Let’s see those Smokeless builds!!

Initially I tried to shoot them using a .060" wool wad and they just wouldn't group at all with a wad for whatever reason. I would get the "2 in/1 waaay out scenario" EVERY single time
@brian11
Here's what I was talking about earlier. It did this (or some variation of this) every single time. Wads just don't seem to work with these particular Pittman's……at least not in my rifle.
AC2E1BB3-4FED-4BCD-A430-FC905499F179.jpeg

🤣😂 Just DO IT!! I have to be honest here and say that this kind of shooting is the most fun I've had in a long time and it really appeals to me. I never thought a muzzleloader would be capable of this kind of velocity/accuracy. I'm completely mesmerized…..and HOOKED!!! 😇
Wait until you try 1K :)

I'm back ;)

Yes, it went well.

Couple questions before i put my order in with McWhorter for a 45 xml.

What powders do you use? I can get IMR 4198 but dont have it yet.
H4895 is not available anywhere.
BH209 is non existent. I live in NJ so hunting i need this.
I would like to have some different powder options before i put my order in..
Scope will be NF ATACR 5x25x56. With either Mil-C. Or Mil XT. Thoughts on reticals just to see if there is anything i didnt think of concerning these rets. Has to be illuminated with Zero Stop required.

Next barreel contours. Looking at Brux #5 or #5.5. Thoughts. I only have had a rem sendero to compare them too. Are these thicker than a sendero barrel?
Sorry not versed in barrel contours. Thx

Brian

Last edited:
4198 is great for these, so is H322
I use 60gr 4198 with 275gr bullets in my Encore Pro Hunter MGM barrel, and i use 80gr H322 with 275 or 300 grain bullets in the bolt gun.
I have a bunch of BH209 I'll never use, that I'd like to get rid of if anyone is in, near, or passing through NH
If you google "barrel contours chart", you get all sorts of info on barrel contours. Or just ask your barrel mfg
Here's a bunch of good contour info just from one site:
Mine is a heavy Palma #14, but I don't plan on taking it hunting.

Last edited:
Next barreel contours. Looking at Brux #5 or #5.5. Thoughts. I only have had a rem sendero to compare them too. Are these thicker than a sendero barrel?
If you want to shoot "Full Power" loads I'd go with a contour that has a 1.25" diameter shank for 5 inches in length. The #5 doesn't offer that.
I use IMR 4198 with 275 grain bullets. If I went to the heavier 300's or 325's I'd have to go with a slower burning powder (ie IMR 8208 XBR, H4895, etc)

Scope will be NF ATACR 5x25x56.
That will be great! Reticle would be more of a personal choice.

4198 is great for these, so is H322
I use 60gr 4198 with 275gr bullets in my Encore Pro Hunter MGM barrel, and i use 80gr H322 with 275 or 300 grain bullets in the bolt gun.
I have a bunch of BH209 I'll never use, that I'd like to get rid of if anyone is in, near, or passing through NH
If you google "barrel contours chart", you get all sorts of info on barrel contours. Or just ask your barrel mfg
Here's a bunch of good contour info just from one site:
Mine is a heavy Palma #14, but I don't plan on taking it hunting.
The #6 is the smallest I would go but the Modified Sendero seems to be a great compromise especially if you want to shoot the 300gr bullets and above. It has the 5" shank. I went the Modified Sendero on mine, I didn't want the weight of the #17 which is another very popular profile for these SML's.

Couple questions before i out my order in with McWhorter for a 45 xml.

H4895 is not available anywhere.
BH209 is non existent. I live in NJ so hunting i need this.
I would like to have some different powder options before i put my order in..
Scope will be NF ATACR 5x25x56. With either Mil-C. Or Mil XT. Thoughts on reticals just to see if there is anything i didnt think of concerning these rets. Has to be illuminated with Zero Stop required.

Sorry not versed in barrel contours. Thx

Brian

I would get my order in for the rifle now, you can always think a bit on the scope while rifle is being built. As far as the 2 reticles you listed I have both and like them both equally well.I also have the MIL R which I like a lot, its like a MIL version of the MOAR. I also have many of the MOAR and MOART in the ATACR's both FFP and SFP, I think people tend to get too caught up in the choice. Just pick if you want MIL or MOA, look at the reticle choices and pick the one that looks good to you and run with it. The biggest thing is learn the subtension on your particular reticle and practice with it. If you don't like clutter then I would choose in this order MIL-R, MIL-C, then the MIL-XT. You didn't state if you are going FFP or SFP but if you go the SFP your only choice is the MIL-R reticle.

I would get my order in for the rifle now, you can always think a bit on the scope while rifle is being built. As far as the 2 reticles you listed I have both and like them both equally well.I also have the MIL R which I like a lot, its like a MIL version of the MOAR. I also have many of the MOAR and MOART in the ATACR's both FFP and SFP, I think people tend to get too caught up in the choice. Just pick if you want MIL or MOA, look at the reticle choices and pick the one that looks good to you and run with it. The biggest thing is learn the subtension on your particular reticle and practice with it. If you don't like clutter then I would choose in this order MIL-R, MIL-C, then the MIL-XT. You didn't state if you are going FFP or SFP but if you go the SFP your only choice is the MIL-R reticle.
I definitely want FFP AND a Mil mill scope. I am heavily leaning towards Mil xt. Thx

Well i am not sure but McWhorter says i will get 2 custom loads done for me. 1 will be 325 gr pittman at 2750 fps and the second will be 325 pittman at 3110 fps. I am not sure if a barrel contour matters for this mzl.... seems like a Brux #5 can do both loads

H322 and Imr 8208 dont exists in todays world. Looks like i will be stuck with imr 4198 as i have 8 lb of it coming.
I was looking at the description for H322. I've only bought it and used it for my SML. I have a couple pounds of it, bought this year, so it must be somewhat obtainable. It says it's the top powder for 6PPC. Back when I was shooting benchrest, the top 6PPC powder was V-V N133. I don't know if this correlation can be made, but if H322 is what Arrowhead recommends for my SML, and H322 and N133 are considered the top powders for one thing (6PPC), one MAY be able to safely deduce that they are equally comparable for another thing - 45 cal SML. If so, I've got about 20 pounds of that stuff, and PowderValley has it in stock right now, in both 1# and 8#.

So, what's the opinion here - can one safely deduce that, if 2 powders are the top dogs for one caliber, and one of those powders is top dog for another caliber, does it follow that the second powder would probably also be equally good for that other caliber?