Leica 1600B? Ballistics?

goebs66

So from all the articles I've been reading, I hear the ballistics that the Leica 1600B gives is completely off and you can't even input your ammo weight and BC... Why does everyone spend the money on this if the ballistics function is useless? Why not save the money and get the Leica without the ballistics? Should I get a swarovski instead? I only have 800 bucks to spend and I only need to range 900-1000 yards MAX... Mostly 400-600. Any recomendations?

Forget about the ballistics on the 1600B. The drop on all my rifles does not come close to their offerings. Buy the 1600 or 1600B for it's small pocket size and great ranging ability.

I don't use the ballistic options provided and did not purchase the unit for that purpose. I purchased for a unit that is dependable, light weight/compact and the ability to range accurately in all types of environmental conditions. Like most, I wish it had a manual input for ballistic parameters.

Forget about the ballistics on the 1600B. The drop on all my rifles does not come close to their offerings. Buy the 1600 or 1600B for it's small pocket size and great ranging ability.

Spot on advice ! If you want a ballistic rangefinder buy the G7 !

I would but I have all mil scopes and turrets... You guys have finally convinced me on the Leica 1600B. Now I just have to figure out what Kestrel to buy!!!

Assuming you have an accurate gun, a good load, and decent shooting ability why
not just buy a rangfinder and prepare a drop chart based on average data where you
shoot? Drop charts are cheap and they work. You might be surprised by the ammount
of shooters who fill their freezers without the (necessary) things nobody ever heard of
10 years ago. You will never know unless you try.

"Assuming you have an accurate gun, a good load, and decent shooting ability why
not just buy a rangfinder and prepare a drop chart based on average data where you
shoot? Drop charts are cheap and they work. You might be surprised by the ammount
of shooters who fill their freezers without the (necessary) things nobody ever heard of
10 years ago. You will never know unless you try."

Blasphemy!

I don't use the ballistic options provided and did not purchase the unit for that purpose. I purchased for a unit that is dependable, light weight/compact and the ability to range accurately in all types of environmental conditions. Like most, I wish it had a manual input for ballistic parameters.

Im still trying to grasp the whole angle calculator, and EHR (equivalent Horizontal Range). Since I won't be using the ballistics, but the angles calculator and EHR are supposed to be spot on, how would I adjust for this in my ballistics app? Like when making a shot from an elevated position looking down, would I just plug in the EHR Leica 1600B gives me as the distance? or Should I plug in the angle and normal distance separately?

Hey Geo, I had a quick question about the Leica 1600B rangefinder. I know that it can give you the EHR (equivalent horizontal distance) for shooting uphill/downhill. and the EHR takes into account angle, temperature and barometric pressure. So if you plug in the EHR and then the temp and bp... you might miss that shot because your double compensating for those factors. I was wondering if there was any way the Leica 1600B can give the temperature, barometric pressure and/or angle separately? OR are they all put together to give the EHR and there is no way to separate them and have it give me the separate readings?

Thanks!
Colin Goebel

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.