length of pull

Don't take my word on this because it is something I have read on the internet, but. Grab the rifle with your finger on the trigger in the shooting position. Bend the elbow 90 degrees. The but of the stock should just touch your upper arm below the bicep.

Perhaps this will help ...

armlop.jpg

STmark_091306A.jpg

Good luck!

Ed

Perhaps this will help ...

armlop.jpg

STmark_091306A.jpg

Good luck!

Ed

Very good graphic Feenix.
I bend my arm at 90 degrees and put the butt of the rifle right in the crotch of the bend in my arm and keeping the rifle against my verticle fore-arm, extend my finger to the trigger. I prefer the trigger to be equal to the very first joint in from the tip of my finger. 15 1/2 inches. I happen to have very long arms for an average size guy, so I always have to add length to factory rifles to be comfy. usually between 3/4 of an inch to 1 1/8 inch dpending on rifle stock.
Typically only tall people like to shoot my rifles, and once they do they ask if I can show them how to make thiers fit them better.
Just a warning, once you get yours fitted properly youll instantly turn into a ''gun snob'' and wont enjoy shooting anybody elses rifle as much as you enjoy shooting your own:D

Measured wrong the first time. I remeasured and got 17 1/2 inches on my arm, but will measure Medalist when I get home...I wear button up shirts with 37" sleeves...

Thank you all for the advice.

winmag

How would you go about adding about three inches to a stock?

3".......Holy crap! You may want to consult a smith for a custom aluminum adjustable LOP. like many trap shooters have on thier shotguns. They can be made with recoil reducers also, but heavier.
But for minor adjustments say around 1inch or less, Midway, and a few other places, local gunshops etc., sell ''shims'' for placing between your recoil pad and stock. Theres also the diy meathod wich can be very easy to very difficult depending on your stock. With everything from wood, to plastic, to colored lexand plastic, to.............Use barge cement, superglue gell, whatever you choose, and screws. Filling old holes in stock is as simple as using superglue and match sticks, or tooth pics. This allows a stripped out hole, or a miss aligned hole to be plugged and hold a screw with integredy
**just make sure your shim materia will hold up to whatever conditions you hunt in. Freezing sometimes causes some materials to become brittle.**
Most factory rifles offer a 13 3/4 - to-14 1/4 +plus or minus- and you can order shims that are pre-ground to fit your stock. You can also order grind to fit.
It will only be as pretty or as ugly as you make it, so do it right. It will feel like a whole new rifle, and the job you do will show, so you may as well make it sexy as well as functional while your at it.

Kevin Rayhill of Stockade Gun Stocks might be able to help you with a new stock with the proper LOP to fit you correctly or an adjustable butt plate ...

Stocks

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
i recently lengthened my new 22LR stock by 3/4" to 14.25" LOP, i cant believe how much more comfortable it is.

My tactic worked well for me and my situation, laminate wood stock that i was doing some other mods to and eventually repainted. i found a scrap of 3/4" oak laying around and drilled holes to match the butt pad screws. i then screwed the over sized piece to the end of the stock nice and snug with some glue in between. i then grabbed some dowel, probably about 3/8" or so, and drilled 2 holes though the extension piece in the stock a couple inches. filled the new holes with glue, drove the dowel pins into their holes and let the whole thing sit 24 hrs to dry. the next day i trimmed the dowels flush and then took the stock to the belt sander and blended the extension into the stock. came out looking great, you would never know i extended the stock myself unless i told you.

Feenix, that was as good an illustration and explanation as I've seen on the topic. Only, I've never understood the logic behind it. When I shoot, I don't snug the rifle into my elbow pocket. I snug it into my shoulder. I tend to prefer my length of pull a bit longer than the elbow method would suggest.

Natty Bumpo,

It is just a guide and it works for most people. The bottom line is "if it works for the end user" - end user comfortable and can effectively shoot his/her rifle consistently.

Similarly, in archery, anchor point is one of those comfort zones that varies for every shooter. I anchor mine on the end of my lip/mouth ... my friend on the other hand put his thumb at the back of his ears just behind his ear lobes. Our built is nearly identical but because the way he anchor/shoots, his draw length is ~3" longer than mine. Having said that, his got the advantage over me.

Stay with what works for you, regardless what most people do. Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.