Leica Geovid BRF ?

I missed the "YDS" in Hunter's post there, thanks guys. I see that Lieca has it at 110 yards (330 ft.) and SWFA has it at 110 ft., obviously a misprint, thankfully.

110 ft. just made no sense anyway.

I see a pair in my future now, but can anyone explain how the twilight factor is higher with higher magnification, but exit pupil diameter goes down? I was thinking the twilight factor would also go up with exit pupil diameter on the 8x model, but doesn't seem so. It also mentions something about ranging being easier with the higher twilight factor too...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>LEICA GEOVID 10 x 42 BRF
With the higher magnification of this LEICA GEOVID BRF model, you get the added advantage of a high twilight factor.
So poor light conditions do not degrade this instrument's ability to provide detail-accurate distance measurement.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brent, the leica that Len has adjusts for the angle and gives you the horizontal distance. That's incredible!

But why is the Leica Locator only 7x bino's and this one is 8x or 10x?

John

That's a cool feature indeed. I wonder if it gives the actual angle itself along with the horizontal distance. I also wonder if it will give the straight line distance or the horizontal by selecting which you want before the reading is taken, or even afterward.

For me though, I'd like to get used to using the method Sierra advocates with the LOS distance rather than horizontal like the military teaches. It's a more accurate method when it's needed, but 80% of LR shots would still be at rather gradual incline/decline angles and shorter ranges I'd think, so either method is probably accurate enough most of the time.

Len's unit and the Riegl unit are the best out there I believe, both about $6500 though.

This is Riegl's LR model here

FG21 - LR

Brent

In the horizontal mode my Leica Laser Locator Plus gives the horizontal distance and the vertical distance at the same time. Does not tell the up/down angle. (Nice for telling your partner "we only have to gain 1,965 feet of vertical in the next 35 minutes and he is all ours!"

The other common mode (and the only one that is used my most other rangefinders) is slope distance.

It also has an azimuth mode which tells the bearing angle. Kind of nice if you want to tell your partner "the monster mulie is bedded down in the bushes at 867 yards and 243 degrees."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> (Nice for telling your partner "we only have to gain 1,965 feet of vertical in the next 35 minutes and he is all ours!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty cool, I had no idea it gave the vertical distance as well.

If you've used the azimuth much yet, does it seem critical that the rangefinder be very level to be accurate like most of the electronic ones have been said to be? My GPS doesn't have one, so I've no experience with them. It is a pain to have to move in order to get a bearing, but it is accurate when you do.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.