Leica 2000-b Rangefinder

BB, I think the battery issues arise from guys getting all giddy with the fast scan mode. Every one of those rapid fire readings requires power for the laser beam, which drains the battery faster. Just stay away from that. Happy hunting and be safe to you too.

Like I said I had to lighten up the equipment to hike back toward a point of a mountain here in PA and shoot across a hollow to the next mountain side. Most shooting will be about 435 to 600 yards, but looking out the mouth of the hollow there is a point of another mountain that runs from the bottom 800 + yards to just about 1000. That's why I bought what I did, I think it will serve me well I wish it came with a dragger for me. Normally I would drive close to a place that I could set up my 308 Norma mag. , military range finder, 10 X 80 flack glasses, 20X80 Stieners and 25X 100 Celestron binoculars. The 308 Norma was built by Douglas and is a real good shooter. It was sighted in out to 1550 yards. that's when I'm out of clicks but it still kicks up a lot of dirt at that range. From 1500 to 1550 it drops 6 feet in 50 yards so it is pretty much done at that distance. It can hit leaves laying on the snow easily at 1300 yards, it is a keeper for sure. Oh the scope is a variable X 3 -- 6-20 with fine cross hair and a dot. Good hunting and be safe.

BB I don't know what Lieca you looked at or lifted but the hand held unit only weighs ounces and will fit in a shirt pocket. My old 800lrf never saw a pocket sat out in minus 20C or 0 farenhiet without a hickup. How could you call the Lieca a Mack truck it is probably about the same size as the Sig. As I mentioned before my friend uses his 1600 as his bino's I don't think you would do that with the Sig's. He has also ranged coulee banks at 1800yds with his 1600 I don't think Sig's will pull that off. For the price difference the Lica's are a much better range finder in every way and probably in the first need for them optic quality. As some one else said here you have to see the object to range it. As I said before Sig is still very new at this game Lieca already has 20 plus year experience that alone would give me the nod toward them. They have their bugs ironed out Sig is just starting to find theirs.

I wasn't referring to its size, but cost difference between a pickup and a Mack truck. And again I am going by another shooters comparison of a Leica and the sig who could not believe how well the sig worked compared to the Leica. I'm sure that they used the best technology gathered from Leica and others to put into the sigs. Sig Saur has already made great strides in their newest range finders to make them better than the competitors. I think that all Sig Saur products are good , they have been around a while now, but have only been in the range finder market the least amount of time. I have not seen the newest Leicas but the ones I remember looked similar to the Bushnell 1000 yard range finders 6 x 7 inch or something along that order. Good luck hunting and be safe.

In 1853 a Swiss wagon factory entered the competition to develop a state of the art rifle with the hopes the Swiss army would adopt it. In 1864 the award went to the Swiss wagon factory for its Prelaz - Burnand rifle with an order for 30,000 rifles they changed the name of the company to Schweizerische Industrie - Gesellschaft known worldwide as SIG. Fast forward to 1949 the SIG P49 was developed for the Swiss army and became a legend on the battlefield as well as the competition field. That same year the P220 made its appearance as the new pistol for the army , soon followed by the compact P230 for the Swiss police. These pistols offered new features and levels of reliability never before seen in the industry. In 1970 they expanded to include J.P. Sauer & Son of West Germany, known for their hunting rifles. In 1980 SIG set their sights on America, 1985 marked the date of Sigarms, Inc. In 2001 Sigarms, Inc continued to expand its role in the firearms market. On October 1, 2007 they changed their name to Sig Sauer. In response to world demand for their products Sig invested 18 million dollars in state of the art manufacturing facilities and equipment. In 2014 Sig Sauer moved to its new production facility to Newington NH... It would appear that Sig can make a very good product at their first try. I think making things happen for 164 years might have a little to do with it they have been around a long time. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I a only going by the prices people are posting here and the Sig and Leica are only maybe 100 dollars apart in price. I know Sig has hired some well known optics companies high ups but they are mostly from the Japanese companies. As of yet it is hard to compare Japanese optics to German and Austrian optics. As I said before my Leica range finder 20 plus years old is actually easier to read then my Zeiss bino model. I am not cutting down Sig but for the difference in price our poster is getting a better deal with the Leica model.
Your story about the Sig Sauer company shows a long history. In fact it matches most of todays well known firearms companies. Many of those companies have tried to expand to optics and failed if it works they buy out a well known optics company. When they do this they leave the two companies seperate and carry on. Maybe Sig will be different but who knows. Maybe their optics will become world class but they are not yet and Leica is. That is why I would recomend the Leica for the difference in price.

Ranged a buck two days ago @ 1454 with my leica 2000 model Rangfinder. maybe I got lucky maybe not. The glass is the best I have used to date.

I would go leica. I have used the Sigs and leicas now. Sig is nice. its just not a Leica.

I understand that a lot of things are on sale now that were not in march or April, so I went with what I thought I could afford at the time and only with one that would read the ranges that I wanted it to. I already had a Bushnell 1000 but it was hard to get past 4 or 5 hundred yards with it and when the sun came out and it got bright out I was hard pressed to get 300 yards out of it , and it was no way as fast as the sig. Many times I would have to keep pushing the button many times to get a reading. In one of the forums I read where a guy wasn't getting the reading with his Sig that it said it should get , a model 2000 so he sent it back to the company and they replaced it with a 2200 model, I would say that was a hell of a good company. When I long range hunt it is from mountain to mountain and I set up the military range finder that resembles a Bazooka , it ranges to I think 20,000 yards. I don't try to range the animal I range that general area, the ground, a pine tree works real well. I may put the deer in the sigs circle but it may be reading the ground but the yardage is good, put the clicks on the gun and fire in the hole!. and as far as many of your scopes even big names and those claiming to be made in the USA use Japan glass in their scopes. I probably would have even been ok with the Sig 1500 model I think for what I want it for, now I'm not saying my 2000 is better than the Leicas you fellows have and I'm not calling anyone a liar but it works a lot better than my old Bushnell, and it does everything I bought it for and more , I am very happy with it so far and it usually gives me some surprising ranges every time I play with it , I haven't hunted with it yet but I have scouted a couple places I will walk into and shoot across places I would not be able to carry the military finder into I cant get it into my pockets. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I agree with you Bushnell does not belong in the class of these 2 range finders. Many other companies range finders do not either. I know my Leica and my friends easily ranged their advertised distance and farther. I am just trying to say that at this point in time I would likely pay 2 to 3 hundred more for the Leica with its abilities I have witnessed. The quality glass is part of their totaal package that makes them so hard to beat.
I am not trying to be ignorant to you BB as you bring up many good points. I would encourage you to find a friend with a Leica and try it out you to will be truly impressed at what it can do. Many things between it and the Sig may be the same but the glass alone will set it apart. The unbelievable ranges you get will just be a bomus.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.