Length of Pull

Gregory Duerr

Im 6'5" and my LOP is at 13 7/8 and thats good for me but when asked what my LOP is I was told that at your height your LOP should be 15 1/2" and that was what a Master Gunsmith told me, or one who thinks he is .................How do you find out what your LOP is. Plus I have never heard of anyone with a 15.5 LOP. The Smith who is about 5'7" said his is 15" Does this sound right??
He said that the standard LOP on factory rifles is 14"??

Lots of ways to measure this and one is just your preference.
But one way to measure is to lay the butt of the rifle in the inside crease of your elbow. If the draw length is correct you trigger finger should lay exactly on the trigger as it would be fired. You can also just measure from the inside crease of your elbow to middle pad of your trigger finger bent in a firing position.
My length of pull is really about 14 1/2" and I an 6'2" tall. But I like to shorten it to 14" as it helps shoulder the rifle with a bulky coat and I like it a little shorter when firing prone.
Lots of other ways to measure on youtube. But above is what I do.
Personally I think 15 1/2" is pretty long...

15.5 might be right for a shotgun shooting clay targets at your height but sounds way to long for a scoped rifle. try taping spacers to your recoil pad to get to that length and see if you can even adjust for eye relief and don't forget to adjust for hunting clothes and jacket

I have tested this method on myself and some friends. It seems like it does have some merit.

As you can see, your height doesn't matter but shoulder width and neck length does. You also might need to make an allowance for a real long nose.

Last edited:
Lots of ways to measure this and one is just your preference.
But one way to measure is to lay the butt of the rifle in the inside crease of your elbow. If the draw length is correct you trigger finger should lay exactly on the trigger as it would be fired. You can also just measure from the inside crease of your elbow to middle pad of your trigger finger bent in a firing position.
My length of pull is really about 14 1/2" and I an 6'2" tall. But I like to shorten it to 14" as it helps shoulder the rifle with a bulky coat and I like it a little shorter when firing prone.
Lots of other ways to measure on youtube. But above is what I do.
Personally I think 15 1/2" is pretty long...

What he said !!

I am 6'4'' and have a length of pull of 15'' . so height has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the length of your forearm and hand.

J E CUSTOM

I have tested this method on myself and some friends. It seems like it does have some merit.

As you can see, your height doesn't matter but shoulder width and neck length does. You also might need to make an allowance for a real long nose.

One of the best I have seen ... it makes sense too.

Standard LOP on most factory rifles is 13 3/4",

15.5" seems like a lot, Im 6' tall and prefer a shorter LOP 13.5" I find anymore when Im wearing my pack and I can't shoulder the gun properly,

But with that being said most gunsmiths will have spacers to test for fit and everyone is different in size.

Sometimes an adjustable but pad is the answer for different types of shooting and hunting. Clothing can make a difference and should be looked at also.

I tried the nose method and found placing the but in the crease of the elbow to be the best for me. The arm length places the hand in the proper place every time, and trigger control relies on the position of the hand to be consistent.

What ever works best for you is what counts.

J E CUSTOM

What length did you get using the nose method?

It averaged 14" (To Short) Maybe my nose is short or my hand is big (Or both) the only time I have been able to shoot with this short (14")
was in offhand competition where i needed to get the rifle close.

The nose method may work well for some just not me.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.