Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

@BKM

So, tell us the "Mark forgetting his bullets" story. That way I can have some "ammo" to razz him about before the matches (I need all the edge I can get). 😇
It's been a few yrs ago but we got to the Challenge early as usual, had breakfast and began to prepare for the match.
I overheard someone (Mark) say, " I'm not believing this".
He was digging through his stuff frantically and mumbling some words that I can't repeat here on the forum.
Then he announced he had left his bullets at home and asked if anyone at the match had any 45caliber 325 Aeromax's .
Normally there will be several there shooting that bullet but on this particular day there wasn't anyone.
I was shooting 300 Aeromax's and had enough to share with a brother in need.
Since Mark was sighted in with 325's he had to hustle to get his rifle dialed in and his bullets sized before the match started.
Everyone there had quite a good laugh at his expense. He was a good sport and took it very well though.
As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly he ended up having the last laugh.
He ended up winning the Challenge.
I may be the only person that ever lost a Challenge and got beat with my own bullets lol 😩

Well I'll play along. I didn't know this thread was here or I would have jumped in asking a bunch of questions a lot time ago! Hahaha. I have always hated muzzleloader season and muzzleloaders in general, until I found the world of smokeless! Now I love them!!

I had this first one built using an origin action, 24" brux 45cal barrel, Hankins ignition, Triggertech primary, and sitting in a manners EH1a. 20210715_205822.jpg

At the same time I had a CVA converted for my dad for Christmas. Well he seen what kind of velocity I was getting with mine and decided he wanted a full bore build himself! So back to the drawing board.

I ended up selling his CVA conversion, giving him mine, and started all over again!

This time I went with a Mesa Summit action, 24" Brux 45 called barrel, Hankins ignition, Triggertech 2 stage special, put the EH1A on this, and bought a stocky's to drop the other action in for my dad, then had the barrel and action cerakoted. I topped it off with a Leopold VX3i and considered her done.
20211102_204527.jpg20211102_204636.jpg
I haven't really got to play a lot with my new one yet. I had a load with h322 that worked for both guns and just run with it as I was about a week out from season when it was finally finished. I need to play around with some loads more this year as I found a single pound of h4895. I also ended up picking up a bunch of IMR4198, but I'm not sure how temp stable it is.

JR Shultz at Shultz percision did all the builds and I've been amazed at everything I've had him build for me. Hoping to take mine out to Kansas early season this year and see what it will do at range!

Last edited:
Well I'll play along. I didn't know this thread was here or I would have jumped in asking a bunch of questions a lot time ago! Hahaha. I have always hated muzzleloader season and muzzleloaders in general, until I found the world of smokeless! Now I love them!!

I had this first one built using an origin action, 24" brux 45cal barrel, Hankins ignition, Triggertech primary, and sitting in a manners EH1a.View attachment 445611

At the same time I had a CVA converted for my dad for Christmas. Well he seen what kind of velocity I was getting with mine and decided he wanted a full bore build himself! So back to the drawing board.

I ended up selling his car conversion, giving him mine, and started all over again!

This time I went with a Mesa Summit action, 24" Brux 45 called barrel, Hankins ignition, Triggertech 2 stage special, put the EH1A on this, and bought a stocky's to drop the other action in for my dad, then had the barrel and action cerakoted. I topped it off with a Leopold VX3i and considered her done.
View attachment 445612View attachment 445614
I haven't really got to play a lot with my new one yet. I had a load with h322 that worked for both guns and just run with it as I was about a week out from season when it was finally finished. I need to play around with some loads more this year as I found a single pound of h4895. I also ended up picking up a bunch of IMR4198, but I'm not sure how temp stable it is.

JR Shultz at Shultz percision did all the builds and I've been amazed at everything I've had him build for me. Hoping to take mine out to Kansas early season this year and see what it will do at range!
Both are beautiful for sure. Congrats they are going to put the smackdown on some deer this year. When you get out to shoot please do us a favor and let us how how everything went with accuracy and velocity. Great setups both.

Both are beautiful for sure. Congrats they are going to put the smackdown on some deer this year. When you get out to shoot please do us a favor and let us how how everything went with accuracy and velocity. Great setups both.
Will do. This is what my 2nd build did at 150 yards. I had one low with a clean barrel, then proceeded to put three more above it. I was happy so I didn't do anymore messing with the charge yet. Lol
20210926_143556.jpg

Fan Freaking Tastic

Load?
H322. I believe is settled at 82gr. I'll have to double check. I did a 1.5" shank for 5" then tapered down. I'll have to double check but I believe it's sendero profile. I'm using 300gr fury bullets.

Of course normal disclaimer for anyone that reads this, this was only safe in my barrel. Don't go off what you read online!

Well boys I just got the call that my custom McWhorter 45XML IS FINALLY FINISHED.
Asked them how it was was shooting during testing so he asked the guy who was just shooting it and stated it's a HAMMER. average target was .3. Hot ****. Sometime next week I'll have pictures to show off. I am so freaking excited.