Len's 44 Mile Grand Canyon Adventure - March, 2021

I was a Geology major at NAU in the mid 60s and spent a lot of time inside the rim. Now, closing on 60 years later, I really want to make one more trip. What were the campground at Indian Gardens and Phantom like?

Thanks, Len, for posting this...got my juices flowing again!

That's an impressive Itinerary!
Did the Kaibab from Yaki point back in 79. Spent the night at the river. Up the Bright angel on day two. I was in great physical condition. Not great hiking condition. I was a tad sore. You can't "see" the Canyon from the rim, like you can inside. Amazing beauty.

Definitely should be on the bucket list.

Attachments

• IMG_5947.JPG
    IMG_5947.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5709.jpg
    IMG_5709.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5857.JPG
    IMG_5857.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5768.JPG
    IMG_5768.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5552.jpg
    IMG_5552.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Thanks For sharing. Great pictures and story. I just saw on Facebook a MUCH younger friend and guide I elk hunt with and his girlfriend just completed a Grand Canyon hike of 50 miles in 24 hours. Yes, that is correct. Oh, how wonderful to be young. Lol.

Thanks For sharing. Great pictures and story. I just saw on Facebook a MUCH younger friend and guide I elk hunt with and his girlfriend just completed a Grand Canyon hike of 50 miles in 24 hours. Yes, that is correct. Oh, how wonderful to be young. Lol.
Naw... Youth is wasted on the young... They should have slowed down and appreciated the views more... LOL

What trails were you hiking in these photos? Or was that from a float trip?
The first four photos are from Deer Creek trail, which leads from a tall waterfall at river level, up past God's Garden several hundred feet above the river and on to the Throne Room where a waterfall pours out of a cliff. It's quite a feeling to sit on the rocks behind the throne waterfall, looking out into the canyon and hearing the water booming inside the cliff behind you. The last photo was taken inside the giant Red Wall Cavern. We accessed these areas from the river. There might be access to Deer Creek from the rim. We're going back in two weeks and plan to do a lot more hiking. Some places like Havasu Creek don't even look real.