Lessons learned from first mountain hunt

Two words: Merino Wool. You should leave your tent in the morning shivering your *** off, as you will quickly warm up with a Merino base layer. Also, when you start to get hot, the Merino will not be as bad as poly or cotton for overheating. I find that a medium Merino base layer and even a light pant and jacket is plenty down into subfreezing weather, once you get moving. Similarly, you can handle some moderately warm weather for a while, and just peel off your baselayer and shove it in your pack when it warms up. Backpack hunting sounds like fun, but there are a lot of uncomfortable times (getting up in the middle of the night in subfreezing weather to pee isn't all its cracked up to be). Thank heavens we are so lucky to get to experience this.

I have lived the hell of sweating down and freezing on a 12f morning once . I started reading once home and discovered my flatlander mistakes.

1, When I emerge from the tent in the cold I hit the trail . Standing around or hunting for gear allows you time to get cold and add clothes.
2. Cotton base layers should be outlawed !! Wool !!!
3. Strip down as much as bearable to hike to your location less maybe necessary after you get going.
4. Have an extra set of base in your pack ,I would have killed for a set to trade out. in the end I removed the damp base layer and re-clothed with out them. ( better but miserable still)
, 5. If unsure about what to do in your mid day lull, rest, glass, eat, take a nap any thing but unnecessary walking.
I only have so many hunting miles in my knee's, using them up unnecessarily is a definite concern.
I have committed all of these mistakes.
I have turned what was supposed to be 5 days of pure heaven in the mountains hunting in to 3 days of pure hell ending in unsuccessful hunt .

Will I keep trying ? I am already planning a trip as I wright this.

Go the the website "Backpacking Light" and read, read, read. You'll learn how to pack light suing NON Wally Mart gear, use hiking poles to save your knees and what kind of light stove to take.
1. "Cotton Kills" Wear synthetics or long johns of Merino wool if you prefer wool. (I like Cabela's Polar weight polyester longies.)
2. The best stove I know of is the very versatile MSR Whisperlite Universal. For temps done to 10 F. use the inverted canister format. For temps below 10 F. use the white gas (petrol) format. This stove, like all MSR stoves, is very reliable in either format. But do NOT take both fuels in your pack. Decide which will do for the conditions and change the stove to work with it.
3. Try to make items do double duty such as a down or synthetic insulated jacket that can be worn in your sleeping bag. Gore-Tex parks for both rain and wind.
4. Get a good book or two on lightweight backpacking.
5. RENT main gear items first if possible. TEST gear on short pre-hunt trips.

PM me if you have gear questions. Read here about conditioning for hunting and try your best to follow it. Good conditioning is half of it. Good gear is 1/4 of it and trail and camp skills the other 1/4.

For the very best in tents look at Tarptent.com
All his tents are made in Nevada City, California and are top quality. I have a Moment DW solo tent for backpacking in all seasons and a 4 season Scarp 2 for my wife and I.

Eric B.

As someone else mentioned Kinesio tape is a good idea. Otherwise, trekking poles will work wonders, mainly on descents. As for training, since you live in Texas a football stadium should be easy to find. Walking/ running stairs in the heat will get your legs in shape for the inclines.

These have been great responses. I am planning my next trip to Colorado and in higher elevation. I have already made a new list of gear and picking up items each month.

In southwest Colorado, are the quality water filters good enough to protect oneself against the know dangers in the water. As I go through what I need to take on side trips and spike camps, the amount of water two people need for a couple of days seems like a lot to carry. If I can locate a reliable stream, I would rather be able to use it?

These have been great responses. I am planning my next trip to Colorado and in higher elevation. I have already made a new list of gear and picking up items each month.

In southwest Colorado, are the quality water filters good enough to protect oneself against the know dangers in the water. As I go through what I need to take on side trips and spike camps, the amount of water two people need for a couple of days seems like a lot to carry. If I can locate a reliable stream, I would rather be able to use it?

