Len's book reading list - featuring the "Bob Lee Swagger - sniper" series

Len, if you've not read unintended consequences, I'd like to send you a copy. When your done, pass it on to another LRH member. It's the most influential book of my life behind the King James Version.

Len GREAT Post!
Love to hear about READERS. When I lived in HI I had my company make extra shelving racks in the back office. I would read sometimes two books a day in the office. Had over 2K books stored and then gave them all away. Mostly Spy novels. Over the past 25 years I only had the pleasure to read technical books for my Profession (Safety & Health). My position required me to travel between the entire South East to Four Regional Offices and visits to my field staff in seven States. A lot of windshield time. Would use Tape and CD Books to listen while driving. Over the years my personal preference is for Metallurgy, Machines/Tooling, Ballistics ELR, and books on animals. Most everything I purchase now is Digital format from Amazon and keep on our Fire pad.
Years ago I knew quite a few READERS and would trade books constantly. I was glad to see the POST and that there are still people interested in READING. Reading is almost lost to todays generations.
Will look forward to reading some of the posted suggestions.
Len & Jill

I used to read a ton of books before we had kids. Now i dont have time and when i do, it's in the evening and i just fall asleep. I'll get back to it one day. I've read several of the bob lee swagger books. I really liked "the third bullet". most of the books i have bought lately have come from ebay. you can usually find anything for under $10 shipped to your door. no reason to pay barnes and noble or amazon for a brand new book.

I just got an email notice from my library. They offer a "FAVORITE AUTHOR CLUB". It lists about 100 writers. You can check boxes for any and they'll send you a notice when your writer announces publication of a new title. Then the new book is placed on hold for you automatically.

Dear LEN BACKUS,
Because you're a member of the Favorite Author Club, these items have been
placed on hold for you. They are NOT YET AVAILABLE; you are currently on the
waitlist for them, and will be notified when they are ready for pickup.

If there are any of these titles that you do not want, you may remove your
holds here: http://catalog.winnefox.org

1 Long shadows
Baldacci, David
call number:XX(1281082.2)

2 Desert star
Connelly, Michael
call number:XX(1281900.1)

3 Cross over
Patterson, James
call number:XX(1281618.1)

4 Livid
Cornwell, Patricia
call number:XX(1281081.2)

5 No plan B
Child, Lee
call number:XX(1281084.2)

This painting by Winslow Homer named "A Tight Fix" was at the Amon Carter Museum back in 2017 or 2018.

Hunter is down, lost his rifle, only has his knife, his partner in the background doesn't see him in peril.
Sorry gents, but I got my artists mixed up. I was thinking this one was by Winslow Homer, but it was by Arthur Fitzwilliam Tait.

Even says Tait on the bottom.......duh......Winslow Homer did have a few in the same exhibit so maybe that's what I was remembering.
They were both contemporary artists in the 19th century.

I like to hunt ALL day but as we all know the midday can become excruciating to get thru if you don't nap!! I like to bring a book in the woods where I need to be without introducing noise coming or going. Staying in helps you become "part" of the background. So I have found bringing a book is great way to pass time plus the enjoyment of a good read! Sometimes you get into a passage that you get annoyed when a critter has audacity to interrupt a good read!😂

I used to read a ton for fun…now im finishing up my masters degree and read on average 300-600 pages a week because i have to so when im not working on that I rarely feel like doing more reading haha.

I read a lot of sci fi and mystery. One of my all time favourites will forever be Michael Crichton's "Jurassic Park" - the famous movie is based on this novel which came first. Both are awesome, but the novel is MUCH darker and more visceral, your skin just crawls in places before anything has even happened yet, the author is able to create an atmosphere of dread and impending doom that makes it very hard to put down. Guy was a medical doctor before he was a writer too so the science part of his science fiction isn't completely based on imagination only (sort of like how John Grisham was a lawyer before writing books with climactic scenes happening in the courtroom)

As for outdoorsy stories, I can't remember how well written the actual book was but the story, and it's based on a very true story, "The Mad Trapper" is a captivating mystery indeed! We had to read it in school; didn't mind at all. If you haven't heard of or read about the mad trapper do yourself a favour and do so, see what you make of it.

I read history quite a bit. American and world history. One of my favorites is "Miracle At Philadelphia" by Catherine Drinker Bowen. History of our Constitution, the brilliant founders, mostly very young for their incredible knowledge/intelligence. The compromises that have repercussions even today.
Read it 3-4 times and the book is lost somewhere on the last move sadly. Very inspiring and a reminder of why we are so lucky to live in the US, warts and all.

Just finished Bob Lee Swagger
Point of Impact. Now on to book 2
Black Light...

The whole bit about making a sabot
that would shoot w pinpoint accuracy for 1400 yards was a bit much......they didnt even true the BC.....🙂

But, it was a fun read....

Never knew about the 10 Black Kings from Winchester either......🙂

Couple of thoughts.

First, love Stephen Hunter, have read them all.

In addition to the other thriller writers mentioned, Jack Carr, a fairly new author, writes the James Reece series. The first book, The Terminal List, will be a mini-series on Amazon July 1 starring Chris Pratt. If you want a Winkler tomahawk, better get one now, there will be a run after July mini-series.

And, while he did spend 20 years as a SEAL, this isn't another "my time at BUD/S" book. Well crafted with lots of twists.

Didn't care for Koontz' Odd Thomas, but the Jane Hawk series is haunting and pretty prescient of current events.

And his "dog books", Watchers, and Devoted are excellent.

The early Randy Wayne White Doc Ford books are excellent; former spook working as a marine biologist on Sanibel Key. Quality goes way down after about book 10.

The Jesse McDermitt series from Wayne Stinnett is pretty good too, although kind of a knock-off of the Doc Ford character.

Read all of Larry McMurtry's stuff. Warning that he was very depressed at times in his life, and it shows in his books, so if you tend towards the down side maybe not the best reads.

For crime I like Michael Connelly, both the Harry Bosch and Micky Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer) books.

For classics everyone should read Green Hills of Africa.

Just finished the new Jack Carr book. Well audio book anyways. I drive a lot. I thought the entire series was entertaining even though a little bit unbelievable at time but it is a fiction series.

I don't watch a lot of TV these days but I am looking forward to the TV series based on the books