Leica 1600b inaccuracy problem

catorres1

I bought a Leica this fall and in checking the temperature and pressure, I find they have been pretty inaccurate. The pressure seems to read low and the temperature generally reads high by 10 degrees or more.

Is this just the nature of the beast or something I should look into with Leica?

Thanks!

I bought a Leica this fall and in checking the temperature and pressure, I find they have been pretty inaccurate. The pressure seems to read low and the temperature generally reads high by 10 degrees or more.

Is this just the nature of the beast or something I should look into with Leica?

Thanks!

Not good - I'd get with Leica but hope you have better experience with their warranty Dept. than my 2 experiences with them. Plan on not having your range finder for a "long time" when you send it in.

That definitely does not sound good. I usto have the information for the US rep, he posted on several boards. I talked with him on the phone in the past, might be good to ring him up.

My experience with the unit is:

1: Comparing the Leica's pressure to "actual" pressure is the trick. The larger trick is to determine what the heck is the actual barometric pressure.

I use this: Above Sea Level Barometer Reading Correction Calculator

My feelings are that if the Leica is consistently a bit off, and it is the same "bit" off consistently it makes no difference in shot results. At least for only as good as I can shoot. :roll eyes:

2: The temperature sensor is buried somewhere deep inside of the unit. Thus it has to be exposed to atmospheric conditions for quite a long time to reach ambient conditions.

I carry mine around my neck and under at least one layer of clothing. Thus it never reads or read correct temperature.

I now use a Kilo 2000 which has neither temp or baro thus a good quality handheld weather station is in order.

You may wish to do some ballistic calculations then vary pressure and temperature slightly and not the affect on point of impact. Should help settle your concern.

HTH.

Roy,

Thanks for that, I tried the calculator, it's still off by quite a bit. As far as the temp goes, I wondered the same thing, but I checked in here in my stable temp house, and it's off by quite a bit...probably 10 degrees, same as I have generally observed elsewhere. So I'll call Harrison and see what he says and see if he can help the process along if it needs fixed.

How is the Kilo btw. I bought my Leica after waiting for something like a year or two saving up. A month or two later, I hear about the Kilo. I try to tell myself that the pressure and temp option will make it better for me in the end, but I suspect I am just trying to sooth buyers remorse.

Best I have gotten off trees with my Leica is a about 1670. I understand the Kilo can go much farther? For less money.....with a better warranty.....

No, I'm not bitter...;)

Non-reflective capability of the Kilo 2000 is stated as 1500 yards. Reflective is 3400 stated yards. Since the deer and elk I hunt don't wear hi-vis reflective vests, I'd go with the non-reflective range.

I can usually get 1800+ from my Leica 1600B on trees and rocks and occasionally elk. Deer at a mile are kind of small, so I usually range a tree they are next to.

My temps are just a bit off too, maybe 5° or so. I haven't checked my baro next to a weather station, but are usually fairly close to station pressure, but vary with weather conditions in the area. Always been good enough to make hits out to 1770 though. Wind is usually my enemy at that range, not so much my drops from a ballistic program when I input the data my 1600B gives me.

Do what it takes to resolve your issues.

Confidence is a super important consideration when LA shooting.
This can't be stated enough.

If you aren't confident when you pull the trigger the odds of success start going down dramatically.

I've only missed a handful of shots in my life when "the shot felt good" and a whole lot when it didn't.

It all adds up and confidence is a biggie.

Whenever you get through the customer service/warranty please let us know how it turns out. There has been some debate on the Kilo 2000 thread in the optics section about the warranty between the two.

What are you comparing it to? The only truely accurate pressure sensor I have is my calibrate Kestrel, my home one is of by quite a little, I only trust my Kestrel. I've tested my Leica against my Kestrel by actually shooting in the field using the numbers and the Leica was adequate for long range shooting but does not replace a Kestrel mainly because you have to hold to use, even a Kestrel you have to watch that you don't warm them up. I've ranged many elk to 1900+ yards and unlike many range finders when it gives me a range its accurate!

What are you comparing it to? The only truely accurate pressure sensor I have is my calibrate Kestrel, my home one is of by quite a little, I only trust my Kestrel. I've tested my Leica against my Kestrel by actually shooting in the field using the numbers and the Leica was adequate for long range shooting but does not replace a Kestrel mainly because you have to hold to use, even a Kestrel you have to watch that you don't warm them up. I've ranged many elk to 1900+ yards and unlike many range finders when it gives me a range its accurate!

Maybe that is what I am doing wrong. But I put a thermometer and set it next to the Leica and compared temperatures. The RF is off by 3-10 degrees, always high, but it seems to fluctuate. The pressure also fluctuates from actuation to actuation by a few 10th of hg, and usually about .5 or .8 vs what the local weather station tells me it is at a given moment.

Honestly, I don't know if I am asking too much, that's why I posted. Thinking about temperatures and pressure is new to me, so I may be splitting hairs or whatever, I don't know.

Anyone know if you can turn off the temp and pressure in the 1600b when it makes the ballistic solution. I just want it to use the angle to determine the eHr.
On mine the resulting eHr is too short, or resulting in low shots. The line of sight measurement is right on, but I don't trust the eHr.

Anyone know if you can turn off the temp and pressure in the 1600b when it makes the ballistic solution. I just want it to use the angle to determine the eHr.
On mine the resulting eHr is too short, or resulting in low shots. The line of sight measurement is right on, but I don't trust the eHr.

Unfortunately, it seems, you cannot get a eHr without having a ballistic curve setup. So the ehr reading is ALWAYS taking the bullet drop in the ballistic curve into account. This is why your eHr is not what you would expect. This was stupid for Leica to do! It's really the only thing I don't like. So.... I just use the second button which provides temp, station pressure, AND shot angle. I enter the shot angle into my app with the other stuff and it works well.

Unfortunately, it seems, you cannot get a eHr without having a ballistic curve setup. So the ehr reading is ALWAYS taking the bullet drop in the ballistic curve into account. This is why your eHr is not what you would expect. This was stupid for Leica to do! It's really the only thing I don't like. So.... I just use the second button which provides temp, station pressure, AND shot angle. I enter the shot angle into my app with the other stuff and it works well.

I was thinking the eHr was taking into consideration temperature and barometric pressure and that is why it always seems like the distance was so much shorter. I had a Leupold LRF before and it seemed pretty accurate when it computed the shooting angle distance. This Leica gives a way shorter distance so that's why I thought maybe pressure had a lot to do with it. I was thinking about using the eHr distance to zero my rifle and then verify my results and angles, distances, and elevations.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.