Leica binocular range finder comparison

drpbroun5

I'm interested in buying some range finding binoculars. A friend highly recommended the old style Leica Geovids. Another said that these are not repairable and that the new style Leica is as good or better in quality. I want some glass that will be reliable out to 1200 yards if possible. Please compare the two Geovids as well as any other that you guys use in hunting. Thanks.
Paul

I guide elk, deer and antelope hunters here in Wyoming every fall for 2 1/2 months.

I have had 3 different hunters with these range finder binos of Leicas. All 3 have failed to range in certain conditions. the biggest one being snow and rain. They will not accuire the target.

I have Leica CRF 1200 and it ranged when theirs failed.... don't ask me why, just telling you what happened. I was real keen on getting a pair for guiding until I saw how they performed... I guess I'll stick to packing two things around instead of one....

Good luck in your decision, just a little insight from Wyoming...

I haven't used them, but since not many have jumped in with info, I'll give you what I have:

The "old" Geovid has smaller beam divergence than the new. In every case I've seen where people have tried both, they found the old ones generally better at rangefinding--especially on smaller targets. Of course the new ones are easier to find, more compact in some models and reportedly have brilliant glass.

Like I said, those are only my impressions from reading reviews and studying the specs. I wouldn't mention it at all but you weren't getting much other info. Hope it helps.

I have a pair of Leica 7x42mm Vector 1000s and another pair of 7x42mm Geovids. The Vectors are better built - they were made in Switzerland while the Geovids were made at the Leica plant in Portugal. I prefer the 7x magnification as it gives me a wide field of view for hunting while still enough to spot prairie dogs as far as 1kyd.

The main advantage of the older Leica BRFs is the smaller spot size of the laser beam. The Vectors have a mil dot reticle in one monocular that is used to point the laser beam, while the Geovids have a small square formed by LEDs. I prefer the reticle as it's always visible and can be used for height finding too.

I cannot give you any anecdotes about use in snow and rain. I did read that BRFs also fail in high heat (mirage?) and dust. I think there was an article in Varmint Hunter about Geovids in the past 6 months or so, so check it out.

BTW, I love mine.

Since you have heard much about the old style, I'll tell you that I really like my new ones. I have the 10X42 Geovids and the glass is the best I've ever looked through. I have ranged cows at 1100 yards and a bare tree limb at 969 yards. Both days were very clear and bright. I haven't had them out on the plains yet, I live in TN and we have lots of forests instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.