Len's "Physical Training For Hunts" Trip To Rocky Mountain National Park

It's a beautiful place. I've hiked almost every trail you've described. My wife's parents bought property in Estes Park in the 70's, and built their retirement dream house 30 years or more ago. Dad was a VP Volunteer Ranger- he was an expert in the backcountry and spoke 5 languages so he would accompany foreign dignitaries for interpretive hikes.

I've snowshoed many miles on those trails with Dad in the winter months. That's when RMNP is at its finest- peace, quiet and sheer beauty. I miss my father-in-law awfully.

Thanks for recharging my memory banks.

Great pictures, bring great memories. Being there with my teenagers , my daughter asked if we could live there. Love RMNP. Many thanks.

Ute Trail was one of those mentioned earlier in this story.

I mentioned lightning danger and here's a story of strikes one year earlier....2014.

Date: July 12, 2014

At approximately 3:50 p.m. today, Saturday, July 12, park rangers were notified of a lightning strike that occurred near Rainbow Curve in Rocky Mountain National Park. Rainbow Curve is located at 10,829 feet along Trail Ridge Road. Rangers responded to four injured people. Four were taken to Estes Park Medical Center via ambulance, one man succumbed to his injuries.

Yesterday, Friday, July 11, at approximately 1:20 p.m. park staff were notified of a lighting strike that occurred on the Ute Crossing Trail in Rocky Mountain National Park. This trailhead is located on Trail Ridge Road at roughly 11,400 feet, between Rainbow Curve and Forest Canyon Overlook.

Eight people were affected by the lightning strike on Friday with a variety of injuries. All of the people were hiking and were returning to the trailhead when lightning struck the area, roughly 500 yards from the trailhead. One woman died from her injuries. An air ambulance was able to land between cycles of severe weather but the woman died on scene. She has been identified as Rebecca R. Teilhet, 42, from Yellow Springs, Ohio. She was hiking with her husband and a friend. Her husband and friend were taken by ambulance to Estes Park Medical Center.

The other five victims were part of a local hiking group and transported themselves to the Estes Park Medical Center.

The Larimer County Coroner's office will determine the cause of death. The last lightning fatality that occurred in Rocky Mountain National Park was in 2000, when a technical climber was struck on the Diamond on Longs Peak.

That was a great read Len. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
Thank you and by the way I am just reaching home after a 3 day backpack Add venture in the Grand Canyon followed by some time at canyon Lance National Park Pardon the voice typing errors

We are so blessed to live in a free country with unbelievable beauty. I have been in some of the most beautiful places in the world. Although the most memorable trip was with my family visiting and hiking in Glacier NP, Yellowstone, and the Tetons. Loved the story of your adventures.