Length of barrel

No Fear in Accuracy

Hello, I'm not sure if it is possible to cut 2 inch off from the thread on the barrel, then re-thread and rechamber after the throat becomes worn out?
I'm saying is that if I order 38" barrel and fired high number of rounds and the throat is beginning to worn out. Then cut off 2". Therefore I'll have 36" barrel remaining and fire another 2000 rounds. Do I have to replace a new barrel or could the gunsmith cut off the thread area and rechamber? I'm not sure if the grooves after 2 inches (from the chamber area) are still good? I hope I'm making myself clear. If not, email me and I'll try to explain a little more.
If you are curious what will the cartridge be? It will be 338 Tomahawk.

-Denny
338 Tomahawkallthewaay

[ 04-06-2002: Message edited by: Me? 300 Tomahawk :p ]

Start with a 38" barrel, shoot it till you think it's not shooting very well anymore, cut off 3" of barrel at the chamber end and rechamber and rethread and start over again.
That way you will get into good rifling again.

Normally, if you get 2000 rounds the first time and it's set back and rechambered, expect 1/2 life or 1000 rounds out of it the next time. That's the way it usually works but, not always.

Later
Darryl

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.