Leopold RX 2800 or Vortex Razor HD 4000?

I'm shooting with a guy that has the vortex 4000 . it would not range a 30" square target at roughly 2375 yards . it did range the tree line behind the target at 38xx yards . tried it multipole times wouldn't pick it up . it ranged the same target fairly easy at 2050 yards .

As far as range goes, the 2700b doesn't do any better than the rx2800. The ballistic solution is a subjective necessity, I would not give up my tried and true solutions using AB custom curves, for a system that maxes out at 1000y. I would just end up using the 2700b as a rangefinder. I would contend however that the leupold is made in China so there's that.

I'm shooting with a guy that has the vortex 4000 . it would not range a 30" square target at roughly 2375 yards . it did range the tree line behind the target at 38xx yards . tried it multipole times wouldn't pick it up . it ranged the same target fairly easy at 2050 yards .

It's supposed to scan at 2400, and there's youtube videos of folks doing it out at about 1000, so that's real disappointing to hear.

gr8fuldoug pretty much confirmed the same though. Its a shame, but I suppose you do get what you pay for.

Glad I found this post, I found myself in the same dilemma as Muddyboots, after 18 years my rf gave up the ghost sunday. at least it made our Utah elk hunt trip (been back only a week).. those were the same 2 I had narrowed it down to also! Time for more research I guess. the Vortex warranty had me leaning that way but i'm glad to hear about other peoples experiences ..

Plus its my birthday so I get to buy myself a present! lol

Love it, ranges deer easily to 1100, hard targets that I have played with 2250. The glass is Leica, the magnification is crisp clear. Heck I even use it for bow since I leave binocs home using it as mono.