Leica Press Release - CRF-1600

Just got back from a Montana hunt with my 1600 and am quite disappointed! I have to call Leica to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what it would be. Quite often, I cannot range anything past 500 or 600 hungred yards unless I hold the button down for continuos ranging? On one occasion, I couldn't range anything past 100 yds? When I hold the button down, I can usually range out to 1300 yds or more. Anybody else had this problem? On the up side, I did shoot a 6x5 elk and a 4x4 mulie.......Rich

I am having the exact same problem! 500 or 600 yds max most of the time with a single button push. Ranging the exact same target in continuous mode it will regularly go out past 1200 yds. In ideal conditions I have ranged as far as 1900 yds. Can't do anything about it now since I need it for hunting season but I'll follow up with Leica or Cameraland (my retailer) about it afterwards.

Who knows, maybe it just works that way in Montana :rolleyes: (I'm in MT too)...

Let me know if you find out anything about the issue.

Somewhat Disapointed with My New- CRF-1600

Got my Leica CRF 1600 yesterday. The UPS man just left it at my gate and did not put it in my metal box at the end of my driveway. Glad it did not get stollen.

It looks great and ranges accuarately in my yard.

The directions are pretty small print and written in 14 different languages. It was sorta confusing and took many tries to get it programed the way I wanted for my rifle. Lots of Operator Error on my part. I don't like that it only allows for 100 and 200 yard base zeros. I thought from what i had heard it was custom programable with bullet weight, BC, and velocity. It is somewhat of a joke to have 12 different parameters. I eexpected it to accept data and run its own algorythm.

I can use my balistics program with my personal data, in an Excel spreadsheet and just use the range finder and get a more precise elevation, MOA, POA.

I feel like I got sold a better peice of equipment than I actually got. With my existent range finder and PDA I got as good or better information. I also was expecting ranging and MOA out beyond 500 yards. Maybe I am missing something.

Nat Lambeth

I don't think you are missing anything, I think we were all a little starry eyed and there was a little deception in the advertising. I decided that even though it doesn't do what many thought it would, it is still a compact unit with atmospheric and temp data which would be beneficial to have in the same unit. As I stated above, the problem with mine is, it won't range on the first button push and it looks like others are having the same problem. I called Leica yesterday and they told me to send it in. Problem is, I need it to hunt for the next month so I will probably hold off and use it on continual ranging mode. I will let everyone know how the repair or replacement works out.......Rich

I am having the exact same problem! 500 or 600 yds max most of the time with a single button push. Ranging the exact same target in continuous mode it will regularly go out past 1200 yds. In ideal conditions I have ranged as far as 1900 yds. Can't do anything about it now since I need it for hunting season but I'll follow up with Leica or Cameraland (my retailer) about it afterwards.

Who knows, maybe it just works that way in Montana :rolleyes: (I'm in MT too)...

Let me know if you find out anything about the issue.

Nope! Mine also works that way in Idaho:rolleyes:

Re: Leica CRF 1600

I just spoke to Hamilton Boykin 843 532-2472 the Leica Sports Optics Hunting rep. He is a very nice guy and spent a half hour talking with me about the Leica CRF 1600. Yes, the Bullet balistics program is limited to 500 yards.

Boykin did not say but reading between the lines, I'll bet Leica's next generation range finders will have a Key Pad, built in computer, with both a jack and memory card slot.

I look forwar to their next generation rangefinder.

Nat Lambeth

Just got the last one at my Cabela's (got demo discount too...:)) and they had 6 two days ago.
I have not had much time with it but, it hit 1570 on a tree down the blvd several times with no problem. At that distance the box looks pretty big, maybe 40x40ft. I don't see how you could know if you are picking up a big game animal with that kind of distance. Guess you can just use bigger targets and then adjust accordingly though a high power scope. The glass is amazing and I think it will range more than 99% of what people could ever hit. I have not figured out if the angle/distace is corrected or not. The instuctions are really vague.

Very happy with it so far. The extra Angle/Temp/Pressure(PSI) are nice too...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts