Let’s see your coyote rifle!

This one almost stepped on me had to wait till he turned away. I was behind spothing scope and the rifle was on the ground. He heard the safety click at forty yards that's where he took a nap. You can see spotter in back ground. 6.5 creed. On my antelope hunt. Also took two more at 500yrds about twenty minutes apart within four feet of each other.

Here is Coyote rifle that I have never used and probably never will. it has a 26" heavy barrel and when I say heavy it was the biggest Dia I could fit in an AR platform, and then some grinding machining and fitting had to be done. to say it is nose heavy would be an understatement, to make it practical I would have to cut 10 inches off and I don't have the heart to do it with the price I am into it for, it sounded like a good idea at the time when I was building it. At least it makes for a good conversation piece. LOL

Dean
View attachment 236533View attachment 236534
I like it.

I wish my AR10 in 6.5 had a 26" bull barrel.

What kind of velocity do you get with a 77 grain projectile?

I like this thread so I am sending it BTT pardon the pun.
Here Is a Coyote Rifle for You, Actually it is an anything you want it to be rifle from chipmunks to Rinos and anything in between. It's a 300 RUM "Tomahawk" 30" 17 Twist I shoot 100gr Lapua's with 111gr of RL17, 110 Vmax's, Sierra's, and Speers work well with the same load as the 110gr TTSX's all the way up to 165gr TTSX's. No I am not going to post numbers no one would believe me anyways.
View attachment 236308View attachment 236309
No need to post numbers but it would be pretty cool to see a pic of a coyote you shot with those 110 grain VMAX bullets. I am thinking it made a pretty good exit wound.

Helps to let pic download.

Attachments

• 20200825_094102.jpg
    20200825_094102.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 152
Hi with a 77gr 3000 FPS +- to answer your first question, I never took the time to develop a load for it I shot it a few times to make sure it functioned, and then every time I would take it out of the safe to use it I would put it back just as fast.

2nd question
I did not take the shot since I was spotting, but with that same rifle at about 400YDS +- "I had ranged that area several times" the coyote was walking across the field and was sideways to us, I told him to put the cross hairs level along the spine there is little drop at 400YDS if any and he took the shot and hit him. I saw something in the spotting scope but did not understand what I saw until I got to where he was lying. What I saw was surreal the head and shoulder blades along with the front legs were intact, as well as the rear legs and hips and tail. What was missing was the whole midsection I mean Missing no guts, organs, ribcage, "Nothing" it took awhile for me to realize what I was looking at there were end trails everywhere neither of us said a word for a while not until we got back to our setup. That was a 4500FPS load not my fastest but a good stout load, you can't load everthing max load everytime that is unrealistic.

Dean

Last edited:
Hi with a 77gr 3000 FPS +- to answer your first question

2nd question
I did not take the shot since I was spotting, but with that same rifle at about 400YDS +- "I had ranged that area several times" the coyote was walking across the field and was sideways to us, I told him to put the cross hairs horizontal with the spine "there is little drop at 400YDS if any and he took the shot and hit him. I saw something in the spotting scope but did not understand what I saw until I got to where he was lying. What I saw was surreal the head and shoulder blades along with the front legs were intact, as well as the rear legs and hips and tail. What was missing was the whole misection I mean Missing no guts, organs, ribcage, Nothing it took awhile for me to realize what I was looking at neither of us said a word for a while not until we got back to our setup. That was a 4500FPS load not my fastest but a good stout load, you can't load everthing max load everytime that is unrealistic.

Dean
NICE!!!

So you pretty much blew it in half then?

No that's the thing he was not in "half" his spine was still intact, it almost looked like the midsection had been carved out.

Dean

Last few years I prefer my AR for quick follow up and running shots without having to lose the sight picture. For up close shots I have a Burris fast fire III at a 45* angle. Don't typically keep the 30 round mag in for calling though.

My bolt is a 6CR shooting 87 gr Berger at 3,378fps and 3200fps with a 105 Berger VLD.

View attachment 236391View attachment 236392View attachment 236393View attachment 236394
Is that the EH2 Manners stock? Been itching to pull the trigger on an EH2 for my 280 Ackley for a while and just haven't done it yet. Whatever it is it looks awesome.

I'm glad it isn't a beauty pageant but then I haven't figured out how to post a picture yet either . The rifle that I have killed the most coyote with I bought back in 1987 on sale for 225.00 took it to the gun smith and ask him to pillar bed it on the way home and had a scope that he mounted with two piece red field mounts and rings . It's spent it's life riding in my truck on four wheelers and in general being abused . the stock is dinged up and it has the bluing worn off in a couple of places . It's a model 70 Winchester chambered in 223 rem but it still shoots 1/2 " groups at a hundred yards loves 55 gr. sierra hpbt's running at 3000 with h335 , it does get taken in and cleaned pretty often , the bolt is ran dry because of all the dust we live in here in Wy. I used to run graphite on and in the bolt as a lube but stopped doing that and use a good auto paste wax now instead .
When you reply...hit reply....look right below to the left....hit attach files...go to your photos...click the photo...click upload...and there you have it!

Not a rifle picture but the bug eyed results of 120 grain NBT 264 WinMag head shot on manged black coyote I caught in my cow pasture.

Attachments

• 2BD1B81B-F1B8-4666-8573-6ED6E8299CBC.jpeg
    2BD1B81B-F1B8-4666-8573-6ED6E8299CBC.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 161
  • E9E37B4C-D3E3-4471-B5D8-86D198CC86EC.jpeg
    E9E37B4C-D3E3-4471-B5D8-86D198CC86EC.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 147
Mm, I'm an Aussie so have not seen a Coyote. I've shot numerous Dingoes , mostly with a Remington 700 .223, also a Tikka .308.
I now have a .22-250 HB Tikka, a Tikka CTR 7mm-08 that might be classed a truck gun in the US and has bee no used from the car a lot for foxes and pigs. I need to get back in the Dingo country with it.
I just had. .280ai assembled on a Tikka action with a CF stock and a 26" CF barrel. I have 17 rounds down the tube but hope to mount a Swarovski Z5 2-12x50 On it. That should make a versatile hunting rifle equally capable as a varmint /predator rifle.
Where would be the best place to start to look at budget hunts in the US? I'm not a trophy hunter just a shooter happy to despatch pests and enjoy the experiences of different places and species.

Recent Posts