Len's book reading list - featuring the "Bob Lee Swagger - sniper" series

Couple of thoughts.

First, love Stephen Hunter, have read them all.

In addition to the other thriller writers mentioned, Jack Carr, a fairly new author, writes the James Reece series. The first book, The Terminal List, will be a mini-series on Amazon July 1 starring Chris Pratt. If you want a Winkler tomahawk, better get one now, there will be a run after July mini-series.

And, while he did spend 20 years as a SEAL, this isn't another "my time at BUD/S" book. Well crafted with lots of twists.

Didn't care for Koontz' Odd Thomas, but the Jane Hawk series is haunting and pretty prescient of current events.

And his "dog books", Watchers, and Devoted are excellent.

The early Randy Wayne White Doc Ford books are excellent; former spook working as a marine biologist on Sanibel Key. Quality goes way down after about book 10.

The Jesse McDermitt series from Wayne Stinnett is pretty good too, although kind of a knock-off of the Doc Ford character.

Read all of Larry McMurtry's stuff. Warning that he was very depressed at times in his life, and it shows in his books, so if you tend towards the down side maybe not the best reads.

For crime I like Michael Connelly, both the Harry Bosch and Micky Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer) books.

For classics everyone should read Green Hills of Africa.
Nice contribution!

Just finished the new Jack Carr book. Well audio book anyways. I drive a lot. I thought the entire series was entertaining even though a little bit unbelievable at time but it is a fiction series.

I don't watch a lot of TV these days but I am looking forward to the TV series based on the books
What timing. I just watched a YouTube video with him in it and at the end he was promoting his books…thought I would give him a try.

I wish I had the time as I loved to read high school, I was a Louis L'Amore fan
Same here, this site takes up a good share of my limited reading time.

Probably similar to Libby, I have One Drive on my IPad. I can check out unlimited audiobooks for free from the library. Your local librarian can help you set it up needed. Anytime I'm in the car, on a plane, reloading…. I'm listening to a book. Gets me through 50+ books a year.

Love this running list of rec.s. It's going to be a great reference.

I'll add "The Cobra" by Frederick Forsyth. This is the ultimate "let the dog off the leash" story.

For decades, the West has been fighting the cocaine cartels-and losing- until the president decides enough is enough and asks one man to take charge. His task: to destroy the cocaine industry. His name: Cobra. It is the ultimate secret war. But only one side can win...

Another one that is new is Endure by Cameron Hanes. I'm halfway through it (audio book) and it's interesting. If you know of Cam Hanes you know he is a crazy SOB. I would say it's more of a motivational book then a book on hunting or shooting but it definitely has a hunting theme.

Well just finished 47th Samurai.

Quite a transition from chopping weeds in Idaho to Samurai in Tokyo.......like walking into the glass mirror on the Armoir in C.S. Lewis and coming out in Narnia......

Just finished Night of Thunder.
Stephen Hunter must hate Christians, especially Baptists. Cant say I enjoyed his portrayal in this book, the only long range was at the end......Mark 2:11

It took the cripple a lot of faith to get up off his pallet......and it took a lot of faith in an unknown zero on that last shot.

Maybe he'll go after newage or woke politically correct stereotypes in the next book. Hypocrites come in all shapes and sizes and world views.....

Lucifer fell from the sky this time too.

And the sinnerman just went rollin along, right into Hell.

426 Hemis w 425 Hp arent even a pimple on an 800 hp muscle car's
rear deck these days....

Just finished the Third Bullet.
I happen to have read 20 books on the Kennedy Assasination, so I really really enjoyed this.

Wonderful linkage back to the other BLS series books too.

The guy that comes closest to JFK truth in my mind to the truth is Lamar Waldron, the Ultimate Sacrifice and Legacy of Secrecy.

Mafia was heavily involved by infiltrating the CIA.

Jack Carr is very black-and-white to me, I always found it too simple to predict plots because characters that die are clearly bad and main characters survive. Based on his prefaces he's trying very hard to create a compelling growth narrative inside his lead character, but he's surrounded by so many absolutes he doesn't seem to actually have any free will in making decisions.

A 300 yard shot with a 1911 was a bit much also 🤣

Jack Carr is very black-and-white to me, I always found it too simple to predict plots because characters that die are clearly bad and main characters survive. Based on his prefaces he's trying very hard to create a compelling growth narrative inside his lead character, but he's surrounded by so many absolutes he doesn't seem to actually have any free will in making decisions.

A 300 yard shot with a 1911 was a bit much also 🤣
Agree.