Len Backus and Robb Wiley discuss some of the best elk hunting calibers - Video

Friends. Focus on impact energy not a specific caliber or cartridge. Any cartridge delivering 2000 ftlbs on target will kill elk. More is better to the extent you can hit what you are aiming at. Muzzle brakes are godsends. Make sure your bullets are designed for your probable ranges. Most of the premium bullets out there have minimum impact velocity of 2000fps. Paper is easy to kill at 1000 yds but do you have an expanding bullet with 2000ftlbs?

I have killed several elk over the years. My first was with a 7mm Rem Mag, but switched to a 338 Win Mag because of the distances (all my elk, with one exception, have been over 300 yards plus) I have had to shoot. I am older now and have had 2 surgeries on my right shoulder and have become a little recoil sensitive. I am thinking of changing to my 280 Remington or my new custom rifle in 7x57 Mauser and being a little more selective in my shots.
Whatever u get, put a break on it. The recoil issue goes away

I have a question that I'm having trouble finding with search bar. What do you guys site your gun in at? I'm at 100 yards currently, but that's quite a drop at 300-400 for a 300WM, or a 264. Do you guys like them sited in at 200 yards, or 300 yards. It seems like most are taken at Rob's place in Wyoming at or around 300 yards. However, it seems like quite a few of you have taken it in the 6 to 800 yard range. That 300 yd site in sure would take a lot of calculations out in the event you're at 100 to 400.

When I got my new rifle last year and was learning how to shoot it and how the optics worked I was taught to always zero it in at 200 yards. Different elevations will also change your zero. Where Non-Typical is they are in the 8 thousand and up range. So if I used my 4 thousand foot turret I would be shoot high. So you will need to check your rifles once you get into camp and make the necessary adjustments to the altitude. I am sure there are people on this forum that know a heck of a lot more about this then I do. So please correct me if I miss spoke.

When I got my new rifle last year and was learning how to shoot it and how the optics worked I was taught to always zero it in at 200 yards. Different elevations will also change your zero. Where Non-Typical is they are in the 8 thousand and up range. So if I used my 4 thousand foot turret I would be shoot high. So you will need to check your rifles once you get into camp and make the necessary adjustments to the altitude. I am sure there are people on this forum that know a heck of a lot more about this then I do. So please correct me if I miss spoke.
If you use any ballistic calculator, you'll see the difference is rather small. I'd guess less than. 75" at most hunting distances. My gun is about 5/8".

I had the good fortune to take my first bull with Rob at the Greys River camp some years ago. I told Rob I was shooting a 6.5x284 (single shot Cooper Phoenix bolt rifle). At the time I remember Rob had a look on his face like, "thats different". He knew I shot a lot and in casual long range competitions. Fortunately as he states in the above video, one well placed shot in the vitals is all it took. I'll always have one in my stable but for elk I too have become enamored with the 28 Nosler and I'm really liking this one! See you soon Rob. : )

View attachment 79417 View attachment 79418
whats the scope and build ?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts