Leica er scope comparison

PainterJohn

I am interested in hearing from anyone using any of these new scopes.

I have a leica crf1200 and it works amazingly well.

With the allowance for used scopes, the price is somewhat easier to digest. I would like to hear from those who have actually bought or compared them to other manufacturers.

Are they a good value?

I think the Leica scopes are actually being produced by Meopta. I was advised by a reliable source but haven't independently verified. If true, the Meopta scopes are very good quality and optically excellent. The Meoptas however, I believe are considerably less expensive than the Leica versions.

I too own a Leica CRF and love it. I would however, not pay the price they want for their scopes. Even with the trade-in discount, I think you can do better. Just one man's opinion.

this is the first I have heard of Meopta maufacturing for Leica?? I own a Meopta Meostar 3-10x50 that is great and cost around $575. I thought it was a great value and crystal clear when I bought it. I will do some digging on this..........

Now to really confuse the issue, I was told also that the Zeiss conquest glass is also Meopta. I have heard from several folks on several forums that there are only a small number of glass manufacturers around the world and that most scopes from various manufacturers all use the same glass. Of course, the glass is only one part of the equation. The Leica's however, I am told are actually built by Meopta. Would be interesting to know what you find out.

If we have any RELIABLE source that has a track record around this forum on optics, I believe it may be Doug at CameralandNY. I have been a prior customer and the fact is he always seems to have good info and IMO, the best prices going. Just got off the phone with him and he says that the Meopta/Leica thing is absolutely false. I am looking for a nice scope for a 243 and own a Leica CRF 1200 that by my reviews have probably accounted for selling 1000 more.......literally! I am extremely happy with the CRF and am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Leica ER scope. I also talked to Bear Basin and they also said "false" on the issue. Bear Basin puts the Leica in the Swaro Z6 class and the high end Zeiss, top 3. Doug says the Leica is the first scope he has looked through with the WOW factor as he describes it, bar none. He has given me good advice in the past and has me really trying to figure out how I am going to afford the new Leica. It's like driving a Cadillac, once you do, others pale in comparison. I just see this xbolt combo being the most used of my inventory.........in my advancing age (47) it is getting to be about quality not quantity and I have been cleaning out a bit in that regard!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I have defer to those that are more knowledgable on such matters.

I actually have owned the Swaro, Schmidt Bender, Zeiss and Kahles scopes as well as the Leica CRFs and the Meopta spotting scopes. I am using Premier Reticles scopes right now but they are physically HUGE. At some point the differences in optical quality are so minute that only the reticle selections are the determining factors for me.

I am awaiting the Premier Reticles 3x15x50 (30mm tube) hunting scope which is destined for debut at the Shot Show this January. It will have the same quality of glass as the larger models as well as illuminated reticles for about half the cost of the Heritage version (which I currently use) and it will be significantly smaller and lighter.

Haven't actually looked through a Leica scope but assume its quality glass too.

Interested to see how you like it.

Take care. Havingfun

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.