Leica crf 1600 here! (short review)

Just to clear up a couple of misconceptions...

1. Re: using pressure and altitude in a ballistics app. If you have uncorrected station pressure then you always keep altitude at zero. If the pressure has been corrected (to what it would be at sea level - typically what you get in a forecast) then you have to enter the altitude so the app can undo the correction. In other words, it needs to know what the real pressure was at that altitude.
  2. You can't expect good results if you multiply the range by the cosine. That's what's known as the Rifleman's Rule. Use the Improved Rifleman's Rule, which multiplies the drop by the cosine, e.g. if you have a drop of 17.1 MOA @ 600 yards and are on a 40 deg. slope, multiply 17.1 * .77 (COS 40) = 13 MOA. It won't be as good as a ballistics calc, but will be much closer.
As for the Leica CRF 1600, I can't say I'm ready to give up my Swaro for one. The ballistics features are half-baked. I could see a use for temperature, pressure and incline readings, but temperature doesn't play a huge role in ballistics calculations. How hard is it anyway to estimate it within 10-20 degrees? Pressure varies but not by a large amount. Also, I always carry a GPS and can get it from that. Incline? Yes, it can be hard to judge but I can either eyeball it within reason (having done surveying it might be easier for me) or if I'm carrying my handheld, let it calculate the angle for me by simply aiming it at the target.

Just to clear up a couple of misconceptions...

As for the Leica CRF 1600, I can't say I'm ready to give up my Swaro for one.

I think some of the Leica CRF 1600s perform similar to the Swaro. But the one I purchased didn't, so I sent it back for a refund. Here's my Field Test Report Thread:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...er-guide-vs-leica-crf-1600-rangemaster-73650/

Not trying to pick a fight, but atmospheric pressure and temperature are both important to ballistic predictions, and vary significantly when hunting in the mountains. Same with the angle of the shot for long range shots in the mountains. I've engaged game at angles up to 30 degrees and at long range, you'll never connect if you don't know the angle of inclination of your shot.

Anyhow, my CRF 1600 unit didn't measure up to the capabilities that some of the CRF 1600s perform. So I sent it back and will continue on with my Swaro, for the time being.

Well i got one about month and a half ago to take on a hunt out in west texas. I was gone for over two weeks. my new leica 1600 wouldn't range over 850-900 on a mountain side. when i got back it was over the return policy from where i got it. so i sent it back to leica. Just got the new one this week and finally took it out yesterday and guess what. IT SUCKS TO!!!!!!!!!!!
i tried ranging a oil tank at about 1000 maybe and it never range it not once grass trees houses 500-600 no problem. So now what do i do I'm getting really tried of spending money to send this high dollar junk back.

Well i got one about month and a half ago to take on a hunt out in west texas. I was gone for over two weeks. my new leica 1600 wouldn't range over 850-900 on a mountain side. when i got back it was over the return policy from where i got it. so i sent it back to leica. Just got the new one this week and finally took it out yesterday and guess what. IT SUCKS TO!!!!!!!!!!!
i tried ranging a oil tank at about 1000 maybe and it never range it not once grass trees houses 500-600 no problem. So now what do i do I'm getting really tried of spending money to send this high dollar junk back.

Jeff...I had some issues, as well, last fall but finally got one the third try that will range out to 1800 yds. It seems to be fine but I do understand your frustration!.......Rich

Last edited:

I know the feeling. It seems like a fella needs to be able to test out the ranging capability of some units side-by-side prior to purchasing the one that's the creme of the crop. But that's not possible with any internet sale, or many hard-based retail stores.

Dang that's a bummer. I guess I got lucky because the dealer I bought mine from let them be compared to each other so mine was hand picked. I'd admit though I had a zeiss prf and I held it better because I have very large hands. I have found myself actually missing the zeiss... Their both excellent rangefinders.

I just bught a swarovski 1600 because My lica 1200 was having difficulty targeting 650+ on black targets and couldn't get coyotes at 400 yds in some difficult conditions. from my testing the swarovsky does better than the lica 1200. but it is a little like comparing apples and oranges as the swarovsky is more powerfull. It would be nice to compare the lica1600 and the swarovski. I prefer to carry the lica but wont the range of the swarovski. anybody compared the two yet. if it will preform like the swarovski I would upgrade my 1200 to a 1600.

I just bught a swarovski 1600 because My lica 1200 was having difficulty targeting 650+ on black targets and couldn't get coyotes at 400 yds in some difficult conditions. from my testing the swarovsky does better than the lica 1200. but it is a little like comparing apples and oranges as the swarovsky is more powerfull. It would be nice to compare the lica1600 and the swarovski. I prefer to carry the lica but wont the range of the swarovski. anybody compared the two yet. if it will preform like the swarovski I would upgrade my 1200 to a 1600.

I was able to reach 2000 yds occasionally with my old Swaro and can get close to that with my (3rd try Leica 1600). I think the difference is, you are much more apt to get a good Swaro every time!....Rich

It would be nice to compare the lica1600 and the swarovski. I prefer to carry the lica but wont the range of the swarovski. anybody compared the two yet? if it will preform like the swarovski I would upgrade my 1200 to a 1600.

Yes. See the link provided in my Post #72, five posts prior to yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.