Growing up hunting the northwest, I always used to carry a Sawyer gravity filtration system and two 2 liter bags. Used one for drinking and the other as my filter bag. Now I live in Texas and you couldn't pay me enough to drink the water here. I'm guessing you'll be somewhere in the Rockies and I'd be willing to bet the water will be wonderful for drinking.
How's the rest of the gear list looking at this point? What total weight you shooting for this time around?
Side note - I see we're pretty close to each other. Where's a place to do some shooting around here

Side note - I see we're pretty close to each other. Where's a place to do some shooting around here[/QUOTE]

Tac Pro North of Stephenville is closest place that has a long range range. I have not shot there and I think it is a private range. Pigeon Road has shotgun, pistol and a 100 yard range and is public. Not sure of anything else.

Good quality socks, well fitting back back and being fitter than you think you need to be.
Nothing worse than being tired with sore feet and back before the hunt has even started.

Rob

Rough Creek Lodge has a 1000yd range. Not sure if its still open though, after The Legend was killed there

Side note - I see we're pretty close to each other. Where's a place to do some shooting around here

Tac Pro North of Stephenville is closest place that has a long range range. I have not shot there and I think it is a private range. Pigeon Road has shotgun, pistol and a 100 yard range and is public. Not sure of anything else.[/QUOTE]

Rough Creek Lodge has a 1000yd range. Not sure if its still open though, after The Legend was killed there.

Yes there range is still open but it also is a private range. They did sustain some damage this spring so not sure all repairs have been made.

I have picked up a couple of hammocks. Been going through the ultralight backpacking Web sites and making adjustments to my plans. I plan on getting a SteriPen and filter for using local water sources. Plan on using a tarp over the hammocks for spike camp. Trekking poles will be a handmade walking stick and a mono trigger stick. Also bought a solo charger with batteries to charge my GPS and phone. Need to look at some wool outerware, mainly pants. I think I got the upper outer covered.

Been walking the stairwells at work. Going down is still the scary part for me, still a lot of stress on the knees. At work I climb up and down ladders most each day as well when checking jobs. I think I have lost about 10 lbs and a couple of inches which is a big start to getting me back to 230lbs. Target weight.

3. Kinesiology Tape - My knees give me trouble too. I take this with me and use it on my knees on the hikes in and out. This past year I hiked out with a 135 lbs pack and my knees didn't give me even a second of trouble. It seems like BS, but the stuff works.[/QUOTE]

I just ordered some, after watching some of their videos it makes a lot of since to me.

HRstretch ,

I'll throw my two cents in here on stuff that works for long range hiking-mountain hunting .

You probably have the boot stuff ironed out by now - merino socks -and a sock liner are the way to go & having a spare pair of socks is never a bad idea .

PANTS your choice here is huge -get pants that have spandex inner thigh area -these are considered mountain climbing pants . The reason for them is that each time you pick your leg up -which is thousands of times -regular pants will bind against you . Pants like " Cloudveil " and others will allow the binding area of the crotch to easily stretch making each lift of the leg noticeably easier ,feels no different than wearing short pants . Plus the spandex breathes really well .
I think some of the high-end hunting clothes "camo" use it but I don't care about camo myself .
DON'T buy anything like microtex/super tough this & that the tough clothing will drag you down a lot per day .

For ultra light backpacking forget wool outer layers , get a down coat and hat , unzip/remove as needed be then it will compact down to the size of a football .

Then shop for light weight rain wind gear , Equinox has some great stuff for very little money .
Get one of their backpack poncho's in Green color it is great for wind/rain & an emergency shelter if need be . It weighs very little & packs the size of a double cheeseburger .

Downsize everything -down to a small backpacking knife and sharpener .
All these things plus getting in shape will give you confidence which is important in keeping your spirit & drive to hunt high .

Aleve a day will keep the knee pain awa-well not away but it will help us "mature" hunters ..Grin ..
Best of luck friend !

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.