Leica, what do we want them to manufacture?

Pete Lincoln

Here is your chance to voice your wishes and thoughts about what one of the worlds major optics companies should produce in the future. I have been invited to attend an innovations meeting at Leice, Solms Germany on 15th Feb.
" we need your knowhow " is what i was told.
I propose to put a presentation together, based on comments, wishes, thoughts and experiences gathered by users of optics within several different shooting disciplins and applications, LRH, Mil & LE. Target sports etc and deliver it to Leica at this meeting.
So guys.
what do you want with regards to bino's, rangefinders, spotting scopes and rifle scopes. ?
Pete

Put a reticle in their excellent rangefinding binoculars and spotting scope.
5 MIL increments between hashmarks - doesnt obscure view, but good enough to put shooters field of view on target.

Major PIA for me; talking shooter on target when there aren't any good reference points in the terrain.

My dream pair of binoculars would be VERY similar to the BRF's just smaller and lighter, say 8x30 or 8x32 or 10x30 or 10x32 and they would range farther than 1300 yards, say 1500-2000 yards with angle compensation? Current optical qualities would suffice but if they were on par with the EL line by Swarovski that would make them perfect.

That would be the ultimate binocular for me. I am needing a pair of light weight binos with an LRF for sheephunting as I could carry 1 unit vs 2. Right now I can either buy the BRF from Leica that weight 32 oz. or a small pair of EL's that weigh 21 oz and have a light weight LRF which enables me to range farther yet I am still at 32 oz. What is described above would be a dream. Cost being around 2500 bucks is not an issue.

In short, combine the Swarovski EL 8 or 10x32 with the swaro laser guide with a simple angle correction and you would have an unbeatable bino system.

Thanks for the opprotunity to dream!

Pete,
Ask them to either scale down the Vector or make one that would retail for 2-2500 bucks with 1500 yard performance assured regardless of light conditions, reflectivity, fox or moose. Then ask them to put a chip inside that would have a variety of ballistics info that could be selected as the critter is lasered. Even if it is a bit generic it would be a good reminder that your seven hundred yard drop is 19 moa. I think Leupold is doing something like that in a new unit. Then ask them to ship the laser with a field rest that will work from prone, as a window-mount and maybe it could scratch a person's back as required.

Want to get crazier. How about some magic chip inside the unit that would detect wind and mirage and determine direction and strength. Naturally it would have on board sensors to detect wind speed and direction at the firing position, as well as temps and rel. humidity etc. Then it would apply that info to your trajectory info and send at the touch of a button to your rifle scope - like FireWire or whatever the hell they call it. When that data, distance, drop and drift got to the scope the aiming mark would move to the appropriate position since the scope also has your downrange trajectories in its chip. Scope would actually fire the rifle when the aiming mark is stable and on target - after you have set a button to tell the scope what the target is after you have been on it for a few seconds. Aiming mark is a floating dot or X, who cares, can be intensified, changed to suit target, background of course. Once a target is identified the aiming mark would follow it if it moves, compensate for running of course. Make mine in Realtree camo, complete with a lifetime battery-pack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

They are lucky to have you on their team.

I agree with Ian. We need them to update their rangefinders to 1500 yards or more in any condition. Keep the small aiming box though and the small size and weight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh, and give us a bleepin threaded tripod adapter on it instead of that mickey mouse plastic wrap-around thingy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif And no more silvery finishes on the spotters!

Since we are wishing,
15-25 power, 1500 on fur, put a signal strength indicator like the old Bushnell 1000's and use an accurate thin lined box for the ranging point.
Binocs, with bottom mounting screw, wouldn't care if they were the size of a lunchbox, mount on a tripod anyway. Maybe a small port for an accesory of a remote ranging pushbutton with an 18inch cable for attaching to the adjustment handles on the tripod.

Pete
Please, please ask them to make rifle scopes!!!
Leica is my choice of binocs after much personal debate and cross referencing on Zeiss; Swaro.
Since I don't see S&B binocs and have not used their scopes I can't compare Leica to S&B for performance but I would expect Leica to at least equal S&B in quality and maybe at a cheaper price?
I have used Swaro; Zeiss and high end Leupold extensively.
My wish would be for a 6-24 variable with a reticle suitable for shooting small game such as rabbits out to 1000yds. Need trustworthy turrets and prefer something lighter than the 5-25 S&B [ie <1kg].
Also room in cabinet for an excellent 1-4 variable for close fast work. Note true 1 power!!
Again please get them to make us some scopes!
APB

Oboy, O boy, Oboy !!

Pete, ya gotta tell'em to make a 10 to 15 Duovid with a improved LRF piggy backing as in the geovid brf. We need more magnification to be able to resolve smaller targets to lase at distance . So, a 10 to 15 x 50 duovid brf will be it for me. Course improving the laser performance is really important too .

Jim B.

Not trying to hijack the thread...

[ QUOTE ]
Leica is my choice of binocs after much personal debate and cross referencing on Zeiss; Swaro.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should at the very least re-afirm that each indaviduals eyes are differant and that the best for me isnt for another. Back to the example of the Zeiss that I couldnt see ANYTHING clearly through yet others claimed they were the best. They are all good, we just have to find what works for us as indaviduals.

Regards!

Don´t know when or where.. but I saw one of those gunwriters do an article in a magazine and the rifle had a leica scope on top....so they have at least made one.

Pete, I´d vote for a 8x30 or 8x32 bino with RF that will WORK up to 1000 yds/m. under any conditions.. keeping weight low.

Some good ideas there gents, keep em coming..
the Leica scopes previously seen where manufactured by Leupold, the partnership didn't last very long as Leica weren't happy with the quality.
There are some definate gaps in what is already available.
Hopefully Leica will fill a few of them on recomendation of your guys suggestions,
Regards Pete

Hello Pete,

A few ideas for the LRF 1200,

Butler creek style flip up covers.

Spare batttery compartment.

I second the tripod fixing and mounting bracket requirments and add a bracket to fit to NV goggles.

Change the operating switch for a very light push operation
with safety catch.

New product idea:-

range finder that fits neatly on or around scope and projects the reading into the scope.Remote switch on stock.
Keep your favorite scope!

Cheers Jeza

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.