leica 1200 or swarovski 8x30 laser guide?

joejo

i can buy a used swaro laser guide for 500 bucks that is in almost perfect shape but has no paperwork or i can buy a brand new in box leica 1200 crf for 455. which one would you guys buy given this opportunity. i am not sure how leica is as far as warranty repair or repairs in general. what if the used unit breaks, will swarovski still help me out with repair?

neither of these units are stolen or any bs like that, the swaro was a display/test unit and the leica is an overstock.

It would depend on where and what you will be ranging. How about a max distance, size of game and terain... hills, mountains or flats.

Jeff

I want to know where to get a new Leica fro 455???

i have connections! ha ha

anyway, i am in pennsylvania an will be using it for varmit ranging out to 800+ yards. right now my limit is 700 but when i build my 6.5 it will hopefully jump to 1000+

i have connections! i am in pennsylvania an will be using it for varmit ranging out to 800+ yards. right now my limit is 700 but when i build my 6.5 it will hopefully jump to 1000+

For smaller targets on flat ground, I would go Leica with the smaller beam divergence of the two. If you are in the hills ranging into hillsides the Swaro will range farther. But if you use the Swaro with a larger beam than the Leica on flat ground you risk the chance of inconsistant reading from it getting objects before or after the target. I have been using both for two years now.

Hope this helps you decide, both are good prices and very good units for the money. But I favor the leica.

Jeff

i have connections! ha ha

anyway, i am in pennsylvania an will be using it for varmit ranging out to 800+ yards. right now my limit is 700 but when i build my 6.5 it will hopefully jump to 1000+

Then Ill take two! haha

I just bought the Leica 1200(from Doug at Camerlandny.com he put up with no less than 5 calls thanks Doug) after about a month of trying to choose between the Zeiss and Leica.

I chose the Leica for the size. Swaros are nice but overkill for me. Good luck!

joejo~

I had the Leica and used it for many years, but eventually sold it for the Swaro...

I use a range finder hard... and expect it to service me well.
I use range finders from varmint hunting in PA to big game hunting in Alaska.
When you are trying to decide on which manufacturer, and are comparing the differences between the two, keep in mind that they are both class 1 lasers. These lasers are susceptible to bright sun light. Both will give you some degree of difficulty in ranging on bright sunny days on marginally reflective targets on flat ground...
Both the Leica and the Swaro will serve you well out to the 1K mark that you mentioned.
Do a search on here and read the many posts on the subject as that may help you make your final decision.
My personal opinion would be to buy, read... steal, the Swaro for $500.00 cool ones and you'll never regret it.

Joe jo I would sugest you buy both & sell me the swaro for $25.00 more than you paid & we will both be happy

Joe jo I would sugest you buy both & sell me the swaro for $25.00 more than you paid & we will both be happy

how about you send me 550 and i'll buy both, try both and send you one of the two. if i send a leica i send it with 25 bucks

I"m tempted, I am also looking @ the 1600 lieca for 799 plus my 150.00 cash card & lieca no intrest for 1 year on the cabela card I figure I need to start getting christmas preasents soon any way so the 150 cash card would be a g'me
my buddy just bought the 1600 he says it easily gos to 1600 in early morning & late evening on trees I am waiting to see how it does on deer & antelope
before i spend the cash

8x30 Swaro Rangefinder.
If all your shootings are past 1200yrds, then go with swaro, but if you are under 1k go Leica.
I owned Swaro, and I'm more then happy. When I will go up in caliber CheyTAc then I have to get a military rangefinder to read 2400 and up yards.
Till then swaro will fit the bill up to 1950yrds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.