Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

Here is a couple of my personal rifles the one on the left is mine. Them my oldest sons
then my youngest son is a converted ultimate with a Howa action made it into a smokeless using a 45 cal 1-20 Brux barrel number 6 contour with the wood lamented stock on the far right are 2 ultimate Muzzleloaders that I've had since 2005 There 50 cal with arrowhead ASG modules conversion to shoot Blackhorn. 209 without issues
Lots of venison put on the table with those 2 lol

Attachments

• 2F16802B-CA1F-4FF0-A870-2AC453EF9584.jpeg
    2F16802B-CA1F-4FF0-A870-2AC453EF9584.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 173
Those all look so intriguing, but what about the recoil? It seems the recoil would be considerable when pushing a 300 plus grain projectile at 3000 FPS. Just saying.
It's noticeable. Even with the 4-port brake on mine it let's me know it went off. 😇 But mine only has a 20" barrel and a lightweight/hollow stock.

Last edited:
Those all look so intriguing, but what about the recoil? It seems the recoil would be considerable when pushing a 300 plus grain projectile at 3000 FPS. Just saying.

That's why I'm running 68gr. There are a lot of folks running well into the 70's.
I don't have a brake on mine. Recoil is noticeable, but I'd say it's similar to a 300 Win Mag.

For me, this is a get it sighted in and shoot it at game a few times a year type of gun - so the recoil is not a huge concern to me. And, I can say that I hate heavy recoiling guns - but this is still acceptable to me.
If I want to practice with it, I can easily down load it and use a lower cost bullet like a Hornady XTP. I've got plenty of other options (cheaper and lighter recoil) for range practice.

Some folks are using these out to 500, 700yds. They also have 15-20lb guns and 4, 5, or 6port brakes.
I just want something that outperforms a slug gun, and performs similarly (or better) to typical "magnum" inline muzzleloader with 150grs of pellets.

The type of brake makes one hell of a difference.
Very true….the brake on mine is a "blast forward" type. I even thought about sending it to Nathan at MBM to see if he could duplicate it (considering I load through the funnel) with one of his brakes that push the rifle forward more during recoil. 🤔

U are correct.
It's a law of physics. I definitely use a brake but I have learned to add a little weight to my builds.
Even my hunting rifles tip the scale at 15-16 lbs.
No fun to carry but much more fun to shoot.
Most of my hunting is done from shooting houses anyway so not that big of a problem.

Is the load data for the Encore the same as for a bolt gun?
Do you have a favorite load information you could share for the Encore setup?
I am wanting to build this, or a bolt gun setup sooo bad...

Thanks.

Just finished this one up, have not shot it yet. .45 Cal. Smokeless, barrel from Arrowhead (Brux 1-20" Blank).

NO, The load data is not the same as a bolt gun. I will be using sabotless 275 gr. Arrowhead bullets with 60- 62 ish grains of Hodgdon H4198... You have to keep the pressures down on the break opens, the barrel dia. at the breech is only 1" compared to most remmy bolt guns, 1.250" dia. The lower charge is still pushing that bullet @ approx. 2500 - 2600 fps.