Leica Geovid HD VS Zeiss Victory RF

happylilcuss

I have searched the site and found all the comparisons of the monocular style rangefinders. However I didnt find a single comparison of the binocular style RF.
What would you recommend?
The price is about the same so that should not be an issue.

Next what would you recommend? the 10x56 or the 15x56 or the 8x42 or 10x42? I know there is only the one option for the zeiss but if you suggest the leica what would you prefer?

These will be used to range deer antelope and elk in nevada and oregon and I will be using them on the range out to 1300 yards.

Dont have any experience w/the Leica but I can tell you that the Zeiss is the REAL DEAL. I have friends that have the Vectronix PLRF 15 and don't use it b/c they like the Zeiss better. The laser in them is simply awesome. I'm sure the Leicas are good but I can tell you that you will not be dissapointed w/the Zeiss binos.

I have most of the available rangefinders, and the Zeiss RF's are the best by a mile in ranging capabilities. The Leica HD's are at least as good optically, maybe even just a tiny bit better, but the Zeiss RF's are still extremely good optically, and their rangefinder is the one! Better than the Swaro too. Ask anyone who's used them all and they'll all say the same thing. I've yet to hear anyone who's used both Zeiss and Swaro say the Swaro is better. My Swaro isn't a patch on my RF's.
Greg

+1 for the Zeiss...

but I haven't used the Leica HD in the field.

I was very impressed with the first-push ranging on the Zeiss, and the optical quality was excellent. With an 8x45, 8x56, 10x45, and 10x56 you have lots of options!

Call the Outdoorsmans, a sponsor of this site, at 800-291-8065 and be sure to also ask them about their binocular ring adapters for either the Zeiss or the Leica.

I have used the Geovids quite a bit and can tell you that they work farely well, but 1300 yards on animals isn't going to happen. I have been able to play with some other local shooters Zeiss rangefinding binoculars and I can tell you that these are the best rangefinder on the market that I have been able to play with. I was able to get first round ranges out to over 1400 yards on laying cow calves that weighed approx 300 pounds. I personally have the Zeiss monocular rangefinder and find it effective on animals and small bushes/yucca plants out to about 850, but ranges trees and large boulders out to around 1400 +/- a bit depending on conditions. My main hunting/shooting partner has the Swaro rangefinder and it is a little more effective than my Zeiss but not much better.

I have the Zeiss range finding Binoculars 10x45
Zeiss claim they are accurate +or- 1 yard
This is not correct --- they are spot on accurate up to 200 yards because I have measured it at 10 yard intervals

I can't confirm the exact accuracy at 1300 yards but it seems the +or- 1 yard is a worst case scenario
I find the binoculars far superior to monocular for finding the target.
Notwithstanding the above the Leica are accurate and very easy to carry.

Hi
I lasered a sambar hind with a set of RF Victories the other day in good conditions at 1438 yards. First ping.

You will find the range button a lttle easier to useon the Zeiss. I also like the eye cups better.

Both are good quality binos but the bridge laser location on the Geovid isnt quite as good as the Zeiss fully integrated device. Zeiss also make their own electronics and actually have theworlds best semiconductor abou t a month agao. Made in Germany not Portugal ..

As a hunter friendly binocular my vote goes to the Zeiss and I liked them that I much I bought the demo pair ! A lot easier ranging than with a monocular.

Better glass than my swaro slc's too
The Lotu tech coating is brilliant but Leica offer a aqua coating on the new models which I havent tried.

I also note Leica have upgraded the Geovid range to 1300 yards in the new models. Beam divergence in the Zeiss is class leading.

l

Hi there guys,

Any of the Zeiss Victory RF bino owners found the LED readout dim in bright sunlight. Just wondering if it is just my pair faulty or if they are all like that?

Rick :cool:

Hi there guys,

Any of the Zeiss Victory RF bino owners found the LED readout dim in bright sunlight. Just wondering if it is just my pair faulty or if they are all like that?

Rick :cool:

Mine are the same - have to switch to a dark area to confirm it is still working.
Also found they can switch on in your travel bag and drain the battery without you knowing it till you come to use them (keep a spare battery handy)
This apart they are great bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.