LEOPOLD 2800 RANGEFINDER

elkaholic

If this has already been addressed, please advise. I would like to know what you think if you have any experience with it. Also, what other brand would you recommend? I am also thinking of a Leica 2000 or 2400. Not real crazy about my Sig 2000......rich

I haven't heard anything about them. I made a similar thread when I initially learned about the rangefinder, but it wasn't out at that time.

Looks pretty nice for the price.

I haven't heard anything about them. I made a similar thread when I initially learned about the rangefinder, but it wasn't out at that time.

Looks pretty nice for the price.
I looked at one at Sportsman's today but didn't get too much time with it. I was impressed with what I did see. I wonder how far it gives the horizontal range given slope?

I can't speak to the Leupold, but I dont think it handles ballistics the way the newer Sigs and Leicas do. I guess it depends on what you want, if you simply want LOS range and angle modified, and plan to use a solver or whatever for ballistics, I am sure it will work quite nicely. Personally, I think Leica's R series RF's are some of the best. Leicas generally 'hit their numbers' under most conditions, not just under ideal ones, and their glass is fantastic, a benefit I think most people underestimate. At first and last light, it really matters, I have a competitor's lower end RF as well as a couple Leicas, and it makes a huge difference. In addition, the glass on Leica RF's is good enough that it serves really well as a 'first look' monocular. Often, I don't need to pull the binos out to tell if it was a deer or a 'bush buck'.

If you are looking for a ballistic solution, I lean towards those with weather stations as part of the package because it makes such a difference at distance. There are a lot of options and considerations at that level concerning the equipment and the workflow. I did a review on the Leica 2700 on a couple other forums, suffice it to say it ranges very well, glass is fantastic and it's internal ballistic solution is actually very good because unlike the previous B model RF's, you can input a custom curve (can't do that on the 2000 for example). Out until Coriolis and Aero jump start to matter, it's less than .1 MOA off of AB via Kestrel Elite, usually much less.

Sounds like Sig may not be your favorite, but in case you want to consider these, the 2400 ABS is high dollar, but full functioned, with full AB onboard. There are some issues to think about on that one concerning temp and maybe wind if you are shooting super long (all hand held RF's exhibit the temp issue to some degree afaik), but Sig has new options in the BDX line that can bypass those questions. Up to the 2200, you can run AB ultralite onboard, and it will function more or less like a Leica b model (temp instability is still there but does not matter at it's limited distance for ballistics which is 800 yards). The 2400 BDX ads the ability to synch with a Kestrel and run full weather data and AB from it, with the solution displayed in the RF. Only played with a pre pro of those, so not sure how it will actually work in the wild, but it's a great workflow if it works as it should. By moving temp and wind to the kestrel, those questions/issues are resolved.

HTH, let me know if I can help out.

I really don't care that much that it has a ballistic app, but for the price, I thought it might be as good as the Leica 2000? I agree with you on the Leica glass, etc. I just need a little more range than my 1600 offers. Thx for the input!!

I'm looking at this one also, I've had great luck with my rx1200i, but some more range would be fun. Don't really need all the ballistic software or weather info, have apps and wind meters for that.

I think Cabela's has their trade in thing going on now? Take any working optic and get like $75 credit I think.

I got to take one outside alongside a Sig 2200 and the Nikon 4k. All were nice. The farthest hill that was available to range was right at 1020 yds . They all ranged it quickly. I came away thinking I will get the Leupold because it felt better in my hand(solid feeling) and because of the ballistic software but I didn't get to use it on this test. I wish I could have ranged out further but that was as far as this area would allow. For now I'm getting the Leupold

I'm looking at this one also, I've had great luck with my rx1200i, but some more range would be fun. Don't really need all the ballistic software or weather info, have apps and wind meters for that.

I think Cabela's has their trade in thing going on now? Take any working optic and get like $75 credit I think.
Right! I have AB on my phone that I use.

I got to take one outside alongside a Sig 2200 and the Nikon 4k. All were nice. The farthest hill that was available to range was right at 1020 yds . They all ranged it quickly. I came away thinking I will get the Leupold because it felt better in my hand(solid feeling) and because of the ballistic software but I didn't get to use it on this test. I wish I could have ranged out further but that was as far as this area would allow. For now I'm getting the Leupold
I ranged a barn out of my Cabela's store at 2200 yards with my Sig. BIG MISTAKE! When I actually got to field conditions, it wouldn't keet up with my Leica 1600!

Yea I'm very disappointed with my sig 2000. It seemed great when I first got it but went down hill fast. I don't think I will buy anything less then a Leica now. Wish I would have just spent the money on the leica. I currently have a rifle sent off to the manufacturer two vortex pst scopes and my sig range finder the rifle I think is a freak thing. But the optics I think are just a sub par product very disappointed in them. I will say this at least sig paid for shipping to get it there vortex makes you pay shipping to them. Now sig has had my rangefinder since like July 5 and I still haven't heard a thing yet unless I call them. I'm just really frustrated right now but once cry once I guess.

My wife and I both have Leica RFs, I have the older 1600B which I bought over six years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. Over the years I have ranged deer and Chamois out to 1300m. My wife has the newer 2000B and it is certainly faster at displaying the range and I have ranged trees with it to beyond 2000m. The greatest distance I have managed with my 1600B on a tree is 1637m which is further than they say it will range. The new 2700B has a great asset in being able to download your own ballistic curve to an SD card and have the range finder work off that info. If you have more than one rifle (and who doesn't?) it would be easy to have several named SD cards so when you take out your 300 mag you take that card and if it is a 6.5 day you just change cards.
Sorry but I can't comment on either the Leupold or the Sig.
Cheers,
Kiwikid

I have the Leica 2700 and 1600. The 2700 is better by a good amount but it's also considerably more money now days too. I'd have a hard time not buying the 2700 for a sub 900.00 rangefinder. If I wanted more then that I'd save and buy a Terrapin.

I have the Leica 2700 and 1600. The 2700 is better by a good amount but it's also considerably more money now days too. I'd have a hard time not buying the 2700 for a sub 900.00 rangefinder. If I wanted more then that I'd save and buy a Terrapin.
Better because of the additional ranging ability?
Other benefits???

It ranges further faster. The ability to load your own ballistic curves from a supplied micro sd card is pretty nice too.

If a person is smart about it the retail price can be beat by quite a bit too. I think in total I had under 650.00 in mine. For that price I don't think anything can touch it. I have a Terrapin too and I take the 2700 with me 99% of the time. I don't need the Terrapin for practical hunting situations and at about 3x the cost it can't compete in a function versus price comparison. The Terrapin is in another league for distances ranged but the 2700 will do more then most will ever need.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.