Leica 1600b inaccurate?

Sorry to be hearing about the Leica problems, I would contact the company and explain everything to them. They should be able to help you or maybe even replace it with an upgraded finder. Good luck hunting and be safe.

OK, about 8000'+ in Colorado has a Station Pressure of 22.525 in., not 30.06 in. (Walden Colorado).
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BOU&product=OSO&issuedby=BOU
Try plugging those numbers into JBM and see if it jives with what your actually shooting. Remember to disable (no checkmarks) the two boxes at the bottom (Standard Atmosphere at Alt & Pressure is Corrected).

In the off chance it does get you close, you don't need a new range finder. You need a device that measures real Pressure.

I have a old Leica 1600. It does not give a ballistic solution. Does yours or are you using JBM for your dope?

Last edited:
OK, about 8000'+ in Colorado has a Station Pressure of 22.525 in., not 30.06 in. (Walden Colorado).
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BOU&product=OSO&issuedby=BOU
Try plugging those numbers into JBM and see if it jives with what your actually shooting. Remember to disable (no checkmarks) the two boxes at the bottom (Standard Atmosphere at Alt & Pressure is Corrected).

In the off chance it does get you close, you don't need a new range finder. You need a device that measures real Pressure.

I have a old Leica 1600. It does not give a ballistic solution. Does yours or are you using JBM for your dope?

Mike,

Here is how I got the two seperate dopes that I used and compared to eachother both in terms of numbers and actual shooting performance. BTW, I am back home now, so I can't go out and check it now that I am home in Texas.

For dope 1: I used JBM, input 8000 feet as well as a pressure and checked 'pressure is corrected'. The pressure I pulled from local weather sources for where we were. Temp set to 50 degrees, humidity 25%. For distance, Sig kilo angle corrected distance. This dope worked out fine to 1k plus.

To compare, I tried my Leica, using EHR. Dope from JBM...set to Leica's standard conditions....0 for elevation, 29.92 pressure, temp at 68 degrees, humidity 50%. Tried pressure corrected on and off...as I remember, it was the same. I ranged, got the EHR, then checked it against this JBM dope. It was accurate to around 600 IIRC, but then started to diverge from the previous dope as it stretched out to the max where it would give EHR. At that distance (875), it was almost exactly 1 MOA lower than what dope 1 called for, and shooting showed dope 1 to be correct.

I actually used to know a Leica rep, Hamilton IIRC, and still may have his contact info. Might give him a call. But what I know is that the Leica EITHER gives you an uncorrected distance, or if you opt for EHR, you get the uncorrected followed by one corrected for angle, pressure and temp, and for this, you have to choose one of their generic curves. Problem is, my temp is almost always too high, pressure seemed about right...angle...I assume so....but the curve is definitely off. #3 is too flat, and #4 is not flat enough. So the RF is using presumably correct angle and pressure, but inaccurate temp and inaccurate curve. That is my guess as to why it is correct close, but not far.....the inaccuracies start to add up.

But I think I will reach out to Hamilton and see what he can tell me.

In reference to the recommendation for the 2400, my 1600b is old, it will never get me near what a .2400 will cost me. If it would, I would have gone that route, as it seems amazingly cool. But 1300 plus is just too much for me, I am not in that tax bracket.

Even if I cannot get the Leica to do what I want, ultimately, I will probably still use it. I'll just take the raw distance and the raw angle and input them into the kestrel for my shooting solution.

The only other option, and it would be nice if it worked, would be the CONX...which would be faster...no need to enter anything, just let them do the talking and then shoot the solution that displays in the CONX.

I can get the CONX for 300 right now, but if I read it correctly....it is super slow in ranging, it's really bulky, I don't know if it will range to what I am used to with the Leica, and I am spoiled by the Leica glass. But I have not even seen one in person, so if anyone has one and has tried it, I'm all ears.

If that does not work out, then I'll just manually enter those two data points from the Leica and stick with it. Because it really works great otherwise. Glass is awesome....and I easily range trees and bushes at well over 1600, so that's pretty cool. And it fits so nicely in my AGC rig, hate to go with something as bulky as the CONX appears to be.

Again, just want to thank all for the responses. Sounds like there are at least two more people who have the exact same experience I do with the 1600b. If I find something out from Leica that will help, I'll post it for sure.

Last edited:
In reference to the recommendation for the 2400, my 1600b is old, it will never get me near what a .2400 will cost me.

I meant Kilo 2200 not a 2400 sorry. So, if you get a Kestrel, I would sell the Lica and get a Kilo 2200. Then all you have to enter into the Kestrel would be the Kilo's EHR

To compare, I tried my Leica, using EHR. Dope from JBM...set to Leica's standard conditions....0 for elevation, 29.92 pressure, temp at 68 degrees, humidity 50%. Tried pressure corrected on and off

Will leave this to Mike, but this doesn't make sense to me. This is basically sea level pressure not pressure at 8000 ft. You seem to be trying to many different variables at once. You really need to get things setup where you are only using "station pressure" nothing else, not elevation, no corrected pressure, nothing. Just the station pressure provided by the Lica.

I meant Kilo 2200 not a 2400 sorry. So, if you get a Kestrel, I would sell the Lica and get a Kilo 2200. Then all you have to enter into the Kestrel would be the Kilo's EHR

Will leave this to Mike, but this doesn't make sense to me. This is basically sea level pressure not pressure at 8000 ft. You seem to be trying to many different variables at once. You really need to get things setup where you are only using "station pressure" nothing else, not elevation, no corrected pressure, nothing. Just the station pressure provided by the Lica.

Ahh, yeah, gotcha on the 2200. Was actually looking at these at Cabelas today. May keep and eye out for a sale, but even so, it would only save me 1 variable to enter, so not sure.

On the pressure stuff for the second dope...the first dope is the actual conditions as they were where i was.

The second 'Leica dope' is to work within Leica's system, as it was explained to me by Harrison. Essentially, your dope is always based on those sea level conditions (except they use 68 degrees instead of 58 that some systems use). Your dope, or custom turret or whatever, is supposed to always be for those conditions. What the RF is supposed to do is then look at the actual conditions, and output a distance (EHR) that essentially corrects for the difference between the standard conditions dope and actual conditions.

If it works properly, you only ever need dope for one set of conditions, and a 'distance based' custom turret would work great. The RF does all the corrections and translates it to the standard conditions so you never have to worry that elevation has changed, temp, etc....the RF takes care of it for you and just tells a 'corrected' distance for you to dial to.

Problem is, it all has to work, and I don't think it is very effective when the curves they use are canned. In addition, I just checked my RF against two thermometers, which both agree, and the RF is sitting here in the same room is runs about 10% high.

They appear to have fixed the generic curve issue on the new 2700, but still limit the EHR numbers to shots under 1200ish yards.

Since we are are already shooting beyond that, if I were to get another RF, it would need to be a sig or the Conex.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.