Leica 1600B for yardage turrets?

I agree with a lot of what you said, but at 600 yards using the exact setup the OP posted about (270win, 140 berger, 2,847fps) I could have a 6" difference in the two different elevations I hunt in Colorado. That is assuming a flat shot and the same temperature. So it can have an effect depending on how much you are changing the conditions. Just something to keep in mind because to me, 6" is substantial.

But yes, for the most part if the OP is hunting the same location and elevation and the only thing that can change is temps, then yes, he should be just fine getting a yardage on the Leica, dialing, and shooting inside of 600 yards.

Just a tip for fine-tuning a yardage turret. If you have one for an altitude significantly different from where you find yourself hunting, you can re-zero at long distance. For example, if at 600 yards, your turret is 6 inches off, dial up (or down) the 1 MOA, then slip said turret so the 600 yard mark is now correct. For all shots closer, you will still be within the 1 MOA difference. This is functional, and means less to think about in the heat of the moment. If a shot a little longer than 600 presents itself, you will still be within functional limits for another 100 or so, just don't get carried away with this method. I prefer to use a turret with both forms of info on it.

Attachments

• Turret examples 004.JPG
    Turret examples 004.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 52
My meat rifles that get used every time I go out are set up with yardage AND moa on the turret. There is huge benefits to both methods, I'll flat smoke a guy ranging, checking apps and dialing moa inside 6-800 yards depending on the chambering. If the range, conditions or time dictate that I could/should take every possible input into account I can also pull out all my tools and crank on the exact moa and put a precision cold bore shot on target.
If a guy is worried about something when using the ballistic turret it's easy to punch in the conditions in an app while rocking on it or before leaving the truck you know where your at.

Just a tip for fine-tuning a yardage turret. If you have one for an altitude significantly different from where you find yourself hunting, you can re-zero at long distance. For example, if at 600 yards, your turret is 6 inches off, dial up (or down) the 1 MOA, then slip said turret so the 600 yard mark is now correct. For all shots closer, you will still be within the 1 MOA difference. This is functional, and means less to think about in the heat of the moment. If a shot a little longer than 600 presents itself, you will still be within functional limits for another 100 or so, just don't get carried away with this method. I prefer to use a turret with both forms of info on it.

Now that is a great idea!

My meat rifles that get used every time I go out are set up with yardage AND moa on the turret. There is huge benefits to both methods, I'll flat smoke a guy ranging, checking apps and dialing moa inside 6-800 yards depending on the chambering. If the range, conditions or time dictate that I could/should take every possible input into account I can also pull out all my tools and crank on the exact moa and put a precision cold bore shot on target.
If a guy is worried about something when using the ballistic turret it's easy to punch in the conditions in an app while rocking on it or before leaving the truck you know where your at.

And so is that! Great input guys. Now you have me thinking... :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.