Magazine , had called the .22-.243 the ".22 Cheetah" .
But I don't remember if the Cheetah had an improved shoulder , or not .

DMP25-06

You have a very nice , accurate rifle , by the way .