Leica Geovid HD-B help

cabinfever

Need help with Leica Geovid HD-B. I have entered the ballistic data on my micro sd card. and selected card under the ball selection. My question is will this give me the correct range in yardage or is the card only for MOA. I am using a yardage turret. Thank in advance for any help.

I just started playing with a pair of these setting it up for a friend. I really think they only out put data referencing conditions in moa, or click mode. If you have a yardage turret I could be wrong and someone will let me know. But there is nowhere to enter in the info for your turrets for the binos to reference your turret.

I as of right now am really upset that the binos do not allow the decimal form of moa correction such as 9.5moa. You either choose whole value or click. We are hunters make it simple. The program would not let me enter in the corrected scope height which I thought was odd.

But to answer your question I would say the best bet would be to know where your turret is good for and run your binos on hold mode. That way you get corrected shoot to. I would love other to chime in and say what I am doing wrong to fix these problems.

The unit will read in yards. if you have set up your binos correctly they will give you a correction value after your distance reading. That correction Value is displayed in either full minutes or # of 1/4 minute clicks. it is preceded by the letter C. Read the manual several time over and play with it a while. It took me close to an hour to read and set mine up. I can't comment on the corrected range feature. I have not set mine up to use that.

I use the shoot to distance because I have my data card readily available for hunting purposes. It works very well for my that way.

But then, I generally don't dial scopes in the hunting fields. I use my reticle for corrections. Much quicker and more accurate for me to do it that way. YMMV

I've been using my HD-B's, set up with the micro SD card, for dialing up with a NF scope in .25 moa. I made a small cheat sheet converting .25 moa "clicks" to moa. Example 53 clicks = 13.25 moa. I then took the small cheat sheet to a local Kinko's and using their lamination machine and the luggage size lamination plastic, laminated the cheat sheet. I grabbed two of the luggage tag holders and was able to attach the laminated cheat sheet to my HD-B's. I'll post pics soon.

I just completed a mule deer hunt yesterday with a 257 Rob that had a Leupold 2.5-8 that had the Boone & Crocket reticle. That reticle uses a 200 yd zero, 300, 400, 450 and 500 yd yardage crosshairs. After reading the HD-B's instruction manual, I figured out what to do. Made up a Micro SD card for the rifle. The HD-B's will automatically use the SD data when inserted. You then set up the Ballistic Output for the HD-B's to "EHR", Equivalent Horizontal Range. What will happen is when you range, the program will take over and taking into account the yardage, baro pressure, temp and up/down angle, gives you and "adjusted" yardage to hold for. Example. The straight line distance might be 450 yds BUT due to the weather, the HD-B's might give you a 428 yd distance a second after it displays 450 yds. You then dial for 428 yds instead.

Hope this is clear as mud!

Alan

I started to buy the LEICA HD-B. I decided to buy the 1600B. I am extremely disappointed in the ballistics. To put it simply they do not work! Now I was thinking about an upgrade to the HD-B until I read this. The bottom line is I could spend $3000 dollars and still have to have a luggage tag with a cheat sheet. LEICA I am done! There has to be a better way!

Here are my HD-B's with the aforementioned division 4 cheat sheet.

Geo,

I really held off on buying my HD-B's for several months. I too hated the drop output in clicks when the appropriate output should be in decimal form such as 13.25 moa instead of 53 clicks. When under the gun to get the shot set up and sent, my brain goes to mush and I need "simple stupid"! Along with that the fact that the online Ballistic Calculator, when used, only used G1, it really turned me off. One evening when I has some time, I sat down with their Ballistic Calculator and my Shooter program and played around. The difference between G1 and G7 at 1000 yds, the published max distance the HD-B will give drop, is (G7)233.7 vs 234.9 (G1) = 1.2". This with my 6.5x47 pushing a 142 Matrix VLD to 2917. When I realized this and figured out a division 4 chart would be a simple fix, I pulled the trigger and glad I did. I LOVE my HD-B's. I pulled off a much needed quick shot last week on a spike elk with just minutes of shooting light left and that on a cloudy evening. My HD-B's will actually give dope to 1008 even though the published info is 1000 yds. I ranged this guy at 1020, quickly set up the shot for 23.1 moa and simply added 2 extra clicks beyond the 1008 I also ranged for. By the time I'd made the shot, he'd, unknowingly, moved in to 950 and I shot over his back. Again, lased him and quickly dialed down 20.8 and killed him….with 4 minutes of legal light left.

I've gone through the original Bushnell LRF I bought back in the late '90's, then the Swaro, Leica 1600 and 1600B (which I still think are wonderful LRF's) and lately the Gunwerks G7 which is also a wonderful piece of tech engineering.

Alan

Need help with Leica Geovid HD-B. I have entered the ballistic data on my micro sd card. and selected card under the ball selection. My question is will this give me the correct range in yardage or is the card only for MOA. I am using a yardage turret. Thank in advance for any help.

Yes. It's how I use mine. Here are the settings from the user's manual.

US/EU = US
Ball = Card
Zero = 100, 200, 300 (You pick)
ABC = EHR

Range target at say ... 913 yards. It will display 913 and then display the EHR (Equivalent Horizontal Range) of say ... 874 yards. The EHR factors in angle, temperature, pressure and ballistics. Dial your turret to 874 yards for drop. Hold for the wind based on 913 yards. Breathe and press the trigger.

Bob

I've bought a set of the Geovid HDb's to use with my handload paired to a custom BDC turret that Gunwerks did for my .338Norma mag. Ammo, turret, scope and gun are all right on and I've double checked my data against Shooter App several times. The corrected shoot to distance & MOA readout from the Leicas are putting out a shorter distance / lower MOA than the shooter app and I'm hitting way low.

It is even more apparent it colder temps. I've noticed that the temp readout on the Leicas is several degrees off in cold temps like 40*-0* and after the Leicas have been in the truck or in my bino carrier on my chest it's giving a way higher temp reading taking hours to read the correct ambient temp, all major problems for any hunting/shooting situation.

I was wondering if anybody could offer any advice.

Yes, I agree, I have the 1600B range finder and have noticed it gives shorter ehr values than I can believe. Wish there was a way to configure it to disregard temp and altitude and only use angle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts