Leica ERI, Night Force SHV, Z5, Bushnell LRHS

Rhunter2

I am looking to get a scope that can be used for both coyote hunting and big game hunting, as in elk. It wont make the trip out west often and will likely sit on my AR most of the time. The big game rifle is an MRC X2 in a 7 rem mag and the AR is a DTech 223. I was originally looking at putting a Nightforce F1 on the gun until I looked at the weight. My 7MM already weighs just over 7.5lbs with out a scope. The AR is about the same. I like the idea of a lit reticle due to coyote hunting at night. I like the idea of field adjustable turrets as well. The ERI in a 2-10 with the IBS/BDC can be purchased right now for about 45% off due to discontinuing that model. All reviews I have seen a positive and it has an illuminated dot (not sure how big). I think the leica would offer the best package for what I am looking for but would like input. I own a bushnell 4200 and it is great but i am not sure how I feel about over a $1K for a bushnell. This will be at least double the cost of my next best scope. Input appreciated.

From my experience I would not buy a Leica or a Swarovski. Their glass is not as good as my Bushnell or Nightforce. The z5 went back to the shop twice in two years. Both times the note in the return package said the erector was replaced. The Leica was terrible in low light.

I am looking to get a scope that can be used for both coyote hunting and big game hunting, as in elk. It wont make the trip out west often and will likely sit on my AR most of the time. The big game rifle is an MRC X2 in a 7 rem mag and the AR is a DTech 223. I was originally looking at putting a Nightforce F1 on the gun until I looked at the weight. My 7MM already weighs just over 7.5lbs with out a scope. The AR is about the same. I like the idea of a lit reticle due to coyote hunting at night. I like the idea of field adjustable turrets as well. The ERI in a 2-10 with the IBS/BDC can be purchased right now for about 45% off due to discontinuing that model. All reviews I have seen a positive and it has an illuminated dot (not sure how big). I think the leica would offer the best package for what I am looking for but would like input. I own a bushnell 4200 and it is great but i am not sure how I feel about over a $1K for a bushnell. This will be at least double the cost of my next best scope. Input appreciated.

I have a 3-12 LRHS and a 4.5-18 LRTSi. The LRTS is the same as the LRHS except it has a locking windage turret as opposed to capped and has no "donut of death" in the reticle. They are both superb. They track accurately, return to zero reliably, and the glass is well above their price point. I don't think you'll find a better scope in their price range.

John

I have a 3-12 LRHS and a 4.5-18 LRTSi. The LRTS is the same as the LRHS except it has a locking windage turret as opposed to capped and has no "donut of death" in the reticle. They are both superb. They track accurately, return to zero reliably, and the glass is well above their price point. I don't think you'll find a better scope in their price range.

John
That's amazing information! Seriously looking into the LRHS and LRTS!

Hey hondo. If you ever get a chance could you update here with a photo of the reticle at full and lowest mag at longer range on a target. I really want one of these scopes in the future and no one around here (alberta) has them in stock as far as i can find. Id like to see some reticle photos to judge thickness.

Thanks in advance if you can, and no worries if you cant.

Thanks, ive seen this video i was just hoping to have the 18x on a scaled target to see how the reticle looks. I hear it doesnt appear to thick but when you are used to sfp scopes it will take some getting used too. Im using my first ffp scope now (vortex pst 6-24, its a ***) and im getting used to that reticle fine but the bushnell is thicker than that.

I would look into the VX-5HD line, same superb glass as the VX-6, zero stop, and illuminated. If you shop around you can find the 3-15x for a little over $800.
Imact 23 reticle is nice, use it at 7.5x and double the values in the reticle

For the money if you can get an LRHS around 800-900$ and you're needing FFP Mil/Mil it's a phenomenal scope. Clicks are really really positive, clarity is up there with scopes well above it's price range. It's not without fault the lowlight performance wont be up there with say an ATACR and the smaller objective isn't helping out at that point. Eyebox is a little tight at max mag on the 4.5-18 version. I got mine at 806$ new though and ended up selling it above that to get an HDMR II for 1150$. For the price it's a solid optic.

If you could stretch it a bit further i really like my Dad's Zeiss V6 Conquest 3-18x50. He got his for 1400$ or so on black friday. Resolution seems a bit behind my HDMR II but edge to edge clarity, CA control, eyebox, and everything else are in it's favor. It's of course MOA/MOA and SFP. It is very very light at 22oz which i like a lot.

Can't comment on the SHV i haven't used one. Out of those listed Leica and Swaro obviously carry prowess with their glass though i'm not that familiar with Leica's scopes and Swaro makes a quality optic bar none be it their step sister Kahles or their scopes.

Swarovski glass is way over rated. I owned four z5 5-25X52 and none had glass as good as the three Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. A range friend brought over two of his Swarovskis: z6 5-30X50 and a z8i 2.8-18X56. Both the owner and I agreed the glass in the Bushnell was better than the z6. He said, "I always thought that one wasn't very good." As far as the z8i, it was in a class above the others.

Truthfully i don't have that much experience with Swaro, having said that Kahles is in no way overrated.

And as much as i love my Bushnells they've all been lacking in some areas compared to top tier optics under 3000$ like USO, Vortex Gen II Razor, ATACR, and Kahles. There has been one Bushnell that has come close to those mentioned above at first glance but i've not had extended time with it, and it's the new XRS II. Other than that particular scope, my ERS, LRHS, or HDMR II hasn't come close to matching those overall and they shouldn't considering the price difference. For the money they have solid features and glass but i wouldn't consider it premium like my SN-3 by any means. Of course these are scopes for a different purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.