Leica geovid models

couesaddict

I'm currently working towards reducing the number of items I carry. I'm looking at a set of range finding 10's right now and am a bit confused on the new geovid models. They have the hd-b 2200 and the hd-r 2200 for significantly less. Best I can tell is the "r" model has less of the ballistic stuff in it. Any insight? I really don't need the ballistic software because I run shooter on my phone and plan to keep doing that so if all else is equal I'd probably save a few hundred and go with the r model. Just want to make sure first. Thanks in advance

You are correct regarding less ballistic in the R. I have the HD-B 2200. The glass is the same in both as I understand, and it is amazing. I got a smoking deal on mine or I would have bought the R model. The Ballistic have a few pre-set programs that you basically match the ballistic curve program to your ammo/firearm Or you can use a sim card and build your own. Then when your hit the ranging button it gives you the actual distance and then does a ballistic calculation with the ballistic curve, the temp and gives you a second readout of what you should dial into your scope or a couple other options. The R gives you the range of an object and then takes in account the angle and gives you a second reading that compensates for that angle. Long story short the B- program even though it is programmable in my opinion is OK at best. There are better options out there. However I would highly recommend the Leicas for their glass and range finding ability. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat if you can save a few dollars on the R that might be the way to go. Just my opinion

You are correct regarding less ballistic in the R. I have the HD-B 2200. The glass is the same in both as I understand, and it is amazing. I got a smoking deal on mine or I would have bought the R model. The Ballistic have a few pre-set programs that you basically match the ballistic curve program to your ammo/firearm Or you can use a sim card and build your own. Then when your hit the ranging button it gives you the actual distance and then does a ballistic calculation with the ballistic curve, the temp and gives you a second readout of what you should dial into your scope or a couple other options. The R gives you the range of an object and then takes in account the angle and gives you a second reading that compensates for that angle. Long story short the B- program even though it is programmable in my opinion is OK at best. There are better options out there. However I would highly recommend the Leicas for their glass and range finding ability. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat if you can save a few dollars on the R that might be the way to go. Just my opinion

Thank you. That was the info I was looking for. I have a hunting buddy that has the "b" model and I really like them. Just stumbled on the "r's" and got a little confused. The country I hunt has the opportunity to glass from a couple hundred yards out to several miles. I've found myself packing 10's around my neck, 15's, a spotting scope and a rangefinder. My plan is to get the Leica's and the swaro btx with a 95mm objective then selling off the rest. I figure the 10's can go on a tripod for the close stuff and the btx for everything else at 35 power then the 1.7 magnifier for picking it apart on trophy hunts. I can't stand looking through a spotting scope for long periods of time and I'm trying to cut down on how much stuff I pack around with me.

I think if you check the B probably have better glass and warranty then the R;s. The B's are made in Germany and the B's I believe Portugal. For the price difference it is more then just the ballistic soft ware. Either way both will be great range finding binos. In fact if I had to do it again would take them over my Ziess. The Zeiss glass is fine but the read out is hard to see sometimes.

I think if you check the B probably have better glass and warranty then the R;s. The B's are made in Germany and the B's I believe Portugal. For the price difference it is more then just the ballistic soft ware. Either way both will be great range finding binos. In fact if I had to do it again would take them over my Ziess. The Zeiss glass is fine but the read out is hard to see sometimes.
Even the new style R's? The old ones have a weaker rangefinder and a few less features but the new ones seem to be about the same. They're in the same "EL" type format as the B series. I have not read the country of origin for each yet though and am listening. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.