Leica Geovid-R 15x56 thoughts?

Kpknifemaker

Looking at getting a 15x56 binoc and wondering what you all think of the Leica Geovid-R? The range finder is of interest which sets it apart from the Zeiss and Swaro 15 x 56 binocs.

Thanks for your opinions. I did search for previous posts but didn't see any related.

If the rangefinder has a great meaning it's the only game in town, however, I think you'll find optically the Meopta Meostar and Swarovski SLC are superior

Thanks for the reply.

Well that is the rub and decision ‐ range finder or not. I have a good Zeiss rf, but 8x. So thinking an all in one on the 15x would facilitate a spotter. I should add this is primarily hunting use.

I was also looking at the Zeiss, being a Zeiss guy. I will look at the Meopta.

Great glass. Terrible warranty relative to the competition.

Well I pulled the trigger. Decided the RF was important enough to go with Leica. The glass is really nice. Got a good deal. Hoping I don't have to experience the warranty issue.

Thanks for input.

I've had mine for 3 seasons now (hunting Idaho primarily; elk, muleys and spring bear, with an Ak Sitka blackmail hunt to kick things off).
I had the same strategy as you (leave the rangefinder and spotter at home, my Leicas would do it all). I've been happy with them, for the most part. I occasionally have issues getting range readings when it's raining (my buddy's vortex RF spits readings out with no problem in same condition), so that is frustrating.
I have NOT sent them back to see if there's an issue with them (I don't want to lose them for 3-4 months).
For the intended purpose, I'm very happy with them. They don't quite replace a high quality RF and they don't quite cover the gap to a spotter... but for elk I'm shooting anything that's legal and for deer I'll shoot anything with a mature frame (so I'm not counting inches) - it's adequate for me. Make sure you use them on a tripod, free handing them is a fruitless strugglefest, but on a tripod they are gold.
We doubled the number of deer we spotted in the first season (hunting an area we've hunted every year for 8 years). The mountains were suddenly crawling with critters (consider that populations were much higher in the years preceding snowmageddon, and we STILL saw more deer than ever before). Sitting behind 15's on a tripod was truly a game changer for us.

I started a similar thread before buying mine. I'll admit, I was really just looking for confirmation. Read all the way through. I feel like I got solid advice from all.
In the end, I do feel like I made the right decision.
these 15's are about useless inside 500 yards as the field of view is too narrow. Fortunately I still have really good eyes and I can spot all of the easy critters in that range. In a few years when, inevitably, my eyes start to slip, I suspect that I'll be needing to switch to 10x Leica HD-Bs and dedicated spotter (but I'm going to hold out with current setup as long as possible).
see below.

I started a similar thread before buying mine. I'll admit, I was really just looking for confirmation. Read all the way through. I feel like I got solid advice from all.
In the end, I do feel like I made the right decision.
these 15's are about useless inside 500 yards as the field of view is too narrow. Fortunately I still have really good eyes and I can spot all of the easy critters in that range. In a few years when, inevitably, my eyes start to slip, I suspect that I'll be needing to switch to 10x Leica HD-Bs and dedicated spotter (but I'm going to hold out with current setup as long as possible).
see below.
Thanks for the comments. Maybe I was the same and needed convincing not to buy. The RF was the selling point plus an open box price.

We were out scouting antelope and I didn't like the setup time on my spotting scope.

Took them shooting today and satisfied they fit my needs. Will need many more days in the field, but feeling it was the right decision.

Good to hear yours have done well. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.