Leica 1600B for yardage turrets?

And agreed. I wouldn't give up my vectronix for any of those listed. At 1-500 they all work good in nice conditions. Add som rain mist soft targets and it's a whole different ball game. I've been disappointed too many times in normal hunting conditions but not ideal weather where I couldn't get some of the usual big names to range consistently even to 600. With the vectronix that's no longer a concern

Last deer season here in PA I got to play with my G7BR2 in fog one day and snow two others. In the fog I was able to range a rock on a hillside at 984 yards, and at that distance with the fog I probably would not have been able to make out antlers on a deer. Similar performance in the snow, with ranges of 700 plus yards, where I would not have been able to adequately ID a target. In clear weather the longest range I have seen so far was 2531, sighted on a building. I know some of the folks on this site shoot farther than that, but I think I've got all I need in this gadget.

Agreed the minute you change any of the variables your turret becomes obsolete. Get a moa turret and a program and create drop charts for the field as backup. You have a lot more flexibility to change loads, out the scope on a different gun without the cost and in my opinion limited application of a fixed turret. If you're hunting at home in the same general conditions all the time to reasonable but not too extended ranges where the small variables may matter the turret could be fine..

Again I don't think some of you are getting it...The leica 1600B and BR2 can be matched to your yardage turrent and then inputted with current conditions, and make corrections for you so you do not have to have different yardage turrents, it corrects for angles as well. No need for charts and programs. The program is in the RF.

Again I don't think some of you are getting it...The leica 1600B and BR2 can be matched to your yardage turrent and then inputted with current conditions, and make corrections for you so you do not have to have different yardage turrents, it corrects for angles as well. No need for charts and programs. The program is in the RF.

No, the 1600B cannot be matched to your turret. You can only choose from a handful of ballistic curves that may or may not match your rifle. I haven't heard of one person that has had the Leica match their ballistics for every yardage. Some are close out to 500 yards or so, but after that it doesn't seem to work.

The reason for there being no need for a yardage turret is because even if you decide to use the BR2, it can give you your solution in MOA or yardage, but there is no real difference between the two, you are either dialing up based on a yardage number or based on a MOA number. So having a yardage based turret in that situation doesn't really help you at all.

The Leica basically needs a ballistic calculator or a drop chart. If you are doing that, using MOA dials is going to be easier.

You seem pretty set on yardage turrets so by all means proceed, I do think if you started a poll on how many here have tried and moved on from them you would see some interesting results...my only question is why?

As has been stated a moa or mil based turret can be used with either rangefinder you mentioned and is much more versatile than yardage turrets. There is no need for a yardage turret if you have a rangefinder with built in ballistic calculator...you simply range the object and dial the appropriate amount of correction.

What are you using to establish your velocity, bc , and drops to have your yardage turret made??? Any error during this process will hamstring you with invalid data to start with. What about changes in lots of powder etc...?

Adding a yardage turret to a scope is adding one more variable to the mix when you don't have to. I have seen enough failures in the field to subscribe to the KISS principle when it comes to this stuff.

There is nothing that can compete with field proven data when it comes to shooting at extended ranges and adding unneeded variables is a good way to get bad information.

Jordan@406

all the Variables like preasure changes in powder lots will also change your data card. so are you chronagraphing weekly and printing out new data cards? The dial into in yards and using the br2 g7 is not full proof. its just faster to get the corrected shoot to. all scopes have clicks you can always count if things change. or put your orig. turrent back on. I have been using the yard dial for 7 years now and it works great I have taken 15 plus big game beasts past 800 yards with this system and all were one shot kills with the exception of two and that was before a had zero stop. one of the shots was on a 6 point bull 1307 corrected yards 1 shot kill cliped the heart. But i unlike most people shoot 3000 to 5000 plus long range round each year.

I have seen just as many people dial in to the wrong corrections not using the yardage turrents when under the stress of all the variables and add a huge buck of a life time to the mix. just as many missed shots or wounded deer, elk,bears etc. from human error in dialing in.

Mark,

I'm glad you've had success with yardage turrets.

