Leopold LRT question

ltrbuck

Just purchased a 6.5x20x50 LRT scope. After I get my zero where I want it, I'm told there's a way to adjust my turrents to "0" without actually changing the zero. How to? I see there's a screw in middle of turrent. Hold it down and turn turrents? Loosen and turn turrents? Help appreciated as always!

I have a 6.5-20X50 Leupold 30mm tube and after I zero it at say 200 yards I take a small allen wrench that came with it and loosen all three screws at the top of the elevation turret and spin the cap around until the zero hash mark lines up then gently tighten them down and your good to go . works the same way with the windage turret .

Bigbuck

Thanks for your help, I'll take a look at it! I assume both of the above posts will both work, being as they both have different ways to accomplish same thing?

Same thing. You really can't hurt it (unless you're an absolute madman). Don't fret, loosen the screw(s) a little bit (1/2 turn to a full turn) and try to spin the knob without moving the adjustment (no clicks). Turn the knob to 0 and tighten it. The only thing you can't do, is zero the up and down adjustment, you're stuck with that.

like bigbuck says especilly the gently part, don't over tighten the set screws you could possibly strip them. just snug them good

Just to clarify, are we all talking the little set screws with the allen wrench? What's the scoop with the big silver screw on top? Cross - what are you referring to about not changing the up and down adjustment?

ltrbuck, I'm not sure I understand completely what your saying when it comes to the silver screw. I don't have a silver screw on top of my leupold . I only have the three allen screws on the top edge of my turrets .

Cross , If i understand what your saying I believe you can zero the up and down adjustment . Here is how you do it but you will have to rezero your rifle afterwards. Run your elevation adjustment all the way down until it bottoms out then count each click as you go up until the turret stops going up . say for example you had 120 clicks counted when it bottomed out you divide that # by 2 and you would get 60 dial your turret back down 60 clicks and your now in the center of adjustment .

BigBuck

Silver screw I'm referring to is on the top\middle of the turrent(s) under the screw off cover. VX-3 model. Looks like a screw with a groove for a flat head screwdriver.

Silver screw I'm referring to is on the top\middle of the turrent(s) under the screw off cover. VX-3 model. Looks like a screw with a groove for a flat head screwdriver.

So, you must have the standard long range turret with the screw on caps? If so, I have never looked closely at those turrets to see if they can be reset to zero. I have a Mark 4 LRT with the M5 turret and the previous instructions apply to it, but I am not sure about the standard long range turret. I know several members here have that type of turret, maybe they will clear this up.

The long range target has the target turrets that are under removable caps. Not like the M1 or M3 turrets that do not have removable caps and are sealed and always in the open.

Once you zero your rifle, use the allen wrench that came with your scope, loosen the three small allen set screws on the top outside edge of your turret, the outside sleeve with the numbers and slash marks should turn easily as long as you loosened them far enough. The sleeve is all that turns, the silver part in the middle of the turret should not and if it does, loosen the set screws more. Move the outer sleeve so that the 0 lines up with the slash mark on the base of the turret housing. Gently tighten the set screws so you do not strip them. Now do the same for the windage turret.

It sounds like you have a scope without target turrets. The silver screw with the slot is on the older scopes with the standard adjustments. Are the turrets about 1 1/2" tall, black, with marks and numbers on the side. Or are they on top, around the silver screw ?

Scope is the VX-3 (not III) which has only been out a couple yrs. They have screw off caps unlike the Mark V, they are about 1.5", black with numbers on the side. Sounds like the 3 little allen screws are the right thing to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.