I don't use a chronograph to print out my range cards I use verified info from the field.. any changes in point of impact can then be noted and deciphered.

I always check my drops when switching components be it new lot of powder, bullets or primers.

Obviously you have found a system that works best for you and the OP may choose to go that route as well which is great ...I wish him the best.

However there are limitations to yardage turrets and I think its important that new shooters understand this.

The dial into in yards and using the br2 g7 is not full proof. its just faster to get the corrected shoot to.

How is it faster to dial for yards versus MOA? If you have one dial with yardage marks and another with MOA marks, how is one faster than the other?

How is it faster to dial for yards versus MOA? If you have one dial with yardage marks and another with MOA marks, how is one faster than the other?

let say you need 21 moa to target and thats 1000 yards do you have 8,10,12 14 16 moa per 360 lets say 12 moa per rev. so you need to count past 12 or go 2 revs than back off 3 when in yards no need count just go to 10 for 1000 less margens for human error or thinking. ( faster)

let say you need 21 moa to target and thats 1000 yards do you have 8,10,12 14 16 moa per 360 lets say 12 moa per rev. so you need to count past 12 or go 2 revs than back off 3 when in yards no need count just go to 10 for 1000 less margens for human error or thinking. ( faster)

As 406 said, to each his own. I just don't see how potentially saving the two seconds it might take someone to figure out how to dial to 21 MOA is worth the added difficulty and other steps of a yardage turret. If you are dialing more than 12 MOA, you better not be in such a hurry that those two seconds matter IMO. Rushing shots at those distances is never a good idea.

This guy was talking about 600 yard shots. As much as you guys want to make it seem like the most completed thing in the world. Even under extreme changes it would change 3". While some might argue this is unacceptable this is well withing the kill zone of a deer or elk. Honestly he doesn't even need the corrected yardage or all the other stuff. If he just ranged and shot the yardage he would kill the animal provided is rifle was under 1 moa to begin with.
While I agree with you guys and also shoot using moa turrets and ballistic program. and also agree that over 600 yards to however far you want to shoot that using this system is much more accurate. However he said 600 yards and yardage turrets. The lieca 1600 is the best rangefinder for that money or bang for the buck. So even if he doesn't use a ballistic curve and just uses straight range finder paired with his turret He will be fine. To the op get your rangefinder and go shooting to verify your data and get confident that your system is working. After that's taken care of you can get that deer of a lifetime. If you find yourself wanting more Just put the moa turret back on and get an ballistic program, your rangefinder is up to tge task to grow with you.

This guy was talking about 600 yard shots. As much as you guys want to make it seem like the most completed thing in the world. Even under extreme changes it would change 3". While some might argue this is unacceptable this is well withing the kill zone of a deer or elk. Honestly he doesn't even need the corrected yardage or all the other stuff. If he just ranged and shot the yardage he would kill the animal provided is rifle was under 1 moa to begin with.
While I agree with you guys and also shoot using moa turrets and ballistic program. and also agree that over 600 yards to however far you want to shoot that using this system is much more accurate. However he said 600 yards and yardage turrets. The lieca 1600 is the best rangefinder for that money or bang for the buck. So even if he doesn't use a ballistic curve and just uses straight range finder paired with his turret He will be fine. To the op get your rangefinder and go shooting to verify your data and get confident that your system is working. After that's taken care of you can get that deer of a lifetime. If you find yourself wanting more Just put the moa turret back on and get an ballistic program, your rangefinder is up to tge task to grow with you.

110% agree!!

This guy was talking about 600 yard shots. As much as you guys want to make it seem like the most completed thing in the world. Even under extreme changes it would change 3".

I agree with a lot of what you said, but at 600 yards using the exact setup the OP posted about (270win, 140 berger, 2,847fps) I could have a 6" difference in the two different elevations I hunt in Colorado. That is assuming a flat shot and the same temperature. So it can have an effect depending on how much you are changing the conditions. Just something to keep in mind because to me, 6" is substantial.

But yes, for the most part if the OP is hunting the same location and elevation and the only thing that can change is temps, then yes, he should be just fine getting a yardage on the Leica, dialing, and shooting inside of 600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.